Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
May 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #5,131 of 6,783
May 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #5,132 of 6,783
u can start a production run after the beta test 
beerchug.gif

May 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #5,133 of 6,783
Bet my Mikros can hold up to those 51s.. :p

Comfort-wise you mean? And the sound quality is maintained? If so, get those damned mods posted up NOW! :)

May 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #5,134 of 6,783
Sorry Internet slow here but I will be home soon to post lol.

Basically the theory behind the mod is two part:
First part:
If you look thru a peep hole you don't see all of what's behind, but you can see directly in front, and the light amount or ambience around.

Same theory is applied here..
The rear of the driver only "sees" a peephole of what the is atmosphere in the inner cup..

So what's is closest to "The Hole" affects it most, while the rest of the cup supplies the ambiance or reflection.

I choose to adhere the dense felt around the hole rather than far away.
This affects the signature more.
The rest of the dampening and material affects the bass excursion of the driver.

The second part:

In order to more control the sound within the larger space within the pads. .
I chose the Ultrasone methodology.
Less direct eardrum impact and better soundstage.
This makes the mids more natural and integrated with bass.

All summed up, you have better control of your modding with these methods. .
Also you have more leeway to chose pads that would normally consider too recessed in mids.

The original pads to me suk because they slip all over the place and are too tiny. .

May 6, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #5,135 of 6,783
Sorry Internet slow here but I will be home soon to post lol.

Basically the theory behind the mod is two part:
First part:
If you look thru a peep hole you don't see all of what's behind, but you can see directly in front, and the light amount or ambience around.

Same theory is applied here..
The rear of the driver only "sees" a peephole of what the is atmosphere in the inner cup..

So what's is closest to "The Hole" affects it most, while the rest of the cup supplies the ambiance or reflection.

I choose to adhere the dense felt around the hole rather than far away.
This affects the signature more.
The rest of the dampening and material affects the bass excursion of the driver.

The second part:

In order to more control the sound within the larger space within the pads. .
I chose the Ultrasone methodology.
Less direct eardrum impact and better soundstage.
This makes the mids more natural and integrated with bass.

All summed up, you have better control of your modding with these methods. .
Also you have more leeway to chose pads that would normally consider too recessed in mids.

The original pads to me suk because they slip all over the place and are too tiny. .

Wow, that all sounds pretty exciting! Makes me happy I have my spare (original) modding pair :)

For now with my stock pair, I have been continuing to pull and stretch the headband to the point where it hasn't quite broken yet (whew!) and the clamping force is now greatly reduced and they seems quite a bit more comfortable now! We will give them a good test run...

May 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #5,136 of 6,783
I've been doing the same with the headband, Wayne. Comfort is dramatically improved. Actually to the point that I consider these really quite comfortable, and coming from someone with cartilage piercings, that's certainly saying something. People skipping these because of clamp force should think twice.

I keep enjoying these phones more the longer I own them. It's probably in my head, but I could swear they're maturing like a fine wine.

May 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #5,137 of 6,783
I've been doing the same with the headband, Wayne. Comfort is dramatically improved. Actually to the point that I consider these really quite comfortable, and coming from someone with cartilage piercings, that's certainly saying something. People skipping these because of clamp force should think twice.

I keep enjoying these phones more the longer I own them. It's probably in my head, but I could swear they're maturing like a fine wine.

Thanks man. There's no doubt about the sound quality. Pretty amazing. The stretching is definitely helping, although I wonder if it's simply the pads that bug me (them not being of the donut variety). We'll keep on working on a solution though!

But while I'm complaining, I kinda wish that the headband wasn't quite so thick. Does anyone else feel this way? I'd like to use these puppies at the gym etc, but when I put them over my baseball cap, well, the headband just looks too prominent and goofy. Vain? Who me??? I seriously feel like ripping that headband padding off (and adding a bit of padding if required). Please.. anyone.. feel free to tell me that's a really bad idea!

May 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #5,138 of 6,783

Thanks man. There's no doubt about the sound quality. Pretty amazing. The stretching is definitely helping, although I wonder if it's simply the pads that bug me (them not being of the donut variety). We'll keep on working on a solution though!

But while I'm complaining, I kinda wish that the headband wasn't quite so thick. Does anyone else feel this way? I'd like to use these puppies at the gym etc, but when I put them over my baseball cap, well, the headband just looks too prominent and goofy. Vain? Who me??? I seriously feel like ripping that headband padding off (and adding a bit of padding if required). Please.. anyone.. feel free to tell me that's a really bad idea!

do it 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #5,139 of 6,783
Lol - you're a very bad man!

May 6, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #5,141 of 6,783

The band thickness doesn't bug me much. The Mikros doesn't have the gym look, though. Something like the PX100 or 200 or Koss PortaPros would be less ostentatious. Personally, I'd go with IEMs for the gym.

May 6, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5,142 of 6,783

The band thickness doesn't bug me much. The Mikros doesn't have the gym look, though. Something like the PX100 or 200 or Koss PortaPros would be less ostentatious. Personally, I'd go with IEMs for the gym.

I always use IEMs at the gym as well, but I fantasize about being able to wear headphones there for some reason. They need to isolate well though, and the ones you listed unfortunately don't. But, wearing headphones at the gym will probably never really work for me anyway, because my ears would probably get too warm with phones that isolate well. This isn't stopping me though from going on a "headphones for the gym that I really don't need" crusade lol.

p.s. if the akg k403's isolated, they would be the answer, because they look good enough, they are very light and comfortable, and they sound amazingly great (I like them better than the ones you listed), and they only cost me $20 lol:

May 6, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5,143 of 6,783
The k403's are amazing! I got them on sale as well.... I felt like I was robbing the store when I bought them. The only problem I have with them is that they leak a lot of sound

May 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5,144 of 6,783
Yeah. I see guys at the gym with Beats. Those AKGs look nice. I am too afraid of ruining my headphones. Sweat. Pulling cables. Having them fall off when I am running on the treadmill and then trip and face plant in the belt. I almost had that happen with a pair of IEMs. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to grab the rails and leap off the treadmill. Would have been a viral YouTube video. "Watch the nerdy audiophile make a fool of himself on the treadmill". LOL I put the cables in my shirt now.

For some reason, when I am doing strength training, I can't have anything in, on or around my ears.

May 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #5,145 of 6,783
The k403's are amazing! I got them on sale as well.... I felt like I was robbing the store when I bought them. The only problem I have with them is that they leak a lot of sound

Another believer - awesome! It is unreal how good they sound across the spectrum, and that's not even taking into consideration the price. But yes, their achilles heal (like the portapros or ksc75's or px100ii's etc) is that they simply don't isolate sound worth a poop. I happily use the k403's though when isolation isn't important (or is beneficial).

Yeah. I see guys at the gym with Beats. Those AKGs look nice. I am too afraid of ruining my headphones. Sweat. Pulling cables. Having them fall off when I am running on the treadmill and then trip and face plant in the belt. I almost had that happen with a pair of IEMs. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to grab the rails and leap off the treadmill. Would have been a viral YouTube video. "Watch the nerdy audiophile make a fool of himself on the treadmill". LOL I put the cables in my shirt now.

Ha ha - great visuals! Thanks!

For some reason, when I am doing strength training, I can't have anything in, on or around my ears.

I focus on "weakness training", so I'm good with crap in or around my ears lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back