Mars Volta
Oct 20, 2003 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
I know there have been topics on this band before, but i don't recall having seen any in a long time. I recently acquired the album De Loused in the Comatorium and I really don't know what to think about it. On my first listen through I really didn't enjoy it...I am starting to appreciate a few of the songs, i think? I don't know. Maybe these guys just aren't my cup of tea.

Oct 20, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 10
Or maybe it'll take you a couple more listens.
wink.gif
I kinda felt this when I first bought the album. But, then a week or two later, I found myself rocking out every song.
biggrin.gif
280smile.gif

Oct 20, 2003 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 10
I love 'em. Going to try to see them later today.

Maybe they're just not your cuppa.

Oct 20, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Their record is not one of those discs where you "get it" after the first listen. It's extremely complex, challenging and layered, the music shifts around and turns on a dime, shooting off in a different direction lyrics are blurry stream-of-consciousness ("hit me baby one more time", this ain't
tongue.gif
) I'd say don't give up, records like this are great because they keep giving up more and more new stuff you missed the last time.

In the meantime, just enjoy the incredible musicianship on display. pretty impressive stuff for a "rock" group.

Oct 20, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm going to go against the crowd here. De-loused is just plain jibberish.
biggrin.gif

Really, i've never been a big fan of de-loused, i've always thought that the tremulant EP by the mars volta is a far superior work. Pick it up if you're intrested in keeping up on all of the post-ATDI projects.

Oct 21, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 10
tremulant was good, however I would argue that it is more complex and less "musical"(in the toe tapping sense) than de-loused, so if he is having trouble with it, tremulant would just be more "wrong" for him.

I would have to say that if you are in to music for the artistic expression side then mars volta is the band for you. If you are more interested in production value then maybe try another band.

Before anyone gets angry, I am not trying to say if you don't like mars volta, you don't understand music, I am just saying that their concerns are more for expressing emotions through music and less with presented a overal packaged effect. The opposite to me would be a band like the strokes, their concerns are time, catchiness and formulaic presentation.

Oct 21, 2003 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 10
I have relistened the album a couple of times now and already it has grown on me. Especially track 7, Cicatriz Esp.

Oct 21, 2003 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Extremely funny in that less than one minute after I swapped the new Strokes album Room On Fire out of my discman to listen to Deloused... and then click onto the Music forums and HERE IT IS!! MY VIRTUAL WORLD BEING PLAYED OUT TO ME ON SCREEN WHILE I LIVE IT~!..

But, I digress...

IMHO, this album has everything going for it, but often I don't reach out for it as often as I perhaps should mainly because it's not a *chill out* album. It doesn't work well just in the background. To appreciate it, you pretty much have to close the doors, shut off the mobile phone, computer and other disctractions and truely sit down and listen to the album. It's very rewarding with every spin.

Oct 21, 2003 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrick
IMHO, this album has everything going for it, but often I don't reach out for it as often as I perhaps should mainly because it's not a *chill out* album. It doesn't work well just in the background. To appreciate it, you pretty much have to close the doors, shut off the mobile phone, computer and other disctractions and truely sit down and listen to the album. It's very rewarding with every spin.

Which is pretty much why I never listen to it anymore. I mean, one night I was convinced it was the best album ever...it just got better with each listen. Late at night or studying is when I usually listen to music and it's a little too hardcore I guess...still an awesome album though. It's my fault my tastes have gotten mellower
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back