Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Apr 22, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #76 of 980
Roughly. Now I will say they
Thanks. If the leakage is about the same as the H95, I have the answer I need.
Roughly. Now I will say they leak a lot more if you just take them off your head and set them down vs having them on. It’s quite noticeable even vs the H95 but on the head it’s not a huge deal and definitely very slight.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #77 of 980
Is there any sound leakage?

Not really, very, very little.

What are you considering leakage? Like if I have them on my head can anyone around me hear what I am hearing? Faint but not really. I am convinced no matter what there will always be a small bit. At least the way my office is set up I have no issues with anyone to my left or right hearing my headphones. So yes, but also no. Less leakage than the Momentum 3 or Aonic 50, about even to the H95 and a bit more than the APM or Bose.

This is interesting. I remember testing the APM and h95 at the same time and the h95 is clearly better, the h95 is having very minimal sound leakage. When I testing the 5909 with the h95, the h95 is maybe (only maybe) very, very little better, they are very similar, really.

I doing my testing myself putting each headphone in one leg, above the knee (so that is similar than when putting in my head) and having the same volume.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #78 of 980
Not really, very, very little.

This is interesting. I remember testing the APM and h95 at the same time and the h95 is clearly better, the h95 is having very minimal sound leakage. When I testing the 5909 with the h95, the h95 is maybe (only maybe) very, very little better.

I doing my testing myself putting each headphone in one leg, above the knee (so that is similar than when putting in my head) and having the same volume.
To me part of that stems from the fact that the APM Just gets Louder on an Apple device than the H95 does so…maybe as a percentage the H95 is better but I really only care for absolutes lol.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #79 of 980
To me part of that stems from the fact that the APM Just gets Louder on an Apple device than the H95 does so…maybe as a percentage the H95 is better but I really only care for absolutes lol.
I understand. Yes, the APM is more loud than h95. This is why is very important for testing sound leakage that all headphones in the test having the same (or very similar) volume levels.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #80 of 980
I understand. Yes, the APM is more loud than h95. This is why is very important for testing sound leakage that all headphones in the test having the same (or very similar) volume levels.
Oh I know this. But, I don’t know, I am not fussed by leakage unless someone tells me “I can hear your music and turn it down”

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #81 of 980
I saying before in this thread that the 5909 is the best wireless headphone I hearing from probably all of almost 40 wireless (ANC) earphones and headphones. And that the 5909, too, is excellent headphone in passive mode (not wireless) comparing with other headphones or earphones that are only wired.

Here is one important reason for this: When I'm playing badly (usually 'loudness wars') mastered music (that is typical in pop and rock music from after 1990 until today), with the majority of headphones if a song is coming in my playlist (usually in random mode) I'm often skipping this songs and playing the next. With the 5909 this types of songs don't sounding great (they're originally having bad sound), no, but they're are easily more listenable and enjoyable than with majority of other headphones. I only remember this experience happening in similar way, with a wireless headphone, with the Shure Aonic 50, but definitely not with the level of enjoyment or tolerance that I have with the 5909.

The 5909 is giving little more space between the voice and instruments that is helping me not skipping many tracks and actually even enjoy.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #82 of 980
I saying before in this thread that the 5909 is the best wireless headphone I hearing from probably all of almost 40 wireless (ANC) earphones and headphones. And that the 5909, too, is excellent headphone in passive mode (not wireless) comparing with other headphones or earphones that are only wired.

Here is one important reason for this: When I'm playing badly (usually 'loudness wars') mastered music (that is typical in pop and rock music from after 1990 until today), with the majority of headphones if a song is coming in my playlist (usually in random mode) I'm often skipping this songs and playing the next. With the 5909 this types of songs don't sounding great (they're originally having bad sound), no, but they're are easily more listenable and enjoyable than with majority of other headphones. I only remember this experience happening in similar way, with a wireless headphone, with the Shure Aonic 50, but definitely not with the level of enjoyment or tolerance that I have with the 5909.

The 5909 is giving little more space between the voice and instruments that is helping me not skipping many tracks and actually even enjoy.
Lol you think the 1990’s pop and rock sounds badly mastered…wait till you hear what I listen to. I’m out here trying to eek out whatever quality I can out of recordings from the 1920’s and 1930’s up through the 1960’s by and large. The variance in quality is wiiiilllllddddd. But, the 5909’s are absolutely far and away the best wireless cans I have.

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #83 of 980
Lol you think the 1990’s pop and rock sounds badly mastered…wait till you hear what I listen to. I’m out here trying to eek out whatever quality I can out of recordings from the 1920’s and 1930’s up through the 1960’s by and large. The variance in quality is wiiiilllllddddd. But, the 5909’s are absolutely far and away the best wireless cans I have.

I will only receive the ML on Wednesday, so I cannot compare yet. I must say however that I was immensely impressed with the Hifiman Ananda Bluetooth headphones.. For me, until today these are the best Bluetooth headphones, hands down, by a considerable margin.

Of course they are open back, so for that reason alone impossible to compare with a pair of closed backs such as the ML. But I am quite curious to see whether or not the ML will end up replacing them or complementing them 😁

Apr 25, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #84 of 980
My assumption would be complementing them because open backs are their own beast. Oddly enough I actually prefer the sound stage that it closed back and gives me. I don’t know if my brain is just wired differently or what, but I enjoy the precision of sounding and feeling like I’m directly in front of all the instruments I’ve always been that way so lucky for me I like cheaper headphones apparently

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #85 of 980
The 5909 has been performing admirably in passive mode the past three days. It responds well to amplification and eq.

IMG_1044.jpg

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #86 of 980
The 5909 has been performing admirably in passive mode the past three days. It responds well to amplification and eq.

IMG_1044.jpg

Excellent photo! My pair is black but your photo of the red model is looking very nice. Are you professional photographer?

Apr 25, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #89 of 980
What is a point in passive mode if you buy bluetooth headphones? I really don't understand you....
I got nothing. If I was gonna spend 1000$ on pair and put them in passive mode wired, I’d pick up a secondhand pair of focal’s I’m sure. Now I understand some people hate the pressure of ANC so that’s a reason for it i suppose

Apr 25, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #90 of 980
It’s just a perk. I don’t want to buy another headphone, I need an ANC for work/commutes. The fact that they excel in passive mode is just a bonus, for me. And they sound so good in this mode, I don’t feel the need to purchase a separate set of phones for wired usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back