Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?
Feb 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #16 of 289
Bought one today. Pairing with the LCD-2.2 is nothing short of perfect. 

I'll post more impressions tomorrow, but I'm pretty impressed with this thing.

I won't lie, it's pretty neat to see the sample rate on the OLED display change, depending on the track you're listening to. A neat touch. 

Also, the metal remote isn't anything I thought I would use, but it's pretty handy for watching movies.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #19 of 289
I have both of the new Mini-I products here for review. A slight snag has come up and I am waiting for Chinese New Year to end so I can contact Matrix headquarters. I am hoping to have a review of both soon.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 289
I have both of the new Mini-I products here for review. A slight snag has come up and I am waiting for Chinese New Year to end so I can contact Matrix headquarters. I am hoping to have a review of both soon.

I'm mostly interested in how much SQ improvement comes with the extra $110 -> $120 for the ESS9018 vs the AD1955 chip(s). The pictures don't show any difference in layout other than the DAC chip placement (as there are two AD1955s and one 8 channel ESS9018)

Thanks

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 289
The Pro uses the 9016 not 9018. There is also the remote control to account for cost difference.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 289
My mistake on the ESS Sabre #...one level down eh? The site I referred to advertised the AD1955 with remote included in the title...until the fine print said add $30...should be illegal

So,

$415.99.00 for AD1955 with remote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-New-Matrix-mini-I-24bit-384khz-DAC-Headphone-Amp-with-remote-control

$505.99 for ESS9016: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-MATRIX-Mini-i-Pro-24bit-384kHz-DSD-DXD-DAC-Headphone-Amp-w-Remote-Control

$90 difference

I saw your short write up on another site saying the treble presentation with AD1955 was "more correct" but less dynamic.  Also, you mentioned the bass (impact?) is noticeably better with the ESS9016.

After more time do you have anything to add to keep us going until your review...ie is there without a doubt a $90 SQ improvement with the ESS9016 and how does the Mini-i pro compare to your X-Sabre?

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #23 of 289
There's a potential problem I need to talk with Matrix about before I go further. Those were initial impressions on the day I got the units so they were fresh out of the box. They haveboth changed slightly or I have changed to them and I am more informed about the details as well as synergies and so forth.

Btw, I haven't looked into those EBay links but I would be wary of warranty not being honored.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 289
There's a potential problem I need to talk with Matrix about before I go further. Those were initial impressions on the day I got the units so they were fresh out of the box. They haveboth changed slightly or I have changed to them and I am more informed about the details as well as synergies and so forth.

Btw, I haven't looked into those EBay links but I would be wary of warranty not being honored.

Let me know if I can help - happy to run tests on my new Mini-i Pro.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #27 of 289
Beautiful pics! It's a shame that stand's curvature is a bit off from the LCD-2's.

Easy fix, it's just the unfortunate way I placed them for the photo.. 
frown.gif

They comfortably sit flush, usually. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #30 of 289
Warm, yes. I haven't left it on for days, however.

White Lotus
Have you ever listened to a SABRE32 Reference ES9018 32-bit audio DAC chip? If so how does it compare? I had it in my Oppo BDP-105 and really liked the sound of it. I am just wondering how it compares to this ES9016 chip?
Also how is the build of the Pro all aluminum, and is the display really white? It kinda of looks blue in your pictures.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back