Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Nov 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #721 of 1,273
  Thanks for the idea. The problem was the the device was connected to USB 3.0 port (for Dr.Dac2 it doesnt matter) but for X-Sabre made sense. 

So now it works properly. No interruption, no clocking, and it is switching modes (44.1, 48, x2, x4.. etc) depends on quality of HD video and FLAC record automatically.

Put my Dr.Dac2 on the shelf and begun to choose headfone amp with XLК inputs. Believe that would be Quattro from Matrix. 

wait, does this mean the x-sabre is not compatible with usb3 ports? i currently have only usb2 ports from my pc but new motherboards have only usb3 ports, and new macs only come with usb3. does the x-sabre not work with those?

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #722 of 1,273
  wait, does this mean the x-sabre is not compatible with usb3 ports? i currently have only usb2 ports from my pc but new motherboards have only usb3 ports, and new macs only come with usb3. does the x-sabre not work with those?

dont panic, there is chance that mine one (usb3.0) is damaged. As i know usb 3.0 supports usb 2.0. let me have a chance to put it to another usb 3.0 and get feedback from other owners. 

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #724 of 1,273
Last week I ordered this dac from the French website audiophonics.fr. Normally I wouldn´t order something which sounds good on paper but they were kind enough to let me try it.

I feel it is only natural for me to write a little something about it. First of all I would like to say it´s not a keeper. It´s going back where it came from.

Most reviews and opinions I read are generally positive and I don´t mean about the X-Sabre in particular but about alle equipment in general. My experience with stuff I order on the internet which everybody raves about is mostly a disappointment. This was no exception. Perhaps combined with other gear (I don´t own) it can really shine but I can only comment on my experience.

It shares some properties with the Weiss DAC202 (perhaps this is true for all sabre based dacs) that is has a very airy and laid back presentation. It is never harsh in any way, which is nice. You can listen for hours without fatigue. No complaints in the detail department too. And that´s about it.

I always like my hifi better not doing things then doing them wrong. That´s where the problem is. I think some people forget what real instruments sound like. Cymbals and stings sound really compressed, even ´thin´. There is no attack and decay when striking a note. Cymbals sometimes sound more like a hiss than a cymbal. There is little involvement in the music. It doesn´t get my foot tapping.

So even though I could listen for hours without getting tired I don´t want to. I don´t want to kill it, as stated before perhaps for some people this can be a great piece of kit, it just isn´t for me. I don´t have an agenda. I just wanted to counter all the positive with a critical note. Maybe the lesson to be learned here is try before you buy.

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #725 of 1,273
Glad it worked Gibalok!

There's been a lot of discussion of USB 3/2 issues on AK100 thread and people have found ways that work.

Also, I'm getting the Quattro in a couple of weeks so I'll let you know how it goes. If you get it first I'd love your impressions.

Loquah, seams you will get your one before I will. 

I have one more question. What setup in windows/control panel/audio/x-sabre should i do for different sounds (you tube/skype/windows sounds) be able to sound when x-sabre is running in 48KHZ x 2/4/8 (ASIO/DSD_ASIO)?

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #726 of 1,273
This is the first real negative review I've seen about this DAC and even rarer is criticism about the ESS 9018 chip in general. I was under the impression that MOST higher end DAC's use the 9018 DAC chips? By your description I'm still not sure what your complaint is about. The reason I'm asking was because I was just about to pull the trigger on purchasing this DAC.

Quote:
  Last week I ordered this dac from the French website audiophonics.fr. Normally I wouldn´t order something which sounds good on paper but they were kind enough to let me try it.

I feel it is only natural for me to write a little something about it. First of all I would like to say it´s not a keeper. It´s going back where it came from.

Most reviews and opinions I read are generally positive and I don´t mean about the X-Sabre in particular but about alle equipment in general. My experience with stuff I order on the internet which everybody raves about is mostly a disappointment. This was no exception. Perhaps combined with other gear (I don´t own) it can really shine but I can only comment on my experience.

It shares some properties with the Weiss DAC202 (perhaps this is true for all sabre based dacs) that is has a very airy and laid back presentation. It is never harsh in any way, which is nice. You can listen for hours without fatigue. No complaints in the detail department too. And that´s about it.

I always like my hifi better not doing things then doing them wrong. That´s where the problem is. I think some people forget what real instruments sound like. Cymbals and stings sound really compressed, even ´thin´. There is no attack and decay when striking a note. Cymbals sometimes sound more like a hiss than a cymbal. There is little involvement in the music. It doesn´t get my foot tapping.

So even though I could listen for hours without getting tired I don´t want to. I don´t want to kill it, as stated before perhaps for some people this can be a great piece of kit, it just isn´t for me. I don´t have an agenda. I just wanted to counter all the positive with a critical note. Maybe the lesson to be learned here is try before you buy.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #727 of 1,273
@dirtrat: I feel that coolchillies' impression is less of a negative review, but rather something that further strengthens the point that personal preference is very very important, perhaps the most important, in the mid-high range gear world. The impressions match what project86 said in the first page review, that the X-Sabre has a slightly laid back presentation, on the warm side of neutral, which project86 and many others liked, but coolchillies thought it was too mellow or thin, which is completely fair. It all comes down to your ears in the end, as we don't all like the same things.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #728 of 1,273

Coolchillies, have you returned the X-Sabre yet? I just remembered a review I read (not on this site) before I bought the X-Sabre and it mentioned some issues with higher frequencies prior to burn-in. I tested this straight from the box and agree that the upper frequencies sounded a bit unnatural and it made the overall presentation not enjoyable. After a couple of days though that issue completely went away. Maybe give your X-Sabre a few days before returning it if you can.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #729 of 1,273

Coolchillies, have you returned the X-Sabre yet? I just remembered a review I read (not on this site) before I bought the X-Sabre and it mentioned some issues with higher frequencies prior to burn-in. I tested this straight from the box and agree that the upper frequencies sounded a bit unnatural and it made the overall presentation not enjoyable. After a couple of days though that issue completely went away. Maybe give your X-Sabre a few days before returning it if you can.

I had it on constantly a few nights to let it burn in. The first hours the change in sound was really obvious. After that I didn't feel it got better of worse. Perhaps I could ask to keep it a bit longer. My review period was only a week.

Could you find the post you mentioned?

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #730 of 1,273
Im also now selecting proper power cord for X-Sabre and Cambridge Audio. Is it worth to change stock 3$ cable for DAC and AMP? 

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #731 of 1,273
Im also now selecting proper power cord for X-Sabre and Cambridge Audio. Is it worth to change stock 3$ cable for DAC and AMP? 

I'm making my own cables soon. I'll let you know...

I've been recently converted to a USB believer so I'm open to considering power cable improvements.

Coolchillies, I have no idea where I found the review, but I Googled "Matrix X-Sabre review" or something similar. Only one or two non-Head-Fi results show up.

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #732 of 1,273
Re USB 3.0 

I just got an official reply from Matrix: the XMOS chip not support USB 3.0 standard, this information is confirmed by XMOS chip datasheet.

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #733 of 1,273
Re powe supply. I just was recommended by local cable dealer to feed X-Sabre with Supra LORAD 1.5 CS-EU 2M ($150), and CA Azur with Nordost Red Dawn1,5m (Damn... 450$). 

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #734 of 1,273
  Re USB 3.0 

I just got an official reply from Matrix: the XMOS chip not support USB 3.0 standard, this information is confirmed by XMOS chip datasheet.

The new Mac Mini's are USB 3. Don't the USB 3 ports fall back to USB 2 if needed?

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #735 of 1,273

The new Mac Mini's are USB 3. Don't the USB 3 ports fall back to USB 2 if needed?

Please contact Matrix support via official website to get unbiased info on that. 

Personally, its not clear what is the reason to support DSD (pretty weighty) and not support USB 3.0 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back