Match Week 2008
Mar 17, 2008 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
So this is the week, 4th year med students find out where they'll be training the next few years of their lives. Today I found out I matched into Radiology. Thursday I find out where. Anyone else going through this? A good friend of mine unfortunately didn't match ortho. If anyone has any advice on that, it'd be much appreciated. Anyone else matching this week?

Mar 18, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 16
It's sort of a complicated system. You can apply to whatever programs you want to and then you get interview invites then after that, you make a rank list of your favorite programs, the programs make a list of their favorite candidates, and a computer somewhere sorts it all out. I liken it to a giant matchmaking service.

I guess the short answer is that yes, you can choose what you're going in to by the programs to which you apply and then the programs that you rank.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's sort of a complicated system. You can apply to whatever programs you want to and then you get interview invites then after that, you make a rank list of your favorite programs, the programs make a list of their favorite candidates, and a computer somewhere sorts it all out. I liken it to a giant matchmaking service.

I guess the short answer is that yes, you can choose what you're going in to by the programs to which you apply and then the programs that you rank.

I see, that makes much more sense. Here at engineering school we pretty much just choose a path and do our best to not get kicked out. We also have to meet a certain class rank to get in to our major. Barring that though it's all smooth sailing...sort of.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebikingengineer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see, that makes much more sense. Here at engineering school we pretty much just choose a path and do our best to not get kicked out. We also have to meet a certain class rank to get in to our major. Barring that though it's all smooth sailing...sort of.

Match week doesn't sound all that different than trying to get a job after graduation in engineering. Back in my college days, I knew quite a few people who chose a path and had to change their path after graduation because jobs became scarce. I had a roommate Chem E major. His last semester, oil prices collapsed and jobs for Chem Es dried up. He was one of 3 people in his class that got jobs. The other 2 got jobs where they had cooped. He got his job though nepotism.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Hey, good luck everyone! I remember my match day - 1993, it was on St. Patricks day. Actually I don't really remember much of that day... I am a Radiologist now, but back then I matched in general surgery (the Lord's providence saved me from that fate after a couple of years!)

usc goose, congrats on rads. We are a growth industry for sure and the job market has remained good for quite a few years. Reimbursement continues to decline as it will for all medical specialties. But americans are addicted to their CT and MRI scans, so demand will only go up.

As for your friend, I doubt he will find an ortho spot in the scramble, but I do remember an old friend of mine who failed to match in urology. He ended up getting a non-catagorical spot in gen surg (no guarantees beyond one year) at Barnes Hospital which is where I matched. As luck would have it, although he wasn't the most brilliant guy around, he was a hard worker and a urology spot opened by chance at Barnes and they gave it to him. Luck yes, but you never know. My advice is to try to get a gen surg spot at the most respected academic center possible. Then work your a** off and maybe luck will be on your side. At least you can get a good recommendation and try again the next year.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 16
I'm going to SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn for my medicine internship and I'll be a radiology resident at Harlem Hospital. New York, here I come.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I'm going to SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn for my medicine internship and I'll be a radiology resident at Harlem Hospital. New York, here I come.

Congrats! Enjoy the stress release.

Remember, radiologists have the best toys. We also do our best work in the dark!
wink.gif

Who knows, my group may be hiring in 5 years. If you're interested in the sunny midwest...

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Congrats.
Head-fi-ing is a nice hobby, when you have to sit in those rooms in the dark all day. And it's not like you guys work much anyway...
tongue.gif
(I'm a clincian, in case that wasn't evident)
The NY scene for training is pretty intense, but as a radiologist you are somewhat shielded from that. The case variety is great for training.
Best of luck!

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks guys. I'm still in a little shock. But this should be fun. Never really lived outside of California before.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Thanks guys. I'm still in a little shock. But this should be fun. Never really lived outside of California before.

You'll love the weather
rolleyes.gif
Hot and muggy in the summer, cold and icy in the winter. Spring and fall are nice. I had a roommate who moved to DC from San Jose and was amazed at the fall colors and the flowers in spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back