Material experts: cured 100% silicone caulk safe for extended skin contact?
Jan 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been up and down the Intertubes, and can't find any semblance of an answer to this question.

I'm planning on attempting to make some custom sleeves/tips for my RE0 IEMs, and the material that I was thinking of using is 100% silicone caulk.

Now, before anyone thinks I'm completely crazy: I'm not going to be injecting this stuff in my ear. I'm getting professional impressions made. I'm then planning on making molds of the impressions with the silicone. So far, so good. However, the question then becomes if using this same material will be safe to use for the sleeves themselves, which will be left inside my ears for extended/repeated durations.

I realize that silicone caulk, in its uncured state, is not recommended to be in contact with skin for an extended period of time. However, once the silicone has been properly cured, can it remain in contact with the skin (specifically, the inner ear) for an extended period of time without risk? I've spent hours trying to find this answer, and I've come up completely empty handed.
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 31
Well, maybe the stuff that's rated for aquarium use.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, maybe the stuff that's rated for aquarium use.

Hmmm, interesting. Why do you say that?

I believe that the caulk that I have is safe for use in potable water pipes, once it is cured. I just don't know about direct contact with the skin.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I,m a window installation contractor once its dry you will be fine, been working with the stuff for almost 20 years.

Oh, you are a godsend, my friend! Thank you very much.
beerchug.gif

I'm so happy I could... I could... well, I could just go out and buy you an Owl City CD right now!

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, interesting. Why do you say that?

I believe that the caulk that I have is safe for use in potable water pipes, once it is cured. I just don't know about direct contact with the skin.

As i understand it, even the potable-water rated stuff puts out poisons for a while. But I'm hardly an expert.

I've just been assured by people who build their own tanks that if you don't use the aquarium-rated silicone, the fish do in fact die.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Oh, you are a godsend, my friend! Thank you very much.
beerchug.gif

I'm so happy I could... I could... well, I could just go out and buy you an Owl City CD right now!

lol no offense my friend. lmao
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

As i understand it, even the potable-water rated stuff puts out poisons for a while. But I'm hardly an expert.

I've just been assured by people who build their own tanks that if you don't use the aquarium-rated silicone, the fish do in fact die.

Okay, thanks. That's very helpful. I'm gonna check on this when I get back home.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

"Don't eat the lead paint" Hes not gonna ingest it.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 31
I don't know much about this, but you might want to look into the silicone used for prosthetics and costume making. I know that some people have bits and parts stuck to them for hours or days, so there must be something that's safe for contact. I'd look at distributors for movie/TV props and special effects companies.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather he's just going to put it inside his ear
biggrin.gif

Majority of tips are made of the same material ie. SILICON. actually its not a bad idea to make your own custom tips that way.Imo you could probably make some type of mold first then use the SILICON to fill or paste on the mold. If you give it a shot top pop let me know how it goes.

silicon in a tube= $3.00
little hard work= $0.00
custom tips for $3.00 = priceless
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much about this, but you might want to look into the silicone used for prosthetics and costume making. I know that some people have bits and parts stuck to them for hours or days, so there must be something that's safe for contact. I'd look at distributors for movie/TV props and special effects companies.

This is a very good idea. I thought about this, and I'm going to try to stop by a local store in town which sells a lot of costumes and costume making equipment. This is the same place where my lab purchases liquid latex that we use to coat sensors which we glue on people's tongues...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you give it a shot top pop let me know how it goes.

I'm planning on going through with it, I just need to find time that will work for my friend so she can squeeze me into her schedule for impressions. It may be tomorrow, actually.

Whenever I actually get the impressions, though, I'll start the process, taking pictures of the steps along the way. I'm going to make a pictorial guide, in case they actually turn out well, so that other people might be encouraged to try, as well.

Shortlist of materials, as a sneak peek:
biggrin.gif

-Professional ear impressions
-Silicone caulk
-Three shot glasses
-Candle wax
-Teflon tape
-Small tube (e.g. a small drinking straw)

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

This is a very good idea. I thought about this, and I'm going to try to stop by a local store in town which sells a lot of costumes and costume making equipment. This is the same place where my lab purchases liquid latex that we use to coat sensors which we glue on people's tongues...
tongue.gif

I'm planning on going through with it, I just need to find time that will work for my friend so she can squeeze me into her schedule for impressions. It may be tomorrow, actually.

Whenever I actually get the impressions, though, I'll start the process, taking pictures of the steps along the way. I'm going to make a pictorial guide, in case they actually turn out well, so that other people might be encouraged to try, as well.

Shortlist of materials, as a sneak peek:
biggrin.gif

-Professional ear impressions
-Silicone caulk
-Three shot glasses
-Candle wax
-Teflon tape
-Small tube (e.g. a small drinking straw)

use some clear rubber air line instead of a straw, might stretch better on the iem and its rigid enough to stay perfectly stait for which you intend to be using it for. home depot or lowes by the brass fittings
wink_face.gif
im gonna put this thread in my favs on my comp. just to keep tabs on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back