Mary Halvorson & Jessica Pavone
Dec 2, 2007 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
These girls are friends of mine, so I'm doing some promotion for them!
biggrin.gif

Guitarist Mary Halvorson and violinist Jessica Pavone have recorded a record together, and I think it's a really incredible release. It includes Ms. Halvorson on acoustic guitar, and Ms. Pavone on violin, and both perform vocals occasionally. I couldn't possibly describe the genre that this album embodies, but I'll say this: It's the best outsider-folk/avant-garde-jazz/experimental-pop album I've ever heard!

The album is a collection of short tracks; minor in tonality, and as strange and dark as folk duets get. The two have performed together multiple times with a slew of creative music ensembles, and most famously alongside the great Anthony Braxton in his various 'tets. (Halvorson can be seen in the very recent Braxton release, the Diamond Curtain Wall Trio at Victoriaville with Taylor Ho-Bynum).

I would give this album serious consideration if you enjoy any new folk bands (like Six Organs of Admittance, Jandek, The Microphones), avant-garde jazz (Anthony Braxton, John Zorn, Evan Parker, Jeremiah Cymermann), or female-led obscure pop groups (Bjork, Joanna Newsom, etc.).

Mary Halvorson & Jessica Pavone - On and Off

Sample some tracks here: MySpace.com - Mary Halvorson & Jessica Pavone - BROOKLYN, US - Experimental / Folk / Jazz - www.myspace.com/maryandjess

If anybody has already heard this new release, please share your thoughts about it...

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a site to listen to a few cuts?
Is the site highlighted in your post the only place to purchase?

The MySpace link I posted will give you a few full cuts to listen to.

You can definitely buy it anywhere - it's being distributed nationally, for sure. If your favorite record shop doesn't have it, then unquestionably the common online retailers should carry it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back