market shares
Jun 29, 2007 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone,

I am interested in the headphone world outside the nerd forums (just scientific interest). When I take a look around here in non-urban germany, it's mostly the cheap Senns beneath the HD595, some Philips and Sony that are visible in the consumer markets or dealers. Some occasional AKGs, that's it.

How is the situation elsewhere, especially in the US? Koss- and Sonyland?

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 21
In the UK - lots of Sony, more Sony, Panasonic / Technics, JVC, Bose. It's very rare, at least in my area, to see Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Beyer, or any other decent brand in ordinary retail stores. The Apple stores often have a wider variety, mainly Bose again though, with some Sennheisers like the PX100.

If you go to a proper hi-fi store you'll likely see Sennheisers mainly, my local store has the 595 and below, AKG and Bose.

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 21
Distribution is a big limiting issue for retail bricks and mortar stores.

Just a few years ago before the proliferation of the internet, our choices were very limited.

No more.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 21
in indonesia maybe its senn and sony, AKG and grado is newcomer, never seen beyer here

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 21
I work in drug rehab on the weekends and nearly all of the patients come in with ipods, PDCPs, etc. Most come from other states around the country and a few from England, Bermuda, and Singapore. We get a lot of musicians and musicians' kids. I always check out their headphones. Outside of the stock earbuds that come with players, almost all have Sony, Bose and some Phillips. A current patient came in with E500PTHs. I was silently impressed until I learned he was more interested in telling every one how much they cost vs actually listening to them. Around town, I've seen the same. I've never seen anyone with Senns, though the the PX200s are available in chain stores everywhere. I ran into a kid in the Altanta airport once with SR60s, who was waiting for the same flight with me, but it turns out he'd borrowed them from his roommate for the trip and didn't care one way or the other about what was on his head.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 21
As I have feared. One one side there's the "competent" enterprises such as Senn, Beyer or Grado, on the other side there's the big enterprises with huuuge marketing budget and almost no technical competence at all (Sony, Bose, Philips).

And who gets the carrot? It's the bloody distribution wenkers and advertisment strategists again. How I hate these guys sometimes...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I have feared. One one side there's the "competent" enterprises such as Senn, Beyer or Grado, on the other side there's the big enterprises with huuuge marketing budget and almost no technical competence at all (Sony, Bose, Philips).

And who gets the carrot? It's the bloody distribution wenkers and advertisment strategists again. How I hate these guys sometimes...
rolleyes.gif

In 6 posts you conclude that there are two sides in headphones..

That is not really fair, I know for a fact that Sennheiser makes some really crappy phones, Beyer also makes some crap.
Grado is almost impossible to get on the European market..(unless you want to spend bose prices on them)

Both Sony and Philips makes very nice cans IMO..

In my eyes it is a matter of price ofcourse philips and sony makes crappy phones, but they are also very cheap...

If you do not want to pay, you do not get nice stuff..

We have to realise that we are NERDS...It is almost impossible to meet someone who spends as much money on headphones as we do, most people just shakes their heads when you tell them you are walking around with 1000$ of soundgear..

And to say that companies like sony and philips do not have knowledge is a downright lie, who gave us the
CDplayer ???
Walkman ??
Cassette tapes ??
Just to name a few of their inventions..

If it was not for those inventions, where would headphones be today ??

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 21
Sony was a great enterprise, I remember that in detail. Great ideas, great innovations, great quality. But that is more than 20 years ago. The only great thing left today is public relations.

I actually don't know if Bose has ever been more than today's paper tiger...as far as I know, they started with car-audio for the young 1970s rednecks...

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony was a great enterprise, I remember that in detail. Great ideas, great innovations, great quality. But that is more than 20 years ago. The only great thing left today is public relations.

I actually don't know if Bose has ever been more than today's paper tiger...as far as I know, they started with car-audio for the young 1970s rednecks...

Yes the last 10 years they only came up with 3 different playstations, and saved Ericson...

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 21
Media Markt, Basel, Switzerland:
Sennheiser HD650 / HD600 / HD25-1
AKG K701 / K181DJ / K81DJ
Ultrasone PROline 650 / PROline 550

No A-T though
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 21
Where I live in the US I haven't seen anyone with any Senns, Grado, or AKG. Maybe just a Sony here and there, some Shures, and lots of white Ipod headphones.
600smile.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 21
In the San Francisco Bay Area, I usually see countless Sony In-Ears, Sony Street Styles, Sony MDR-V150's, Bose Triports, JVC Gumies, and of course, iBuds. On occassion, I'll see someone using Senns (usually HD212, HD202, or the new eH series), Sony EX90's, or something you can get at a Sharper Image or Apple Store. A few weeks ago I saw the first Grado I had ever seen in the wild! SR-80's on a broseph in the San Francisco Japan Center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back