Master Clock Talk
Oct 4, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #2,656 of 3,375
actually I am a scientific being and I am acceptable to all kinds of ideas, because playing with CAS is already playing with a lot of weird ideas which theoretically should not affect sound but actually does, e.g. network cables, power supply of the streaming computer, etc.

I cannot accept the idea that it is all harmonic distortion because on my system with a clock I can hear in a good choir recording there are 4 to 5 layers of singers back to front, whereas without a clock I only hear one single layer. How can the distortion improve resolution? not possible right? from the cover photo of the CD, I can see there are really 4 to 5 rows of singers, so it is not my imagination.
I agree, I also have added a Clock

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #2,657 of 3,375
actually I am a scientific being and I am acceptable to all kinds of ideas, because playing with CAS is already playing with a lot of weird ideas which theoretically should not affect sound but actually does, e.g. network cables, power supply of the streaming computer, etc.

I cannot accept the idea that it is all harmonic distortion because on my system with a clock I can hear in a good choir recording there are 4 to 5 layers of singers back to front, whereas without a clock I only hear one single layer. How can the distortion improve resolution? not possible right? from the cover photo of the CD, I can see there are really 4 to 5 rows of singers, so it is not my imagination.
Actually very possible. But not resolution. Clarity and depth is one of the main outcomes.
“IGNITE introduces odd-order harmonics which are known for enhancing the grit, and adding a rough edge to audio. This can be compared to the sound of analog tape saturation, which more often than not introduces odd-order harmonics giving the sound added depth and richness.
Listeners are drawn to these complex and interesting timbres as opposed to simple and basic sounds. It adds excitement and clarity to audio giving them more sonic information to digest.”

https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/learn/experts-guide-to-using-harmonic-distortion-in-music

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #2,658 of 3,375
I would guess most seen ,say the R26 thread, that someone added a clock and loved the sound it brought , so other R26 owners thought,hmm and also added a clock and found the same outcome.
Of course, that’s the way human perception works. There will always be some/many who perceive “the same outcome” (unless such biases are eliminated when testing).
Think you just have to live with that.
I personally do, in fact my job almost entirely relies on the human perception of sound being significantly different from sonic reality. If people want to “love the sound it bought”, even if the sound is actually identical (or worse) that’s entirely up to them and I do live with that, no problem. But this thread is called “Master Clock Talk”, so shouldn’t we be allowed to talk about master clocks rather than only “what people love”?
actually I am a scientific being and I am acceptable to all kinds of ideas, because playing with CAS is already playing with a lot of weird ideas which theoretically should not affect sound but actually does …
That’s a contradiction! If you were “a scientific being” then you would require reliable evidence that the sound is actually affected.
I cannot accept the idea that it is all harmonic distortion because on my system with a clock I can hear in a good choir recording there are 4 to 5 layers of singers back to front, whereas without a clock I only hear one single layer.
Then you’re the opposite of “a scientific being” because if that’s what the reliable evidence proves and there’s no reliable evidence to the contrary then you have to accept (or at the very least seriously entertain) “the idea”.
How can the distortion improve resolution? not possible right?
It doesn’t improve resolution. Have you actually reliably tested the resolution or are you just assuming based on your perception and preference? As you’re “a scientific being” then it must be the former!
… from the cover photo of the CD, I can see there are really 4 to 5 rows of singers, so it is not my imagination.
Actually, your assertion indicates the opposite!

G

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #2,659 of 3,375
on my system with a clock I can hear in a good choir recording there are 4 to 5 layers of singers back to front, whereas without a clock I only hear one single layer.
It is amazing!
Could you tell me with which headphones and equipment such metamorphoses occur?

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #2,660 of 3,375
I recently added a better clock cable, a Tubulus Concentus 50 ohm, (no change to the AfterDark clock) and two tungsten cubes to the K-2 synthesiser modules in my Gustard U18 DDC & X26 Pro DAC. The increase in resolution of fine detail, layering of the soundstage and the sheer slam of dynamics have been deeply impressive. It represents a serious upgrade to my system just on the clock side of things.

The suggestion that this is harmonic distortion is laughable and I'm not even entertaining the idea.

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #2,662 of 3,375
I recently added a better clock cable, a Tubulus Concentus 50 ohm, (no change to the AfterDark clock) and two tungsten cubes to the K-2 synthesiser modules in my Gustard U18 DDC & X26 Pro DAC. The increase in resolution of fine detail, layering of the soundstage and the sheer slam of dynamics have been deeply impressive. It represents a serious upgrade to my system just on the clock side of things.

The suggestion that this is harmonic distortion is laughable and I'm not even entertaining the idea.
same user of U18 and X26 Pro, I just use LHY OCK2 instead of AfterDark. Honestly, a clock together with U18 and X26 Pro somehow produces a synergy that is well beyond the price tag of these equipment. I have compared it with R26, the R26 cannot match X26 Pro in the bass department, and with a matching clock, the R2R cannot even beat X26 Pro in the mids and airy treble. With X26 Pro alone, it will lose out to R26..... however with U18+X26 Pro+Clock, the synergy works. I played with a lot of equipment, even the more expensive Weiss 204 DAC may not beat this combo.

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #2,663 of 3,375
As far as the clock goes, It’s not a suggestion. It’s actual measured science.
“Harmonic spurri” as described by the clock expert @Jake2 has mentioned.

Your other mods and cable selection are most likely effecting jitter which produces different intermodulation and “harmonic spurri” artifacts.
Coloration that wasn’t intended by the artist for sure.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #2,665 of 3,375
Hi @Jake2 ,
Where did you buy the tungsten cubes? Could you share the related link to buy?
Thank you.
Here ya go.. my advice is get a few different sizes in addition to the the 2cm eg. the 1.5cm and 1cm cubes. The 1.5cm cube worked on my R26 R2R ladder FPGA while the 2cm cube didn’t there but kills it on the OCXO of the SW-8, OCK-1 and to a lesser extent the OCK-2. Of the three the 2cm cube only fits in the OCK-1 with the lid on, hence the 1cm cube recommendation. I got 4 of ‘em and a few 0.5cm cubes en route too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004622848639.html

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #2,666 of 3,375
Here ya go.. my advice is get a few different sizes in addition to the the 2cm eg. the 1.5cm and 1cm cubes. The 1.5cm cube worked on my R26 R2R ladder FPGA while the 2cm cube didn’t there but kills it on the OCXO of the SW-8, OCK-1 and to a lesser extent the OCK-2. Of the three the 2cm cube only fits in the OCK-1 with the lid on, hence the 1cm cube recommendation. I got 4 of ‘em and a few 0.5cm cubes en route too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004622848639.html
Can you double check the link? I can't direct to the seller via your link. Thanks.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #2,668 of 3,375
Oct 5, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #2,669 of 3,375
same user of U18 and X26 Pro, I just use LHY OCK2 instead of AfterDark. Honestly, a clock together with U18 and X26 Pro somehow produces a synergy that is well beyond the price tag of these equipment. I have compared it with R26, the R26 cannot match X26 Pro in the bass department, and with a matching clock, the R2R cannot even beat X26 Pro in the mids and airy treble. With X26 Pro alone, it will lose out to R26..... however with U18+X26 Pro+Clock, the synergy works. I played with a lot of equipment, even the more expensive Weiss 204 DAC may not beat this combo.
I totally agree, I think the Clock + U18 + X26 Pro is an incredibly symbiotic combo that creates a musical performance way above its price tag. The R26 is no slouch, but it does not have the dynamic impact nor the bass, as you have observed. I think it matches the soundstage, which is supposed to be the R26's strength, but is probably even more focussed. This is why my response to those who asked "will I be 'upgrading' to the R26" is one of puzzlement. No, I will not!

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #2,670 of 3,375
Can you double check the link? I can't direct to the seller via your link. Thanks.
The link is accurate but headfi consistently mangles AliX links, left click select and copy the displayed text of the link, as just right click coping the link doesn't work for me as it pulls through all Headfi's redirect garbage...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back