Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #451 of 1,442
Has anyone used the MCTH with the Beyerdynamic T1 or Audeze LCD-X, or indeed with any Beyer or Audeze headphones? Most of the reviews that I've seen talk about how good it sounds with Sennheisers. I have HD-600s, so it's good to know that the MCTH will work well with them, but I'd like to know if it will also work well with my other headphones.

Thanks.

I've been listening to my LCD-X's on the MCTH this morning. The LCD-X is made more intimate with this pairing. With some songs I really enjoyed that. The detail was nice, bass extension was ridiculously good. But I think the soundstage is negatively impacted, not that they have that wide of one to begin with. For me the LCD-X's lose a bit of what makes them so great when paired with the CTH. Others may disagree. However, I think they will be awesome with the MD LCX (at least I hope so).

Of my personal stash of cans, I most prefer the Focal Elear and Senn HD6xx. The HD600s are also very nice, but I prefer them on my Bottlehead Crack. I tend to favor a bit more bass and overall warmth. But I will agree the HD600s are very much worth a listening session on the CTH. Especially with older recordings, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, etc.

Now on to the Beyer T1s. Since purchasing the HD6xx and Elears, my T1s have not been getting much air time. After listening to them back to back, it seens like some of the music is gone. But this is the case no matter what amp I'm using them with. Putting them on with the CTH, I expected them to be shrill. Instead I found them to produce very detailed highs. Bass extension was also nice. The overall presentation was pleasing. Then I put the Senn's back on and everything got better. The problem is, the CTH doesn't fix what I'm finding lacking in the T1. In fact, the capabilities of the CTH make the deficiency greater. Given I've fallen out of love with my Beyer's, I may not be the best person to ask about this pairing. But wanted to share my thoughts since I had access to both cans you referenced.

For me the ultimate pairing with the MCTH so far has been with the Focal Clear. I borrowed a friend's pair and the experience ruined me. :wink: Its taken more than a few listening sessions with my Elears and HD6xx's to forget what I'm missing. As soon as Clears come down in price, that will be my next purchase.

Music used this AM:
Chantaje - Shakira (feat Maluma)
Real Love - Lo Moon
Mountain O' Things - Tracy Chapman
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac
Hell to the Liars - London Grammar
Everyone Else - London Grammar
5 A.M. - David Gilmour
Gold - Chet Faker
Song of Sorrow - Elle King
Take Care of Business - Nina Simone
Desperado - Eagles
Hotel California - Eagles
Chain Lightning - Rush
Time Stands Still - Rush
I'm Coming out - Diana Ross
Somebody Else - The 1975
Alaska - Maggie Rogers
Casimir Pulaski Day - Sufjan Stevens
Buster Voodoo - Rodrigo y Gabriella
Muy Tranquilo - Gramatik
All songs were 320kb, Lossless, or HD

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #452 of 1,442
I've been listening to my LCD-X's on the MCTH this morning. The LCD-X is made more intimate with this pairing. With some songs I really enjoyed that. The detail was nice, bass extension was ridiculously good. But I think the soundstage is negatively impacted, not that they have that wide of one to begin with. For me the LCD-X's lose a bit of what makes them so great when paired with the CTH. Others may disagree. However, I think they will be awesome with the MD LCX (at least I hope so).

Of my personal stash of cans, I most prefer the Focal Elear and Senn HD6xx. The HD600s are also very nice, but I prefer them on my Bottlehead Crack. I tend to favor a bit more bass and overall warmth. But I will agree the HD600s are very much worth a listening session on the CTH. Especially with older recordings, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, etc.

Now on to the Beyer T1s. Since purchasing the HD6xx and Elears, my T1s have not been getting much air time. After listening to them back to back, it seens like some of the music is gone. But this is the case no matter what amp I'm using them with. Putting them on with the CTH, I expected them to be shrill. Instead I found them to produce very detailed highs. Bass extension was also nice. The overall presentation was pleasing. Then I put the Senn's back on and everything got better. The problem is, the CTH doesn't fix what I'm finding lacking in the T1. In fact, the capabilities of the CTH make the deficiency greater. Given I've fallen out of love with my Beyer's, I may not be the best person to ask about this pairing. But wanted to share my thoughts since I had access to both cans you referenced.

For me the ultimate pairing with the MCTH so far has been with the Focal Clear. I borrowed a friend's pair and the experience ruined me. :wink: Its taken more than a few listening sessions with my Elears and HD6xx's to forget what I'm missing. As soon as Clears come down in price, that will be my next purchase.

That's very helpful. Thank you very much.

I had considered the Focal Clear and Elear, but I got a good deal on the LCD-X and bought them instead. I may decide to sell them and buy the Massdrop Elex, though.

Mar 18, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #453 of 1,442
That's very helpful. Thank you very much.

I had considered the Focal Clear and Elear, but I got a good deal on the LCD-X and bought them instead. I may decide to sell them and buy the Massdrop Elex, though.

For the price, the Elex are very compelling. I think that you'd be very happy with them.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #454 of 1,442
Has anyone stacked a Schiit Modi 2 with this? Any thoughts on sound? Geometrically speaking, will the Modi 2 fit on top of them CTH given the tube?

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #455 of 1,442
Has anyone stacked a Schiit Modi 2 with this? Any thoughts on sound? Geometrically speaking, will the Modi 2 fit on top of them CTH given the tube?

I can’t answer your first questions since I have it paired with a Mimby. I can answer your second question and there’s plenty of space for a Modi 2.

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #456 of 1,442
I can’t answer your first questions since I have it paired with a Mimby. I can answer your second question and there’s plenty of space for a Modi 2.

How do you feel about Mimby -> MCTH -> HD650? The Mimby costs 3x as much as the SDAC I was using, so I would presume it to be at least technically superior.

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #457 of 1,442
How do you feel about Mimby -> MCTH -> HD650? The Mimby costs 3x as much as the SDAC I was using, so I would presume it to be at least technically superior.

I’ve used the Oppo HA-2 DAC portion, the Mass Drop Grace m9XX DAC, and the Schiit Fulla 2 DAC. I prefer the Mimby out of all of them since it has more instrument separation compared to the others through USB. It’s not a big leap and everything being equal all of those DACs will work perfectly fine. But if you throw in a Schiit Eitr with a BNC connection to the Mimby it *really* punches above its weight class.

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #458 of 1,442
I've been looking to go balanced & for a lot of amps there seems to be compromises. The Jotunheim's DAC is pretty polarizing. The CMA400i is very nice but also on the expensive side. This amp's price seems like a fantastic deal...but I've read that it's not "truly balanced" several times & I'm trying to figure out what that means. Does the balanced port only serve as a secondary connection, not providing more power like it does on the Jot & 400i? Or is it not truly balanced because you'd need a balanced dac to go with it? Are both questions true?

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #459 of 1,442
I've been looking to go balanced & for a lot of amps there seems to be compromises. The Jotunheim's DAC is pretty polarizing. The CMA400i is very nice but also on the expensive side. This amp's price seems like a fantastic deal...but I've read that it's not "truly balanced" several times & I'm trying to figure out what that means. Does the balanced port only serve as a secondary connection, not providing more power like it does on the Jot & 400i? Or is it not truly balanced because you'd need a balanced dac to go with it? Are both questions true?

The CTH is not balanced at all. The XLR point is only for convenience for those who happen to have headphones terminated in XLR. It's the same as having an XLR to 1/4 or 3.5mm adapter on the end of your headphone cable.

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #460 of 1,442
The CTH is not balanced at all. The XLR point is only for convenience for those who happen to have headphones terminated in XLR. It's the same as having an XLR to 1/4 or 3.5mm adapter on the end of your headphone cable.
Ah, thanks. I thought since the solid state variant of this amp was balanced this would be too, but I didn't notice that it's not labeled as such so bad assumption there. I guess the search will continue...

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #461 of 1,442
Ah, thanks. I thought since the solid state variant of this amp was balanced this would be too, but I didn't notice that it's not labeled as such so bad assumption there. I guess the search will continue...

The Liquid Carbon is a balanced amp, but I think that the Liquid Carbon is a whole different design from the CTH; I don't think they're intended to be versions of each other.

I'm sure the Liquid Carbon will drop again, or Massdrop is currently running a drop for their THX AAA amp, which is balanced. Other semi-affordable solid state balanced options include the Topping DX7, some Audio GD options, Fostex HPA4BL (although it's a little low-powered), Aune S7

If you specifically want a balanced tube amp, you could look at the Xduoo TA-20 (not the TA-10, which Massdrop incorrectly labels as balanced!) or the Little Dot Mark III SE.

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #462 of 1,442
Welp, as soon as I saw this dropped as a daily with immediate shipping, I couldn't help myself. Ugh. My wallet is going to hate me. Looking forward to comparing it with my Vali 2!

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #463 of 1,442
Welp, as soon as I saw this dropped as a daily with immediate shipping, I couldn't help myself. Ugh. My wallet is going to hate me. Looking forward to comparing it with my Vali 2!

I only briefly listened to a Vali 2 once at a meet, but I suspect you'll be listing it for sale soon after your CTH arrives.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #464 of 1,442
I only briefly listened to a Vali 2 once at a meet, but I suspect you'll be listing it for sale soon after your CTH arrives.

Haha, well, I have to admit, I was thinking the same thing! Can't wait for it to get here! :ksc75smile:

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #465 of 1,442
The Liquid Carbon and this are different products. This is based on one of Cavalli's early DIY designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back