Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Nov 10, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4,951 of 5,176
Today I installed biasing mod with OPA627AP. The sound opened up really nicely. Both my HE-500 and T90 sound fantastic through my M-Stage. The old M-Stage is not a novelty but it is a super nice amp in the price range up to $500.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #4,952 of 5,176
Hi All,

I am wondering what is the differences between these 2 products:
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-c-67.html
and
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-usb-24bit-96khz-class-a-headphone-amplifier-p-199.html

Is it only the extra USB input instead of one of the analog inputs, or are there other differences like what is mentioned at the first product:
" New 2012 version with upgraded power transformer and redesigned circuit"

The m stage is showed as 2012 v2.1 version and the usb m stage as 2011, does somebody know explain why?

Thanks a lot! :)

Edit: I've just realized that the second one have a cheap DAC, so I'll go for the first one.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #4,954 of 5,176
Hi All,

I am wondering what is the differences between these 2 products:
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-c-67.html
and
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-usb-24bit-96khz-class-a-headphone-amplifier-p-199.html

Is it only the extra USB input instead of one of the analog inputs, or are there other differences like what is mentioned at the first product:

"New 2012 version with upgraded power transformer and redesigned circuit"

The m stage is showed as 2012 v2.1 version and the usb m stage as 2011, does somebody know explain why?

Thanks a lot! :)

Edit: I've just realized that the second one have a cheap DAC, so I'll go for the first one.

Looks like you have already figured out that the difference is one has a DAC, the other doesn't.
They both have the same headphone amp.

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #4,958 of 5,176
I am the proud owner of the fabulous Matrix M-Stage headphone amp. Immediately, out of the box, I loved this headphone amp. I am also a Radio Broadcast Engineer. I maintain radio stations, and have been, for a number of decades now. Radio stations are loaded with audio equipment. I have been listening to, and educating myself, on audio, for over 50 years. I also enjoy audio at home too, where I am better able to critically listen. My current favorite headphones are the SONY model 7506. I'm sure you have seen these everywhere. I have tried many sets of headphones over the years, but I seem to always come back to these, as I feel that they are extremely flat sounding, but at the same time, extremely revealing.

Purchasing the Matrix M-Stage has made my headphone listening take on a whole new experience. I thought this was the ultimate I've ever heard in headphone listening...until, I replaced the M-Stage's stock OPA 2134 op-amp chip, with a Burson Audio V5 SS (Supreme Sound) op-amp chip. Whoa! Immediately out of the box, I heard a difference in sound with this V5 chip. But, was the sound an improvement over the stock chip? I really had to study the sound of this chip, because it was was so dramatically different than the OPA 2134. It only took a few day days before I realized that the V5 SS chip was simply amazing, to the point, I probably couldn't live without it.

One of the most impressive aspects of the V5 is the improvement it makes in S/N ratio. Now S/N ratio is something I definitely know about. I strive for, not only in my home audio system, but also in the radio station studios I maintain, for the lowest noise floor possible. The Burson Audio V5 SS op-amp delivers an amazingly quiet noise floor. Music simply rises out of a blacker than black background. The bass response of this chip is to die for, and the high frequencies are unbelievable. I couldn't believe the texture I was hearing from violins. If you have an M-Stage, do your ears a favor, and give this op-amp a try. You won't regret it, as it is worth every cent. Changing out the op-amp is simple. This review wouldn't be complete unless I mentioned how distortion free the Burson Audio chip sounds, and after a while of listening, how my headphones simply seemed to melt away. I'm not kidding. I can't believe how much more pleasing to my ears the Burson Audio V5 SS op-amp chip sounds over the stock OPA 2134 chip. Simply unbelievable.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #4,960 of 5,176
Hi,

I bought the "Matrix m-stage Headphone Amplifier 2012 v.1" with the "Burr Brown OPA627AP Class A Biasing Mod" on 2013.

I want to buy a power amplifier and I have a question about the gain options. Are they affecting the line-out?

Do I also need to "match" the matrix m-stage with the power amplifier in terms of the output/input impedance?

I did a quick search before posting but I couldn't find something.

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #4,961 of 5,176
Impedance matching is only necessary between the speakers and power amp.  The gain settings do affect the "line-out" on the M-Stage's rear.

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #4,962 of 5,176
lol hd650 sounds way too heavy and thick on the m stage. i say hd600 and k701 are better matches.
maybe im just not use to it this type of sound.
edit- nvmd forget what i said. depends on the recording.
them string instruments. strings i say. anything with a sting and is drawn with a bow sound so good on the hd650
gs1000.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #4,963 of 5,176
I've been meaning to post some pictures of the Matrix M-Stage, with and without the Burson Audio V5-OPA-D op-amp chip. For those of you that have the M-Stage, the chip is very easily installed. BTW, back to the sound of this chip - there is so much more air around each instrument with the V5 chip. You just have to try one! 

http://s1318.photobucket.com

I'm new with the inserting pictures on this website, so I hope this works. I have a total of 5 Matrix M-Stages (yes, I love them that much). Pictured is one in one of the radio station's production studios. Since headphones are plugged, and unplugged, on a daily basis (numerous times), you'll see a simple headphone plug extender box plugged into the M-Stage. This allows me to conveniently replace the external jack, when needed, from wear.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back