Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #1,411 of 2,613
kind of a jerk move imo price jump of 51$. especially for the people who tried and tried and they sold out in seconds. i even know someone who literally took the day off of work to get one and he still couldnt and he was up and waiting to go. and now those people have to take the hit. imo they just know they will sell at a higher price and are going to take advantage of that fact.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #1,412 of 2,613
kind of a jerk move imo price jump of 51$. especially for the people who tried and tried and they sold out in seconds. i even know someone who literally took the day off of work to get one and he still couldnt and he was up and waiting to go. and now those people have to take the hit. imo they just know they will sell at a higher price and are going to take advantage of that fact.

Yeah it sucks that there was a sudden price hike. I know that for the 6XX, there was a significant backlash that got Massdrop to bring down the price again, but I don’t see it happening with the THX. (Not with 15000+ requests for it and likely limited availability)

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,418 of 2,613
A lot of hearsay about that amp. I wonder where you heard the negative stuff. Oh, ASR. Go look around for other complaints.

ASR describes the interface problems. Stupid design decisions. I can wait. I don't like the way the monoprice unit looks vs the massdrop unit anyway.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,422 of 2,613
Interesting times - got the notification email, happily clicked through to get in and was greeted with the 400$ price tag vs 350$. As much as I'd like to give Massdrop the benefit of the doubt, that's a 12.75% price hike.
Taking a quick look at the product description, I don't see any added functionality that justifies the hike. I may be missing something, thought I'd come check here - if not, it would seem that the excellent reviews and the used market pricing along with limited availability has pushed massdrop to raise the price by such a margin.
This maybe too big of an increase - they should have at least repackaged the product to make it easier to swallow.

If it's really that they completely underpriced the 789 to get hype out, then I hope the 400$ price works for them in the long run. Guess I'll be sitting this one out.
Hope everyone willing to spend 400$ gets in, still a better price than the crazy prices on the used market :).

Cheers,

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,424 of 2,613
As someone who had both the Jotunheim and 789 I'd strongly recommend the 789. Measurements aside the soundstage was absolutely huge on 789 where Jotunheim was much closer with an upper mid forward presentation. YMMV, blah blah.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back