Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,968 of 5,176
No, the lid will not fit back on with any kind of Burson opamp standing up.

Why the extra socket, though?

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #4,969 of 5,176
No, the lid will not fit back on with any kind of Burson opamp standing up.

Why the extra socket, though?

Seriously? That kind of makes it useless. Without the lid dust will be a serious problem.

The V5 SS is only 29mm high so I would have thought that the lid would fit back on.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #4,970 of 5,176
You can buy Burson Audio op-amps direct:

http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5/

The V5-OPA-D is shipped with an extender base:

Once you remove it, you will have the clearance needed to put the cover back tightly on the Matrix M-Stage.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #4,971 of 5,176
Dec 10, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #4,972 of 5,176
In my reviews of the Burson Audio Supreme Sound V5-OPA-D op-amp chip, I may have neglected to mention, how, when comparing it to the Matrix M-Stage's stock OPA2134 op-amp, that it replaces, how there is so much less high frequency smear with the Burson Audio chip. There is simply no denying that. I also need to mention how incredibly wide the soundstage is with the V5 op-amp. For instance, when something is panned right, with the V5 op-amp, it seems to be so far right, that it is almost beyond belief, which would mean that the chip has incredible separation. Listening to audio through the Supreme Sound V5 op-amp is an experience that you may have never heard before. It's an all around (necessary) worthwhile upgrade (IMO), and it sounds absolutely fantastic through my trusty reference SONY 7506 headphones. I'd also like to mention how stable audio sounds through the V5. With the OPA 2134, I can hear some image movement of frequencies and instruments. With the V5, these images are now rock solid. I am mainly a transistor guy, because I like low distortion (unless it's made by the musicians). Most of the times I recognize distortion by a haze around the audio. With the Supreme Sound V5 chip, I don't hear any haze at all.   

Dave 

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #4,973 of 5,176
2134/2132 is junk, tons of opamps sound better, even the ubiquitous 2068, 4556, and 4580.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #4,974 of 5,176
im really worried about that popping sound in hear in my headphones during power cycles with the phones plugged in.
so my sessions goes something like this.
1 - turn m stage amp on
2 - plug headphone (i hear a little pop here but not as bad)
3 - crank the volume knob up(usually around 10 o clock position)
4 - play music
after listening session is done it goes like this
1 - turn off all music/sounds
2 - turn volume all the way back down
3 - unplug headphone
4 - turn off m stage

am i doing this correctly or do some of you have a different set of rituals when using the m stage.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #4,975 of 5,176
  im really worried about that popping sound in hear in my headphones during power cycles with the phones plugged in.
so my sessions goes something like this.
1 - turn m stage amp on
2 - plug headphone (i hear a little pop here but not as bad)
3 - crank the volume knob up(usually around 10 o clock position)
4 - play music
after listening session is done it goes like this
1 - turn off all music/sounds
2 - turn volume all the way back down
3 - unplug headphone
4 - turn off m stage

am i doing this correctly or do some of you have a different set of rituals when using the m stage.

You have the exact procedure down.  Honestly, this is a good practice for any amp, M-Stage or otherwise.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4,977 of 5,176
My Burson V5 arrived today and after a couple of hours listening to it I think it's safe to say that it's an amazing little product.

I've been going back and forward between the Muses8820 and the class A biased OPA627 the last couple of months and I'm really impressed of how the V5 manage to take the M-stage to a whole new level in comparison.

Unfortunately I'll be pretty busy the next couple of days but I hope that I'll be able to share some more impressions by the end of this weekend.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4,978 of 5,176
If you think that sounds good, just wait until you try the V5 in a Supreme Sound Lycan. You'll think you died and went to heaven. If you can, put it on your future purchase list (it's very affordably priced). After hearing the Lycan, with the V5, the Matrix M-Stage will sound slow, and sloppy. I really want to love my Matrix M-Stage again, but the Lycan is just so quick, with every musical note. Vocalists sound like they are standing right in front of you, singing to no one else but you. BTW, what is your current headphone of choice? 

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #4,979 of 5,176
If you think that sounds good, just wait until you try the V5 in a Supreme Sound Lycan. You'll think you died and went to heaven. If you can, put it on your future purchase list (it's very affordably priced). After hearing the Lycan, with the V5, the Matrix M-Stage will sound slow, and sloppy. I really want to love my Matrix M-Stage again, but the Lycan is just so quick, with every musical note. Vocalists sound like they are standing right in front of you, singing to no one else but you. BTW, what is your current headphone of choice? 

Lol! There's always the next step up :wink:

The Lycan looks really nice though, I will have to read up a bit.

I've got way to many headphones (surprise in here) but for the last year the Fidelio X2's have been my favorite. The Q701, SR325is and a couple of different modded T50RP's also get some head time.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #4,980 of 5,176

Lol! There's always the next step up
wink.gif

The Lycan looks really nice though, I will have to read up a bit.

I've got way to many headphones (surprise in here) but for the last year the Fidelio X2's have been my favorite. The Q701, SR325is and a couple of different modded T50RP's also get some head time.

You lucky dog. I wish I could get some head time...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back