Mark Levinson is a fan of GoRedwings19!!!!
Dec 1, 2004 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
It's here. After Bax Global have messed me around for nearly two weeks this morning I recieved the Mark Levinson 31 reference transport+30.5 reference DAC.
rs1smile.gif

I have posted pics in the headfi photo forum but am trying to find someone who can host them.

You will not believe how heavy it was I could hardly carry them. There was a total combined weight of 180lbs. The heaviest was the DAC. But here's something to make you laugh. The dealer forgot to ship it with manuals and more importantly the power plug for the UK and also the commuinications cable. I can't even turn on the DAC as I don't know how. So I am using the Grace 901 for decoding duties. You have never heard the Grace sound so good connected to this transport. Now to find someone to host pics for me.

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
It's here. After Bax Global have messed me around for nearly two weeks this morning I recieved the Mark Levinson 31.5 reference transport+30.5 reference DAC.
rs1smile.gif

I have posted pics in the headfi photo forum but am trying to find someone who can host them.

You will not believe how heavy it was I could hardly carry them. There was a total combined weight of 180lbs. The heaviest was the DAC. But here's something to make you laugh. The dealer forgot to ship it with manuals and more importantly the power plug for the UK and also the commuinications cable. I can't even turn on the DAC as I don't know how. So I am using the Grace 901 for decoding duties. You have never heard the Grace sound so good connected to this transport. Now to find someone to host pics for me.

I thought I was the only one that that kind of thing happened to... it can never be simple, can it?!
I've enjoyed following your CD player odessy... keep those posts a coming.

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
I thought I was the only one that that kind of thing happened to... it can never be simple, can it?!
I've enjoyed following your CD player odessy... keep those posts a coming.

I think that's it for me. I tried it in combo with the grace 901. It already sounds better than my tri-vista. I now know how to activate the dac now. The power inlet is underneath the dedicated regulated power supply. It supplys power to each seperate channel. I am now going to connect it up. I hope I don't blow anything up!!!!!!!!

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 109
Thanks tyrion.

Need to clear some space so either I can rack em or might just order some concrete slabs. Back in a sec. Gonna connect the power supply and dac up and see what happens. If you don't hear from me in 20 mins you know I have blown them up
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 109
I am happy to do it. That sh** is sweet. I hope you have a nice pair of speakers to go along with that gear. It would be a shame to only use that nice gear with headphones.

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I am happy to do it. That sh** is sweet. I hope you have a nice pair of speakers to go along with that gear. It would be a shame to only use that nice gear with headphones.

Nope don't want speakers. Use to have dynaudio 1.3 mk2 connected via red dawn. Sold all my hi fi gear to build a reference headphone system.

But get this the Grace 901 has been accused of only having a mediocre amp and dac section. Well I connected this to the mark levinson via balanced nordost valhalla interconnects. This is the best ever combo I have ever heard. Remember I have to use a step down transformer for the grace so the sound quality degrades a little bit. The Mark levinson digs up so much detail and so much bass and sounds similar to my tri-vista in kind of forgiving, warm music presentation. That surprises me. I thought it would sound more like my DCS combo.

I suppose if I wanted to build another speaker rig then I would go with wilson benesch or maybe the dynaudio confidence series with valhalla speaker cable. But at the moment I am happy with the headphone system. Also I have gone back to my rs-1's. Totally sweet. I run the hp-2's and rs-1's at the same time. I just prefer the rs-1 colouration.

But I need to spend more time with it. I have tried connecting the earmax pro anniversary via nordost spm reference rca interconnect and it isn't even close not by a long way. But the emp anniv needs to be burnt in more.

The grace has a few annoying problems you cannot fine control the volume. And there is noise when you alter the volume. But at the moment it's kicking ass for the lord.

Dec 1, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
If you need help hosting pics, videos lemme know

ok will do. I will post more tommorrow and extremely tired. Gonna take a power nap. Later dudes.

Dec 1, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #15 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Those two look like works of art.

It sounds like it too!!!!
rs1smile.gif

BTW what is the best way to connect the transport to the dac??? I use nordost silver shadow coaxial (electrical) connection but what is the generally accepted connection which will squeeze more out of it. I herad the ST optical connection is the best but I don't really know.

The bass is the best I ever heard when used with rock music tight and punchy. When Used with other types of music, deep and amazingly warm.

It truly puts hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention. Also the RS-1's get a soundstage wider than my head. I wish I could bring it to all you headfiers to experience.

And the lid is motorised......

I use to think that mark levinsons were made out of tough plastic. It's not it's metal. Sorry bout the crap pics but that's the best I can manage with my digicam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back