Master Clock Talk
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,551 of 3,375
Hi guys,
I have promised You to come back and say somethings about the LHY switches I know of. So here we go. I have a crazy revealing rig and something I usually have is depth, width and depth in the presentation of the sound. The SW-6 with all its theoretical benefits it is a pretty "boring". Don't read me wrong here. The SW-8 with an internal OCXO only, this is a very nice treat. Some will take it as "too much" but I think most of You (completely lost nerds as I am, will find this SW-8 a "near heart product". This crazy switch is making me sitting with tears in my eyes almost all of the time. Feeling what we all should feel during a brilliant performance of any kind.

After some time and with some critical listening I can say that the SW-8 (older version) and the later one SW-6 fed by a HQ masterclock..... The Sw-8 is a more lively thing bringing tears to my eyes.
The Sw-6 is not that funny. It is more exact but ...hey how funny is this,...? Thoughts...
/Jan
Thank you very much for this impression. I would like to hear an impression more after 3months of burnin. I believe the LHY OCK-2 was right after 5months. If clocks keeps improving from 600hours and on, the SW6 might settle to the better.

But again taste can not be discussed and measured, I might love it and hate the SW8.

How did you set it up?
-Isolated port as source?
-SFP or ethernet?
-did you try everything on the dirty site and let the isolated port unused?

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #2,552 of 3,375
Hi guys,
I have promised You to come back and say somethings about the LHY switches I know of. So here we go. I have a crazy revealing rig and something I usually have is depth, width and depth in the presentation of the sound. The SW-6 with all its theoretical benefits it is a pretty "boring". Don't read me wrong here. The SW-8 with an internal OCXO only, this is a very nice treat. Some will take it as "too much" but I think most of You (completely lost nerds as I am, will find this SW-8 a "near heart product". This crazy switch is making me sitting with tears in my eyes almost all of the time. Feeling what we all should feel during a brilliant performance of any kind.

After some time and with some critical listening I can say that the SW-8 (older version) and the later one SW-6 fed by a HQ masterclock..... The Sw-8 is a more lively thing bringing tears to my eyes.
The Sw-6 is not that funny. It is more exact but ...hey how funny is this,...? Thoughts...
/Jan
Thanks @JaMo for your considered impressions of the two switches. As a matter of interest have you tried cascading the switches / running them in series in the way Srajan landed on in his review?

I have the SW-8 which I really like. I do not have the SW-6 to compare, however I find, after some experimentation with other ethernet filtration/regeneration devices that my system sounds best with the SW-8 directly feeding my R26 streaming DAC, but also benefits progressively from each of the upstream ethernet measures in my sig.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #2,553 of 3,375
I was looking at the SW-6 as the Bricasti M3 streaming dac has no clock input for the OCK 2 and I currently use an EtherRegen to get me there.
I could also lose the Farad LPS and cabling for the EtherRegen. As long as its not a step back I think it makes sense.

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #2,554 of 3,375
Thank you very much for this impression. I would like to hear an impression more after 3months of burnin. I believe the LHY OCK-2 was right after 5months. If clocks keeps improving from 600hours and on, the SW6 might settle to the better.

But again taste can not be discussed and measured, I might love it and hate the SW8.

How did you set it up?
-Isolated port as source?
-SFP or ethernet?
-did you try everything on the dirty site and let the isolated port unused?
I have only used the isolated RJ45 (Ethernet) port as input from the Asus router RT-AX86U configured a media bridge. So yes, Isolated port as source.
SFP port not tested yet.
I haven't tried any other way of using it yet.

I want to more have hours of burn in on it before final testing and verdicts.
/Jan

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #2,555 of 3,375
Thanks @JaMo for your considered impressions of the two switches. As a matter of interest have you tried cascading the switches / running them in series in the way Srajan landed on in his review?

I have the SW-8 which I really like. I do not have the SW-6 to compare, however I find, after some experimentation with other ethernet filtration/regeneration devices that my system sounds best with the SW-8 directly feeding my R26 streaming DAC, but also benefits progressively from each of the upstream ethernet measures in my sig.
Hi, Thanks.
I want to have more burn in hours on the SW-6 before experimenting where cascading is one of the tricks that will be tested.
In a couple of months or so, I think it is matured enough to give valid results.
/Jan

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #2,556 of 3,375
I have only used the isolated RJ45 (Ethernet) port as input from the Asus router RT-AX86U configured a media bridge. So yes, Isolated port as source.
SFP port not tested yet.
I haven't tried any other way of using it yet.

I want to more have hours of burn in on it before final testing and verdicts.
/Jan
I think you should try everything dirty on the 4 switchports including your router.

I think the one port is dedicated to: streamer/NAS/PC/DAC

Direct connection to the source.

• Isolated interface with special isolated transformer design recommended for your backbone network (such as routers, network bridges) and audio processing equipment (for HQPlayer hosts, streamers, etc.)

This is not a clear explaination and we need to read between the lines here

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #2,557 of 3,375
Alvin ( Vinshine) in his video recommends to plug the router in the isolated port when using more than one of the other 4 ‘switch ports’

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #2,558 of 3,375
Alvin ( Vinshine) in his video recommends to plug the router in the isolated port when using more than one of the other 4 ‘switch ports’
You are very right. I have a bunch of networkplayers that are using ports 1-4, So a noise contamination from a router inside the SW-6 should be a bad idea. I like to have the noise "outside".

We all have different rigs, as a fact. There is no "general cure". So, what's dead for me is probably working fine for some others.

This is a never ending story... and so it should be

Good luck, all of You. In a few months or so I will give my final thoughts of the SW-6, SW-8 and maybe some other switches out there
/Jan

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #2,559 of 3,375
I use an iFi LAN iSilencer on each of the noise sources plugged into my SW-8, the upstream connection to the router and my (tweaked) Mac Mini Server. Each makes a satisfying improvement, less glare, more body & dynamics. I see them as analogous to - if quite possibly more sophisticated than - the basic isolation LHY included on the single clean input of the SW-6.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #2,560 of 3,375
😂
Again where have a said clocks sound bad?!?
I’m showing you why you say they sound good.
I’m saying that I don’t like coloration ( harmonic distortion) that I can’t control.
If I don’t like how a speaker is “voiced” or “colored” I can change crossover components, cabinet design, or buy a different speaker.
If I like harmonic distortion and intermodulation I could buy a $1000 clock or I could buy a $8 harmonic distortion generator and turn a dial.

When others have said “it’s not harmonic distortion” I’ve provided science and measurements to back my claim.
You all keep saying “I trust my ears!!!”
Yeah I get it
You like 2nd order harmonic distortion!
Bye Felecia.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #2,563 of 3,375
You should ideally leave it switched on with a load on the output, which can be a 50 or 75 ohm BNC load or a clock cable with a load on the end (which will burn-in the cable, too).

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #2,564 of 3,375
A good quality BNC cable is a must with the OCK 2 ( as with most I am sure) Harmonic Technologies as mentioned here are great choices.
I had 2 other budget cables and if I hadn’t purchased the HT cables I would have sold the OCK 2

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #2,565 of 3,375
A good quality BNC cable is a must with the OCK 2 ( as with most I am sure) Harmonic Technologies as mentioned here are great choices.
I had 2 other budget cables and if I hadn’t purchased the HT cables I would have sold the OCK 2
I bought the LHY cable 50 ohms at the same time of the ock 2. Have you compared the LHY cable with Harmonic Technologies? The dac is Gustard R26.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back