Marantz CD5000 to NAD C541i
Jun 16, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 22
blr, please don't take my comments personally, it seems as if I've touched a nerve (?).
I don't doubt the performance of the 6000ose, like I said I used to own one.
Keep in mind that the KI version is not readily available in North America, so finding one here for Gmd will be tough, even on the used market. Hence the recommendation of the Heart and AH! Tjoeb products, which will come close to the KI, and surpass the OSE units, and are readily available here.
However, in THIS PARTICULAR CASE, within the price range tht's been specified by Gmd, and the fact that he mentioned the possibility of SACD, the Philips at US$500 has performance that's beat anything it it's price range, with a bonus of on-board upsampling and SACD capability.
Just my 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:39 AM Post #17 of 22
Don't worry I don't take it personally (although I've informed my CD6000OSE about your opinion and he/she is a bit offended
wink.gif
)

I didn't know that Marantz players are difficult to find in the US, that's too bad. Also a lot of confusion comes from the fact that we often discuss products that have very different prices in Europe and the US. It looks like non-american HiFi products are very expensive and with the weak USD it's getting worse. I just realized that this is perhaps the reason why same products come recommended over and over, i.e. the others are expensive.
If one goes secondhand one solution would be to watch the sale forum here. There are Europeans often selling goods that can be a good bargain and an opportunity to pick some European HiFi for cheap.

Jun 17, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #18 of 22
no worries blr.
smily_headphones1.gif

Marantz is readily avialbale here, just the KI version never made it to this side of the world. The 4000, 5000, 6000, and all the OSE stuff did, and the new models still sell like crazy. Although I think things will cool now that they are under the same umbrella as Denon.
Marantz is distributed by Lenbrook industries in North America, and they still get most of the models to market here. I guess there will always be a few select models that remain in Europe.
Yes, with the US dollar getting worse it'll affect everything, but at the same time, it's good for us Canadian dealers who import directrly from the US. Saves us a bundle!
biggrin.gif

Good point about keeping an eye on the classifieds here at Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 22
How about the CD6000 OSE LE. The Limited Eddition of the OSE. I remember it came on the market shortly after I got the OSE. Have no idea what the difference from the non LE might be. I just saw one in a store and as you may guess externally it's exactly the same. Also I haven't followed Marantz for a while but do they have a replacement for the 6000 series. It is perhaps a time.

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #20 of 22
How about a Music Hall mmf cd 25? People here love it! Get a used one for about $325.

Jun 18, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #21 of 22
blr: Well, over here I read that the OSE LE was meant to be the Last Edition of the 6000OSE - from what i remeber it should have only a few changed capacitors compared to the regular OSE. If I meeded anything better than the 6000OSE, I'd give one of my two units to Gerald Gessner, who'd most probably change the feet to some rubber ones, replace the original clock by an "L-Clock", change the original line-jacks to WBTs and then suggest to replace the original output stage by his discrete output circuit... As you're in Sweden, maybe an L-Clock (it's a Danish product...) would be also a good idea, in case you'd like to tune yours up...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 19, 2003 at 10:53 AM Post #22 of 22
Thanks for the info lini. I've thought to mod the 6000OSE. There is a small Swedish company that makes mods including master clock and power supply changes. I'll perhaps wait for a while with this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back