Markl modded D5000(full mod) vs edition 9
Apr 20, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #31 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by waddragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think apuresound only recables the edition 9 , right?

[size=medium]
Of course not. They will recable just about any headphone out there. You can contact Alex directly by email (alex@apuresound.com) for your specific needs.
cool.gif
[/size]

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #32 of 104
With a five year warranty on the Edition 9 I don't think that re-cabling it is in my near term picture.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #33 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a five year warranty on the Edition 9 I don't think that re-cabling it is in my near term picture.

If only for SE use I wouldn't do it too. But for balanced I recabled mine because the ground wires are just shields, which are for me totally different wires in all respects.

As for the modes, I am tweaking my Edt.9 myself without asking anybody. It's too late to worry about warranty. Even if something happened, to replace something I think I can handle it myself.
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #34 of 104
Hmm...

Sovkiller sometimes can't help himself when it comes to the E9's...
wink.gif

My 2 cents.

I've owned the D2000's, not the 5000's and certainly not Markl modified 5000's. (BTW, kudos to Markl, who's opinions I've found to be spot on, see my sig for his influence) The Denon's I found good but a bit murky when compared to the best phones. I'm sure the 5000's are better.

As for the E9s, I've found them pretty close to L3000's, K1000's, and other similar quality phones, yet with a unique presentation. Maybe even a, let's call it, eccentric presentation.

At first I thought that the S-logic was a bit of marketing hype too. But oddly enough, I've actually come to think there's something to it.

I'm not going to get into a description of the sound but more what the phones do to my perception of the music.

But first I'll digress a bit. My goal for my system is simple. I want to feel that I'm a couple of tables back from a small stage in a room (not a hall or stadium) where the band is performing live. Close enough that I can ask the performers a question about a particular song or particular phrasing choice without having to shout. Think of a smokey jazz bar. With the band setup in the corner. And the bar behind you. Regardless of the type of music.

Anyhow, many phones give wonderful detail, palpable bass, clear mids and beautiful voice presentation.

But, no phone, and precious few speaker systems recreate ambiance like the E9's. At least for me. When I'm truly 'into' the music, I forget where I am and I 'see' the performers. The effect is strong enough that I've found myself visualizing the grimace of a player when he fingers a chord imperfectly. Or maybe I'll see a slight roll of the eyes when Krall sings of a lost lover.

With the E9's, my mental picture is damn near perfect, so much so, I'm not lost in the music. I'm there.

And, frankly, I don't care how they do it. It just happens.

I do think it has something to do with the extra reverberations from the way the drivers are housed. Whether this is S-logic, I dunno and I don't care. And I can understand how the E9s can sound strange at first. It took a while for me, at first I was just listening to music on a phone that sounded a bit different than any other I'd heard. But after a few weeks, I was there, in my smokey bar, with the players in front of me. In color. With cigarette smoke curling up through slowly rotating fan blades, to collect against the pressed tin ceiling. Hell, sometimes I'd find myself looking for a waitress instead of getting up to go to the fridge for a refill.

And that, my friends, is what it's all about.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #35 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...

wink.gif

My 2 cents.

I've owned the D2000's, not the 5000's and certainly not Markl modified 5000's. (BTW, kudos to Markl, who's opinions I've found to be spot on, see my sig for his influence) The Denon's I found good but a bit murky when compared to the best phones. I'm sure the 5000's are better.

As for the E9s, I've found them pretty close to L3000's, K1000's, and other similar quality phones, yet with a unique presentation. Maybe even a, let's call it, eccentric presentation.

At first I thought that the S-logic was a bit of marketing hype too. But oddly enough, I've actually come to think there's something to it.

I'm not going to get into a description of the sound but more what the phones do to my perception of the music.

But first I'll digress a bit. My goal for my system is simple. I want to feel that I'm a couple of tables back from a small stage in a room (not a hall or stadium) where the band is performing live. Close enough that I can ask the performers a question about a particular song or particular phrasing choice without having to shout. Think of a smokey jazz bar. With the band setup in the corner. And the bar behind you. Regardless of the type of music.

Anyhow, many phones give wonderful detail, palpable bass, clear mids and beautiful voice presentation.

But, no phone, and precious few speaker systems recreate ambiance like the E9's. At least for me. When I'm truly 'into' the music, I forget where I am and I 'see' the performers. The effect is strong enough that I've found myself visualizing the grimace of a player when he fingers a chord imperfectly. Or maybe I'll see a slight roll of the eyes when Krall sings of a lost lover.

With the E9's, my mental picture is damn near perfect, so much so, I'm not lost in the music. I'm there.

I do think it has something to do with the extra reverberations from the way the drivers are housed. Whether this is S-logic, I dunno and I don't care. And I can understand how the E9s can sound strange at first. It took a while for me, at first I was just listening to music on a phone that sounded a bit different than any other I'd heard. But after a few weeks, I was there, in my smokey bar, with the players in front of me. In color. With cigarette smoke curling up through slowly rotating fan blades, to collect against the pressed tin ceiling. Hell, sometimes I'd find myself looking for a waitress instead of getting up to go to the fridge for a refill.

You could not described it better Al, the same exactly happen to me, just that with different kind of music maybe, and I like to be close to the performance as well. Those heapdhones for me are simply magic, they let me enjoy tunes and recordings that were long time dusting in my collection, as there was no way I could enjoy them given the horrible quality, well those heapdhones simply put aside the audio aspect of the recirding, and let you concentrate only on the performance itself, how the musicians are playing and where are they, and what are doing, not sure how acurate or far from reality they are, but I simply enjoy what I listen with them, and period, for me that is all about...toi put it in two words: musical headphones...
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #36 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that may explain it. The k1000's need a speaker amp to reach anywhere near their potential. I've had both and the K1000's have had the best detail of any headphone I've tried yet.

You've had the D5000s, but have you had the Markl D5000s? I thought the stock version sounded like crap, for all the reasons Markl describes. They certainly seemed slow and unresolving compared to the K1000s and SA5000s. Upon completing the mod they became something entirely different though.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #37 of 104
Quote:

Hmm...

wink.gif

My 2 cents.

Well said. If I could only keep one pair of headphones, the Edition 9 are the ones I'd have to pick.

To the other peeps, my stock Edition 9 are very close to my APureSound V3 cabled Edition 9, with the exception that the re-cable showed me that there was a slight veil over the music that was removed with the cable. It didn't change timber or tone, or sound signature so much as it opened up the phones to make them even more transparent and detailed than before.

Mine have a 10 foot 1/4" SE Neutrik plug, with a 1/8" jack/plug in the middle to make it into a shorter cable for computer or small amp. At some point, I might re-cable them again as a 10-12 foot balanced cable, and move the singled ended cable to another headphone. But I will probably leave the stock one alone as I have heard other headphones that had a much more dramatic change with a cable, and I would save the old APS cable for a future headphone that needs it more. My Grados, Denon, Sennheiser all have benefitted greatly with the APS cable.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #38 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by zanimation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comparison of the Markl D5000 against the Ed9

But I'm still waiting for a detailed comparison of the Markl D5000 against the ATH-AD2000.

No problem, send me a pair of ATH-AD2000 and I'll write that detailed comparison for you
wink.gif

I'm glad to see the thread has got calmer, but again it's become Ed9-centric. Interesting how things develope in here
wink.gif

Rgrds

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #39 of 104
does anyone try to ask Ken from ALO to do the mod for edition 9?
I read some of his comments about the mod HFI-780. He said that the mod HFI-780 sound is almost the same as stock edition 9. However, it isn't on the same level as modded edition 9.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #40 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem, send me a pair of ATH-AD2000 and I'll write that detailed comparison for you
wink.gif

I'm glad to see the thread has got calmer, but again it's become Ed9-centric. Interesting how things develope in here
wink.gif

Rgrds

You're right. Folks tend to write about what they know best. And when you get to a certain level, there's a limited number of folks. Then extend it to comparo's and it becomes more limited still.

Nonetheless, IMO it's all worthwhile and I'm thankful for those who take the time to add to our valuable knowledgebase.

Now, if we could only figure out how to do all this without torturing our wallets...

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #41 of 104
Quote:

You're right. Folks tend to write about what they know best. And when you get to a certain level, there's a limited number of folks. Then extend it to comparo's and it becomes more limited still.

Nonetheless, IMO it's all worthwhile and I'm thankful for those who take the time to add to our valuable knowledgebase.

Now, if we could only figure out how to do all this without torturing our wallets...

Yep, that's the main problem, stretching the wallet too far. Up from a certain level these things get rather expensive, so you tend to purchase the gear that for some reason interest you and you believe will have some features of your liking.
The higher the price tag, the more difficult is someone has both devices at the very same time to compare them with some rigor.

Does anyone know if any of the usual modders/rewirers can wire headphones using Purist Audio cables?

Regards.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #43 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who is Markl?

The search function is your friend.

Markl is a member here who not only is a knowledgeable contributor, but an excellent writer.

This forum is lucky enough to have quite a few folks with those talents.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #44 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said. If I could only keep one pair of headphones, the Edition 9 are the ones I'd have to pick.

To the other peeps, my stock Edition 9 are very close to my APureSound V3 cabled Edition 9, with the exception that the re-cable showed me that there was a slight veil over the music that was removed with the cable. It didn't change timber or tone, or sound signature so much as it opened up the phones to make them even more transparent and detailed than before.

Mine have a 10 foot 1/4" SE Neutrik plug, with a 1/8" jack/plug in the middle to make it into a shorter cable for computer or small amp. At some point, I might re-cable them again as a 10-12 foot balanced cable, and move the singled ended cable to another headphone. But I will probably leave the stock one alone as I have heard other headphones that had a much more dramatic change with a cable, and I would save the old APS cable for a future headphone that needs it more. My Grados, Denon, Sennheiser all have benefitted greatly with the APS cable.

[size=medium]Have (will) you compared (compare) the V3 Ed9 with other high end dynamic or electrostatic phones? I ask because I am finicky enough about detail to do these type of high end cable swaps.
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back