Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #4,216 of 6,783
  Well, got a chance to try these out...  yeah, that is some serious clamp.  I'd like to get some real listening time in to get an idea of what their actual quality is, but I have too much of a headache as it is already to wear something like this.  Maybe once the noggin isn't floggin...  I do hope these perform well with classical.

You don't know the half of it...

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #4,217 of 6,783
Hmm, this has really good isolation, but I can't help but fidget with the headphone a little trying to find that comfortable spot where I don't feel my ears being squished.  I imagine this is something that with use will lessen, or at least is something I'll become accustomed to.  Listening to some Rachmaninoff atm, very nice sounding out of my clip+ & fiio e6...  I'm looking forward to when I buy a real dap and see how this sounds then.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #4,218 of 6,783
  Hmm, this has really good isolation, but I can't help but fidget with the headphone a little trying to find that comfortable spot where I don't feel my ears being squished.  I imagine this is something that with use will lessen, or at least is something I'll become accustomed to.  Listening to some Rachmaninoff atm, very nice sounding out of my clip+ & fiio e6...  I'm looking forward to when I buy a real dap and see how this sounds then.

Took me a while to find the sweet spot at first.  Stretched them over the box during burn in for several days and nights.  Seem to loosen them up a bit.  Have had them for about a month now...used for an hour or two every day...no issues with comfort.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4,219 of 6,783

The clamping can be reduced by:
(1) gently bending/reforming the band tubes
(2) clamping the headphones over a box/ball that is wider than your head to loosen the tension
(3) waiting and getting habituated [the bands will relax a little over time]

Wagner is nice, too!

WELCOME!

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #4,220 of 6,783
  The clamping can be reduced by:
(1) gently bending/reforming the band tubes
(2) clamping the headphones over a box/ball that is wider than your head to loosen the tension
(3) waiting and getting habituated [the bands will relax a little over time]

Wagner is nice, too!

WELCOME!

I'm just now starting to listen to classical music, growing a little tired of the lack of variety in my music, so I figured I'd broaden my horizons.  Any musical suggestions would be grand.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #4,221 of 6,783
Just want to inform that I am now a certified member of the hoarders club :)

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #4,222 of 6,783
ok what ever the splitter did affected both headphones equally as I came to the same conclusions without the splitter. So I have un-struck my comments and will let them stand. After a couple of days of burnin I will check the two tracks a second time and see what my impressions are. I will also try out the Tragically Hip as well and see if I notice the same issues anymore. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #4,224 of 6,783
I find they seal best and are most comfortable if I extend them down a bit further than some on ears. I find if I tilt them they hurt less but I have to be careful as to much starts to affect the seal. When they are seated nicely they isolate very well and even have a bit of suction seal on my left ear. It's funny but they seem to be crooked on my head when they fit snuggly, I guess my ears must be crooked.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4,225 of 6,783
  OK, A/Bing the M90 against the K545 this morning after a night of burnin. I have a small volume controllable splitter so I could volume match between the 2 headphone (done by ear so probably not perfectly volume matched but close). In this test I am using my desktop computer paired with my Little Dot DAC1 and a Bravo Ocean amp with stock tube.

Here is one of the tracks I am using for testing. This one has some seriously nice sub bass.

I then used this Patricia Barber - What a Shame song as a second track for overall listening.

The end result was the K545 winning the sub-bass end still but even with only one night of burn-in the M90 was getting close and good enough I could be pretty satisfied.

I'm glad you are liking what you hear.  Can you believe some people claimed that the Mikros is bass shy? 

Wait until they reach 200 hours...you will go: 
eek.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #4,226 of 6,783
I have to wonder about some people and how they hear stuff. There is the same complaints about the K545. For me these are both excellent HP's with quite similar signatures.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #4,227 of 6,783
MARTIN LOGAN MIKROS 90
SUPERIOR SOUND QUALITY + RIDICULOUSLY LOW PRICE = UNBELIEVABLE VALUE + PURE AUDIO BLISS

EXPECTED BY NO ONE SINCE 2012.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4,228 of 6,783
I'm letting mine burn in currently, if I remember these were what, $300 at first release and after a year they've dropped 240ish...  its a very confusing thing to see.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #4,229 of 6,783
I'm glad you are liking what you hear.  Can you believe some people claimed that the Mikros is bass shy? 

Wait until they reach 200 hours...you will go:  :eek:

Mikros only seems bass shy out of the box because it seems quite bright, but it settles down (to only a little bright :p) and bass is adequate and detailed.

The Bach cello suites helped as burn in music for that. They have to be useful for something because they're not as music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back