Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Aug 1, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #107 of 520
popcorn.gif

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #108 of 520
I'm not particularly interested in a basshead headphone but bass quality is imperative to me. Your teak advert sounds great...I'm buying in to that hype. but is the bass, if not as pronounced equal or better quality to the x00s?

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #109 of 520

Yeah, I've read that the Ebony is more balanced and less of a basshead can, but I was referring to the Purpleheart, which has been advertised by MD and others as having the most bass of the 3.

The PH I have has almost overwhelming bass, easily the most quantity of the cans I own. Are we saying the mahogany is more?

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #110 of 520
The PH I have has almost overwhelming bass, easily the most quantity of the cans I own. Are we saying the mahogany is more?

Na I think most people agree that the pH has the most bass, although some believe it's the opposite like the head-fier that started this thread. I guess it can be a matter of opinion, or maybe there's a lot of variation in these headphones. I can't say for certain since I only have the pH with no other th-x00 reference.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #111 of 520
Na I think most people agree that the pH has the most bass, although some believe it's the opposite like the head-fier that started this thread. I guess it can be a matter of opinion, or maybe there's a lot of variation in these headphones. I can't say for certain since I only have the pH with no other th-x00 reference.

Yep, for every consensus there's someone who will passionately claim the opposite. Especially if graphs are involved.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #113 of 520
  Given the 'nature' of wood cups, I think we can expect variation among individual pairs from natural causes, which would explain why my Mahogany had the most bass of the three X-00 versions I tried

I must have the PH equivalent of the Mahogany you heard, because if there was any more bass I'd fall over.

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #115 of 520
  And I'm guessing neither of the last couple of posters have compared theirs to the TH-900, which is in top 3 of bassiest headphones ever?

No, I haven't. I guess I'd fall over.

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #116 of 520
Wow, I came across this thread too late :).

I'd just like to remark that I have never ever done a TH900 mod to anyone, except to my own pair. I have worked on the mods with @playitloud, and we use slightly different fine-tuning. Many people have done the TH900 mods, but the variance in the sound (due to the materials and dimensions) is so high that it renders absolute comparisons totally useless. OK, it's good to know, but it's controversial and lacks comparable context.

I was pleasantly surprised by the good measurements of the ebony X00 on the other site. But that doesn't necessarily guarantee better sound (though a good start), just "less flawed [in certain aspects]". Whether your preferences lie in sync with that, is a complex question. In my limited experience with the X00 variants is that they are a bit over-damped and sound less good than even the stock TH900 (to my preferences). But they do measure better!

Now that there are very positive subjective opinions on this one, I am very interested to get one and compare/measure with my modded TH900 :).
Anyone who wants to sell (or rent) a pair, especially in the EU, please PM me :).

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #117 of 520
  Now that there are very positive subjective opinions on this one, I am very interested to get one and compare/measure with my modded TH900 :).
Anyone who wants to sell (or rent) a pair, especially in the EU, please PM me :).

I think the Ebony were delayed for everyone into December (don't have the mail here right now so I don't remember the exact date).

But if they don't hold up to the TH900 (or the Ultrasone Pro 900 I currently use) I'll be selling mine instantly and I'm in the EU.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #118 of 520

I think the Ebony were delayed for everyone into December (don't have the mail here right now so I don't remember the exact date).

But if they don't hold up to the TH900 (or the Ultrasone Pro 900 I currently use) I'll be selling mine instantly and I'm in the EU.

Good! Sounds like I have good chance :wink:

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #119 of 520
I love the EB model. The PHs were too V-shaped for my ears. I've never heard the originals, so I can't say how I'd react to their sound but the EBs are top for me. They perform beautifully with everything I throw at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back