Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Apr 16, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #6,226 of 6,783
Uhuh thanks! :j

Did anyone else notice that rotating the headband forward in a position that is not self standing (the headband is at the same height of the eyebrows) improve the SQ substantially?
I need to find a way to keep them still in that position. Now the headband lies on the eyeglasses and it's almost fine.. almost.

Wow that is commitment. To even experiment enough to discover this. Not sure if I should congratulate you or suggest a support group
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #6,229 of 6,783
  Modded Mikros 90, Pipeline 4-ft. recable and my desktop rig at work . . . ahhhh!!!
The Martin Logans are STILL my favorites.

You are selling your spare 90s.  Have you lost your mind? 
popcorn.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6,230 of 6,783
You are selling your spare 90s.  Have you lost your mind? 
popcorn.gif

Well, sort of . . .
But I would rather give somebody else a chance to enjoy them.

Plus, I still have four pairs:
(1) Stock Pair #2 with Teds UPOCC silver cable
(2) Spacey/Bassy Mod with Pipeline SCC cable
(3) Bhazard's stock pair with Teds UPOCC copper cable
(4) Brand new stock pair in a sealed box for the "time capsule"
wink.gif

Bought the KingSound H-03 (for the second go-round), but this time with the M-20 tube amplifier.  Have been running the H-03 with the Woo WEE and the combo sounds pretty good so far.  Am looking into re-tubing the M-20 with Telefunkens and calling it a year . .  . 

I have a pile of stuff in the corner that I want to sell, including the Oppo PM-1(!).  Sold the AKG K812 a few weeks ago, then the Stax SR-407 w/SR-507 pads.

Am still enjoying the Mikros 90 (of course!), along with the MT220 and the KingSound electrostatics. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #6,232 of 6,783
The Cayin C5 amp powers the Mikros 90's very well - I've never enjoyed the "wearing in reversed" vice grip of my 90's more!

In fact, if anyone is looking for a portable amp that works well with iems all the way through to power hungry headphones, you should look into the C5.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #6,233 of 6,783
Wow!
You guys are tough on the pads.
If the Mikros 90 are still under warranty--if less than a year has lapsed since purchase [and you have the receipt]--then contact Scott Gribble at Martin Logan, and you will get free replacements.
Otherwise, replacments are going to cost $13 apiece with a $13 shipping fee.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #6,234 of 6,783
Wow!
You guys are tough on the pads.
If the Mikros 90 are still under warranty--if less than a year has lapsed since purchase [and you have the receipt]--then contact Scott Gribble at Martin Logan, and you will get free replacements.
Otherwise, replacments are going to $13 apiece with a $13 shipping fee.

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #6,235 of 6,783
a/b-ed the Mikros 90 and the MT220 for a while last night.
Source: Samsung BD-C5505, Amp: Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 (w/1xRCA 5692, 2xSylvania 6SN7GTA), Music: Pat Metheny Group "Letter from Home"

Wider (L-to-R) soundstage with the MT220
Deeper (Front-to-Back) and more 3-D soundstage with the Mikros 90.

The MT220 are more forward and more dark than the Mikros 90.

The MT220 are not as quick or nimble as the Mikros 90.  The Mikros 90 have a liveliness/freshness to their delivery that set them apart from the MT220.

Excellent resolution/transparency with the MT220, but ultimately lacking the tonal and micro-dynamic sophistication of the Mikros 90.  

Presentation from the MT220 more laminar: emanating from layered sheets; presentation from the Mikros 90 more rounded: emanating from point sources.

Lower mid-bass emphasis with the MT220: gives good weight/slam, but can sound artificially obtrusive and lacking in ultimate coherency and extension compared with the Mikros 90.

Excellent sense of separation and detail with the MT220: the Yamahas are the masters of rendered/fleshed-out/in-your-face detail.

Cleaner treble and purer midrange from the Mikros 90, with a better integrated, holistic and musical presentation from the Martin Logans, IMHO.

The Martin Logan Mikros 90 continue to impress me as some of the most technically adept, natural- and musical-sounding headphones I have ever heard.

But the Yamaha MT220 are no slouches, either, not by a longshot.

moment of truth:
Gun-to-my-head, choose one: Martin Logan Mikros 90 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #6,236 of 6,783
Good for the 90's! But also makes me want to try the mt220's!

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #6,237 of 6,783
yeshhhh....time to open up the innards of the yammie :p

yammie gives me an ON stage kind of experience...
( i used to be sandwiched betw the drums behind me n the trumpets infront..)

mikros puts me in the audience, so enjoy each in its own way :)

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #6,238 of 6,783

moment of truth:
Gun-to-my-head, choose one: Martin Logan Mikros 90 
biggrin.gif

confused_face.gif

Gosh...what a complete surprise.  I mean, that assessment just came out of nowhere.  I don't know what to think now. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #6,239 of 6,783
Micros is a tunnel of sound thru a foam wall from a smaller driver, overlaid by a perforated pleather...a hornlike effect...
Like a French horn, concentrated, euphonic and depthful...working thru a direct on-ear projection. V absorbing.

The yammie is more a bigger wall of sound, from a larger driver, more sonic cues captured from the outer ear...being a circumaural.

Some songs just come alive on the yammie u won't get on the Mikros...n vice versa.

----------

Listening to a gospel live performance now...
Right on stage as if singing w the lead singer....
A surround sound of choir behind...
Surreal...off the yammie on an iPad.

With the Mikros, I am seated in the audience, enjoying the performance.
Both very interesting cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back