Master Clock Talk
Oct 29, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #2,986 of 3,374
I have two Zero Zones powering my two AfterDarks and they're excellent, nice low noise supercap designs.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #2,987 of 3,374
Well I am not sure what to say but the LHY OCK-2 (deep black version, nice) arrived today and once installed I could notice the difference (positive) immediately. Now call it confirmation bias but the soundstage is more pronounced, mids are elevated and the detail is more intense in the best way.

I think the Audio-GD DAC's in particular benefit from a master clock due to the fact that their "secret sauce," is the DAC ignores the source clock (for me it is my RS130 streamer) and uses it own internal clock as the master clock UNTIL you connect a Master clock then the external clock controls all. I do have my streamer and Audio-GD DAC connected via square wave 50ohm and call it distortion or better clock timing but I like it. I wish I better understood how this can make a difference but it did.

For the clock haters be nice I am just relaying my single experience.

IMG_8639.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,988 of 3,374
Rock on Duffer5.... Give it some time. Hope you got a real decent clock cable to go with it.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #2,989 of 3,374
Hey late to the party but i got the lhy ock2 clock with aliexpress bnc cable. Connected it to gusyard u18 ddc. I want to use other output directly to the gustard r26 if i want to use it's streamer.
Question since this is 50 ohm version what happens if i use 75 ohm version of cable?
eg Gustard bnc cable which is 50 ohms and 75 ohms.
or if i get third party with 75ohms?

any guidance? plz

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #2,990 of 3,374
Hey late to the party but i got the lhy ock2 clock with aliexpress bnc cable. Connected it to gusyard u18 ddc. I want to use other output directly to the gustard r26 if i want to use it's streamer.
Question since this is 50 ohm version what happens if i use 75 ohm version of cable?

any guidance? plz
Hi,
If You use the sine wave ports output from the OCK2, it will work fine with the 75 Ohm cable. Square wave is more intolerant to impedance miss match, then You need a 50 Ohm BNC cable. Best alternative is for You to buy 50 Ohm BNC cables.
/Jan

Nov 1, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #2,991 of 3,374
To those who have a choice and who have a matching impedance cable: try both the sinewave and squarewave outputs and report back on what you hear in the music. I'm genuinely curious if what I hear is repeated elsewhere.

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,992 of 3,374

any guidance? plz
LHY uses 75ohm connectors so you have an impedance mismatch using square wave no matter what.

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #2,993 of 3,374
LHY uses 75ohm connectors so you have an impedance mismatch using square wave no matter what.
Trolling again... You know that connector impedance has a minimal influence on the reflections, but the effect you want to achieve is confuse new users.

@xkamran, ignore.

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #2,994 of 3,374
Trolling again... You know that connector impedance has a minimal influence on the reflections, but the effect you want to achieve is confuse new users.

@xkamran, ignore.
Again talking about things you know nothing about?

Impedance matching for square wave is critical.
He is using the R26 which according to you had a broken clock anyway.

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #2,995 of 3,374
perfectly fine to use 75ohm cables for 50ohm to 50ohm connections.
50ohm output ---> 75ohm cable ---> 50ohm input No problem at all, clock characteristics are preserved.
This has been confirmed using a measuring instrument and has no effect on the characteristics of the clock signal.

This is a characteristic because the output format of our clock products is sinusoidal.
If you use other clock products, be aware that if it's a square wave, you'll need to match the impedance exactly
  • For standard sine wave signals with our products, the cable length has a negligible impact on signal degradation. Prioritize device placement and select a suitable cable length.
  • However, with square wave signals, cable capacitance can degrade the signal. Hence, opting for the shortest cable length tailored to your usage scenario is advised.
  • For our products' standard sine wave signals, this cable's performance remains undiminished when connected to 50Ω equipment.
  • Still, when square wave signals operate in 50Ω equipment-to-equipment connections, reflections might amplify. In such instances, consider other cable options.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #2,996 of 3,374
50ohm output ---> 75ohm cable ---> 50ohm input No problem at all, clock characteristics are preserved.
This has been confirmed using a measuring instrument and has no effect on the characteristics of the clock signal.

This is a characteristic because the output format of our clock products is sinusoidal.
If you use other clock products, be aware that if it's a square wave, you'll need to match the impedance exactly
  • For standard sine wave signals with our products, the cable length has a negligible impact on signal degradation. Prioritize device placement and select a suitable cable length.
  • However, with square wave signals, cable capacitance can degrade the signal. Hence, opting for the shortest cable length tailored to your usage scenario is advised.
  • For our products' standard sine wave signals, this cable's performance remains undiminished when connected to 50Ω equipment.
  • Still, when square wave signals operate in 50Ω equipment-to-equipment connections, reflections might amplify. In such instances, consider other cable options.
Yet with the LHY you never have 50ohm connections
They confirmed 75ohm connectors 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #2,997 of 3,374
Again talking about things you know nothing about?

Impedance matching for square wave is critical.
He is using the R26 which according to you had a broken clock anyway.
As a professional, I know. And you can't read. I wrote that connector impedance has a minimal influence on reflections. It is important to match termination of the both sides (1st priority), then cable characteristic impedance (2nd priority). In fact matching cable impedance is very difficult, tolerance can be 20%. Can you see tolerance in specs? :)

A real impedance of the connector is not 50 or 75 Ohms, but not less than thousands of Mega Ohms. When we are talking about characteristic impedance (like in this case), influence on the reflections is proportional to the lenght. So compare two centimeters lenght of the connector to the hundred centimeters of the cable, simple arithmetic. Can you do this math?.
.LOL.

I hope you can, but you are trolling, period.

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #2,998 of 3,374

• Still, when square wave signals operate in 50Ω equipment-to-equipment connections, reflections might amplify. In such instances, consider other cable options
  • if it is sinusoidal, cable length is no problem
    10mhz clock with 75ohm bnc is no problem
    problem is square wave signal match 50ohm to 50ohm impedance exactly
    there is also a cable length influence square wave
    as short as possible

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,999 of 3,374

• Still, when square wave signals operate in 50Ω equipment-to-equipment connections, reflections might amplify. In such instances, consider other cable options
  • if it is sinusoidal, cable length is no problem
    10mhz clock with 75ohm bnc is no problem
    problem is square wave signal match 50ohm to 50ohm impedance exactly
    there is also a cable length influence square wave
    as short as possible
This reads like an email response from Cybershaft, am I correct?

Very similar statements to those made on their silver clock cable product webpage here. https://cybershaft.shop/ms/products/75ohm-pure-silver-bnc-cable

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #3,000 of 3,374
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back