Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jul 21, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #31 of 520

The FR graphs are on the ebony's drop page.

I wonder if Massdrop is worried about the lack of sales thus far.

Sorry I was very unclear there, what I mean is taking the cups off of say a Mahogany and Purpleheart/Ebony TH-X00, switching them around, then confirming that the sound signature hasn't changed after the cups are mounted on a new set of drivers etc.  Basically just confirming that the only difference between these cans are the wooden cups and that the drivers are tuned the same.    

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #32 of 520

Sorry I was very unclear there, what I mean is taking the cups off of say a Mahogany and Purpleheart/Ebony TH-X00, switching them around, then confirming that the sound signature hasn't changed after the cups are mounted on a new set of drivers etc.  Basically just confirming that the only difference between these cans are the wooden cups and that the drivers are tuned the same.    

Oh, gotcha. I was under the impression that this was indeed the difference.

I totally believe it - look at the size of the (solid wood) cups in reference to the size driver.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #34 of 520
  It is interesting that Ebony and Mahogany sound that different while their FR graph is so close...

You think so? The way I look at it, the ebony stays relatively flat in spots the mahogany takes dips.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #35 of 520

You think so? The way I look at it, the ebony stays relatively flat in spots the mahogany takes dips.

Ha, Forget it, I'm just a newbie on reading FR graphs. 
etysmile.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #36 of 520
  So last weekend at the SF Wikia Head-Fi meet I was graced with the lucky chance to try out a prototype for the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony headphones thanks to the generous staff at Massdrop in attendance... not only generous but especially brilliant because it takes a certain greatness to design closed headphones that sound this lovely. 

My impressions:
Superb neutrality, well extended, organic timbre / tonality, deliciously velvety lushness, exceptional clarity, hard hitting dynamics and bass with enough definition to put your ears in submission!

This was meant to be a comparison between three of the newest prototypes from Massdrop, all variations of the TH-X00; as far as the other two I'll leave this to @CEE TEE if he's able to disclose those. But man I'll tell you, the Ebony variant was by far and wide better than the other two, which were too unrefined in comparison and bright. If fact, this was the best current production closed headphone I have ever tried: that is, better than the Zolkis modded TH-900, Beyerdynamic DT 770 / 1770, Denon AH D-7000, Tru-Fi modded SoundMAGIC HP-100 that I helped design (link in my signature), and especially is leaps & bounds better than then TH-X00 original, which I found far too dark & lacking detail for my tastes.

The source I was using was an Elise amp with custom tube configuration and Bifrost 4490 DAC via Wyrd with lossless audio files. I'll tell ya the Elise amp has some magic synergy with these!

Disclaimer: I only got about one minute to test these beauties, so these are only brief first time impressions and can vary depending on the person or the amp used. More thorough reviews would be welcome. And speaking of beautiful, these look sleek and cool as it gets when worn - even futuristic! I can't wait to get my hands on the Ebony!!

I was also told these will be a limited edition of about 500 1,500 units, and are still in pre-production

Massdrop product link:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-fostex-th-x00-ebony-headphones

No offensive, but you come to all these conclusions listening to them for one minute? That does not seem a reasonable amount of time at all to make conclusions like that. A single minute you listened, and you can conclude they're one of the best closed back headphones? Okay...

Leaps and bounds better than the original? Really? Even when they just call it more refined? This sounds more like a sales pitch to me especially with the link to buy them included right there.

Also, you say the other two variants were too bright in one sentence, then further on you call the original to be too dark? That also makes no sense.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #37 of 520
Trying the Ebony headphones was just something that was thrown at me for a couple minutes in the middle of an 8-hr. meet, jam packed with so many other things such as displaying my custom amp configuration, volunteering, trying / comparing basically all the former and newest flagships, trying IEMs, comparing amps, DACs, and last but not least, DAPs. I had no intention or time for any in depth analysis, nor did I even expect to be writing this thread. Hence as mentioned, this was only a brief impression. Brief meaning not thorough, and impression meaning like a 'first impression' - my first page words were meant to be taken lightly, and not any kind of an 'official review'. This thread is just in its' infancy, pending more thorough reviews.

Furthermore, I had not been following the TH-X00 developments due to not being a fan of the original. Prior to being told on on page one, I never knew there was a Mahogany or Purpleheart... I just knew of the original TH-X00, TH-X00 Ebony and two other unknown similar looking headphones I tried at the meet, which I thought were too bright, on my system, after just a few seconds with each. But now the product line seems to all fall into place: 
- Original IS Mahogany
- 2nd is Purpleheart
- 3rd is Ebony

Is the above right? If so, I misspoke in my initial post, thinking there was an original, and three new versions. And in this case, it would seem strange how the original sounded bright, seeing how the previous 3 times trying it on different systems it had sounded too dark for my tastes.

The point was that I was super impressed with the Ebony after trying all three versions, so I thought I'd set up this thread because I'm the type of person that hates to keep great things to myself! 
gs1000.gif

The first post was only initial impressions and however this was not a conclusion, on the other hand I do believe it's possible to judge a headphone within one minute. Overall I've tried around 300 headphones ranging from flagships to mid-tier to IEMs over the past 10 years (including before I was a member here). With that much experience, you tend to develop a knack to instantly spot certain characteristics within maybe 2 seconds, and other elements can take up to several minutes to evaluate.

I tried to copy / paste photos of the Ebony onto the first page but since right click, "save photo as" was not possible from the Massdrop site, I just went ahead and dropped the Massdrop link in. I am not profiting from this thread, but rather just trying to spread the word for a product I believe in. And yes I am a little excitable by nature, hence some of the enthusiastic adjectives I use. Also part of it could be down to the fantastic pairing with the Elise amp which really seems to take these headphones to another level. I do have a couple inside friends however, due to mingling at meets and from the Head-Fi meet I setup at Massdrop late last year.

Thus being said, I'm proud to announce that next week I should finally be able to do a more thorough analysis of the (three?) versions of TH-X00 while I'm given them to borrow for evaluation. I will be using my Elise tube amp, Liquid Carbon, and an M9XX if I'm able to borrow one, and should have a few days so by sometime next weekend I should be able to post more proper impressions.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #38 of 520
Conspiracy theory:

Super positive OP while the Massdrop is still in effect, more balanced impressions promised close to (or after) the Massdrop has ended.

And the Massdrop isn't going well. 1/3rd sold so far, and even negative progress some days...

Total tinfoil, but just had to throw it out there. :wink:

(Disclaimer: I'm in the drop, but boy, do I have questions!)

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #39 of 520
I think the drop is going pretty well, they've just hit the saturation point with the THX00. Most people who really wanted one already have one. Very few people are going to buy a 2nd THX00 just because they have new cups now. Massdrop doesn't need to sell all of these on the first drop to make the product a success.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #40 of 520
You have to also keep in mind, now you're talking about a $500 headphone. That's not toy money. This is an expensive headphone.

I noticed when selling gear, it's not as easy to sell the more expensive headphones. The market gets smaller as you pass certain points.

If you have $500 to blow (half a grand), there are a LOT of options out there from many manufacturers.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #41 of 520
  I noticed when selling gear, it's not as easy to sell the more expensive headphones.

I heavily disagree - a fair resale price relative to the new price will likely net you a sale, even if it's expensive. I've sold at least three sets of cans less than 48h after posting them that cost more than these.

Hopefully, this will hold true for my PH!

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #42 of 520
I guess I haven't sold many super high end. If you sell them when they're very new, it shouldn't be hard, since well, they're new.

My TH900's took awhile to sell and I had to keep lowering the price - that was my main point of reference for my statement.

I was part of the first drop of the X00's, and those sold very quickly as they were in high demand.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #43 of 520
  I guess I haven't sold too many super high end. If you sell them when they're very new, it shouldn't be hard, since well, they're new.

My TH900's took awhile to sell and I had to keep lowering the price - that was my main point of reference for my statement.

Yeah, the TH900 is hard because the general consensus is that it was very overpriced (same with TH600).  But like, for example, a HD800S you can sell for next to no loss quickly right now.  A lot depends on how good of a value the headphone is viewed to be, and if a product has "replaced" it.  The HD800s caused so many HD800 owners to sell their HD800 to "upgrade" that it just completely destroyed the market for HD800, to the point of them currently selling for ~$800 in like new condition (which is a crazy, stupendous value).

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #44 of 520
^ Exactly. Well put.

There's a flip-side to that equation though, which is that if you can wait a few years on technology - you can get some really good deals.

It's similar to the video game market. If you hadn't touched PS3, you can get a lot of those games for like 5-10 dollars a game nowadays. If you would have gotten those games four years ago, they would be so much more expensive. Same will happen with the PS4 and those games. If you can wait, it pays off.

You can get really great deals in audio if you buy products with a little age on them.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #45 of 520
  I heavily disagree - a fair resale price relative to the new price will likely net you a sale, even if it's expensive. I've sold at least three sets of cans less than 48h after posting them that cost more than these.

Hopefully, this will hold true for my PH!

Shame you're not located in EU, if you were I'd be more than glad to take the PHs off your hands! I was on holiday abroad at the time and my wallet was weeping when those dropped but they'd match my room so well, my headphone stand has purpleheart wood, my keyboard wrist rest is made of purpleheart, my keycaps are violet, my headphone cable sleeving is purple... I like purple. I also like bass, so I'm gutted I had to pass on them - hoping a second hand pair in new condition within EU comes by at some point in time. 
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: I also agree that most high end headphones, asides the ones that are overpriced to begin with, are quite easy to sell nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back