Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Mar 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #196 of 1,273
Quote:
Comments from him are just another data point. Would you prefer I didn't send it and get another viewpoint before release?
rolleyes.gif

Naw man - good thinking.
wink_face.gif
  Like I said..  I'm routing for it..

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #197 of 1,273
Quote:
Sending my X-Sabre to Purrin/Anaxilus tonight. Should have some comments from Purrin sometime next week.

Doesn't Purrin also own a PWD MkII? I would like to hear his thoughts too.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #199 of 1,273
Now this thread is becoming very interesting! 
L3000.gif

Andy.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #200 of 1,273
I agree - the more data points the better. Purrin loved the Matrix M-Stage but wasn't a huge fan of the Quattro DAC when I sent it his way. In fairness I agreed with some of his criticisms but not all of them. But the X-Sabre is superior in every way to the Quattro DAC, except for functionality where the Quattro is king. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #201 of 1,273
Yes, I would love to see comparison of PWD mk2, NAD m51, Master 7 and X-Sabre .........I am looking at you Preproman.....
popcorn.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #203 of 1,273
Purrin and Anax were able to compare the PWD and the M51, so they should be able to give some general comparisons to the X-Sabre.

Quote:
Yes, I would love to see comparison of PWD mk2, NAD m51, Master 7 and X-Sabre .........I am looking at you Preproman.....
popcorn.gif

Having heard the Quattro, THIS really has me interested now!
Quote:
I agree - the more data points the better. Purrin loved the Matrix M-Stage but wasn't a huge fan of the Quattro DAC when I sent it his way. In fairness I agreed with some of his criticisms but not all of them. But the X-Sabre is superior in every way to the Quattro DAC, except for functionality where the Quattro is king. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #205 of 1,273
I don't think there was ever a full thread or anything... just some comparisons "here and there" when they had both in house.  I'll check to see if there was anything more extensive/formal.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #206 of 1,273
I apologize if I missed it, but how does this compare to the Anedio D2?  

I feel like I am stalking Project86.  Concero, X-Sabre, and Anedio are the 3 DACs I am looking at, with the Anedio a possible all in one solution.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #207 of 1,273

Quote:
Yes I know. Anaxilus is giving me crap about it too.

LOL. I don't have any skin in this, but consider the differences between your setups (sometimes it's good to stop and think about these things):

Amplifier differences:
Anax's S7 is tuned for his HD800 and his tastes with a specific set of tubes. His S7 is more liquid and does tend to take a little of the treble grain and edge of the HD800. The BHA-1 has a sharper leading edge (but in a suprisingly good way) compared than the S7.

Headphone differences:
Although your HD800 is among the most relaxed sounding of all of the HD800s I've measured, it still doesn't sound that different from the other HD800s. It's still an HD800. Anax's HD800 is not only modded, it's modded with his latest Anax mod v3 (or Rabid Dawg 2), which has not been released to the public. And that mod really turns the HD800 into something else

DAC variables:
I assume the PWD is running 2.10 or 2.20 of the firmware and not 2.02 or 2.03. The latest firmware can sound awful. I never post to manufacturers' forums, but I felt it was so awful (with Anax 1 mod HD800 + ECBA) that I actually had to give Paul at PS Audio my own two cents: http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/3031/pwd-firmware-version-2.0.2/p5 (scroll down a little bit)

I think this easily accounts for your differences of opinion. I too would throw the PWD2 under the bus under the conditions which you auditioned it. It's not a forgiving DAC I would recommend for the brighter headphones, especially with firmware 2.10+. I am actually running 2.20 right now, but that's for speakers or the HE-500 (through a power amp), which are entirely different beasts.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #208 of 1,273
All very true. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the X-Sabre under those conditions. I am still waiting for the latest rabid dawg before I try one.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #209 of 1,273
Quote:

Allready hooked it up with your Yulong A18?
How does is compare with the D18?
I am looking for an upgrade to match with my A18 and HD800.Obviously the Yulong D18 would "fit"the best estethic wise,but his new Dac has my attention also.
But the D18 can be had for AU$650 and is quit cheaper than the XSabre which goes for $1099
Which you would recommend?

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #210 of 1,273
Maxvla's ears aren't busted... The PWD2s at the Austin meet did sound off. That said, most of my negative impressions (especially things that sounded harsh or abrasive) of any equipment that day, I've chalked up to having to have the volume up so loud to counter conversations.  We were not very good at all about being quiet.  Volume just makes treble issues that much worse.  That said, the PWD2 still sounded like it had a digital gradient, a stepped like sound, on occasion.  That could be the source recording though.  I never had a chance to play music I was intimately familiar with out of it.

I really wanted to get a PWD2 on my system, but we just didn't do enough swapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back