Massive music collection, for free (with review)
May 20, 2005 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tangent

Top Mall-Fi poster. The T in META42.
Formerly with Tangentsoft Parts Store
No, really!

The 2005 South-by-Southwest music festival happened a few months ago, and this year they're giving away a collection of ~750 high-quality MP3s for free. It's a "featured artists" kind of thing, so no doubt the idea is to get you to buy more of the music you like. ...and tempt you to pony up for the gate fees next year, I suppose.

The 2.6 GB collection is available through BitTorrent, so if you've configured your system to allow sharing, it gets going at a pretty good clip. I downloaded my copy in a few hours through my 1.5 Mbit/s connection.

EDIT: D'oh! Forgot to tell you where to get it! It's here.

I've gotten through about a third of it so far. I'm writing this review now because I downloaded it soon after it became available, so at this rate it'll be another four months if I wait until I finish listening to everything. I didn't want to put off telling you about this that long. If my opinions change, I'll post an update here.

This collection alone has justified my recent purchase of an iPod. Two reasons: One, I've had plenty of new music to listen to when I don't want to listen to anything I've got on it already. Two, the iPod's smart playlist and song rating features have made getting through this collection manageable. The smart playlist is set up to match songs that have "SXSW" in the Album field, and that are unrated. While listening, I give each song a rating, so anytime I start the playlist I only get new music. I give one star to the songs I really hate or those that I just know I'll never want to listen to again. For my second trip through the collection, I'll modify the smart playlist rule to only include the two-star songs, which are the ones I'm not sure about and which could get the "1" on a second listen. Once I've finished that, I'll delete all the one-star songs. (I'm putting it off until then because I'm curious if Sturgeons Law applies here, too: "90% of everything is crap.") This wouldn't be possible on a lesser player.

Now to the music. The selection of music pretty well matches with the distribution of music in the commercial market, except that pop of all sorts is almost completely ignored. (Thank Bob for that!) The collection is biased pretty heavily towards rock, and that runs the gamut from poppish stuff to speed metal. I haven't heard much modern country, but that pretty much falls into the "pop" category these days; there's a fair bit of bluegrass and some Western music, though. The other major categories are rap, Latin music (about half-and-half in Spanish), jazz, dance/house/electronica, and "singer/songwriter" type stuff. So far, I've also heard smatterings of reggae, novelty/comedy, J-pop, and "neo-classical". (Anyone know what else you'd call the likes of Frank Mills, or Ferrante and Ticher? "Neo-classical" is the best I can manage...)

There's something here for everybody. I think I'm on track to prove Sturgeon's Law yet again, but hopefully for the artists we don't all agree on the same 90%. If you've got the bandwidth, download this thing and start searching for your 10%. There's a lot of muck to wade through, but the gems should be payment enough for a music lover. And you can't beat the price!

May 20, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 29
Nice! Just picked up a 40gb Zen Xtra for really cheap, and this will help fill it up quite nicely.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 29
Did foobar ever have a fit when I added 747 songs!

Anyway--great music. This post is a well deserved bump for this excellent find. Does some of it suck? You bet. But some of it is flat out hopping, too.

Great opportunity to expand the ol' horizons--for free!

Just so everyone knows, this is 2 days, 1 hour, 3 minutes, and 34 seconds of music. Hah.

May 21, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by axle
Nice post! I appreciate the review. Will give it a go.

A very popular BT client for the lazy: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=324729

It's comming down now, for me.

A little off-topic, I'm just downloading the client now but there are so many. What's the difference and what makes azureus so popular?

May 22, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guust-Fi
What's the difference and what makes azureus so popular?

They all do the same basic thing: download torrents. The differences are in how much information about the download process they show, what platforms they run on, how pretty the GUI is (if any), etc. Pretty much the same things that distinguish FTP clients, etc.

May 22, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 29
The management interface is what makes azureus nice. However, I didn't like that it used java. Since I reinstalled windows a couple days ago, I switched over to bitlord for the heck of it. Management is similar to azureus and no java. Doesn't show as much information, but I THINK it actually allows you to pick which files to download from within the torrent.

May 22, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 29
I downloaded this. Some good music, and a nice way to to be exposed to lots of stuff you might not otherwise buy. But most of it is 128 kps MP3 - yuk. I'd hoped when they said high quality it would have least been 192. This was clearly put together to give you a sample of music playing at a festival - for that use it would be fine. The tagging also leaves much to be desired...
Still lots of legal music for no cost, so thanks for posting the link.

Edit: If you like live music, and have not already found archive.org, you might
want to check out http://www.archive.org/audio/etreeli...llection=etree

May 22, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 29
Tangent-

I put aside my reluctance to install/configure (Linux/NAT/port-forwarding,etc) another file-sharing app, and installed BitTorrent and Azureus. Started downloading this massive file last night and currently have a shade under 60% of this file. If there are even a few songs/artists that I like in this, it will be worth it.

Thanks for the heads-up. I think all of us benefit from hearing and expanding our musical horizons.

May 22, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Management is similar to azureus and no java. Doesn't show as much information, but I THINK it actually allows you to pick which files to download from within the torrent.

Azureus also allows you to pick and choose which files to download, as well as prioritize them. It's one of the main reasons why I like Azureus, although other clients also have similar features.

Jan 28, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
I'm curious if Sturgeons Law applies here, too: "90% of everything is crap."

So, nearly a year after the festival, and I'm finally done listening to everything once. And yes, Sturgeon's Law was a pretty good predictor: there were 713 songs, 86% of which I rated 2 stars or less. I didn't bother going back through the 2's...It was hard enough to slog through the collection the first time.

Still, that means I now have 98 free songs that I found worth listening to again. Did you all find your 98 songs?

Jan 28, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 29
Thanks tangent! Downloading now @ 63kbps. 6 more hours till lots of new free music!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back