Marantz CD-63 Tip for use with Logitech Harmony remotes
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bcpk

1000+ Head-Fier
This is just something I figured out after a long long time of frustrated Googling, and felt it was worth recording, in the hopes that it might help someone else in five years' time.

I bought a Logitech Harmony 200 remote, because my "new" Marantz CD-63SE did not come with a remote, and the unit has no volume control on it*.

The CD-63SE was found in the Harmony database on myharmony.com**, but much to my dismay, the volume control programmed to the remote had no effect. All the other functions such as stop, start, fast forward were available and active, but the volume control did not work. Curses! The one functionality that I had bought the remote for did not work!

I looked up several ways to try to hack custom codes onto Harmony remotes, but they were all for more expensive models like the Harmony One, not for my cheapo 200 and its siblings the 300 and Link.

So... the solution. I had read that a simple generic remote would work as a replacement for a lost Marantz remote, so I figured there must be other devices there with common commands. After many fruitless attempts, including the CD-52, CD-48, SR6005 and Philips CD104, I finally got a model that worked - the Marantz CD-4000!

It is also possible to set the CD-4000 profile to control the volume while the CD-63SE profile does the rest, which is what I think I will settle on.

* I suppose it's intended to be used in conjunction with an amp, but my speakers are self-powered so that was of no use to me
** you have to use Logitech's new online interface for their cheaper remotes like the 200, which means you can't program custom hex onto the Harmony 200 like you can using the desktop Harmony Remote Software and more expensive models

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 3
This works on Marantz CD-53 as well !!

I was on the exact same boat as you (i have harmony 300) and after ages trying google a solution and came across this !! 

So again Thank you !

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 3
I emailed logitech support telling them that the CD-63 codes didn't work and that the codes for the CD-4000 did work, but I'm not sure if they have updated their database. Probably not :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back