Mapletree Ear+ HD Super II
Apr 11, 2010 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

rclanger

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to pick up a new headphone amp to replace my X-Canv3. Currently driving a pair of Sennheiser HD650's. I'm considering the Mapletree. It uses 5751 input tubes and since I have a bunch of that type on hand, it seems like a practical choice. How does the Mapletree compare to other headphone amps in the $800 price range?

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 66
Oops! Thanks for catching that. That's what I get for trying to multi-task
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 66
As probably the only owner in the world of one, I think it'd compare very, very well
smily_headphones1.gif

I compared it to my Nuforce HDP, which has an amp section good enough that I've seen at least a few people selling off their dedicated amps since the HDP amp was good enough (LD MKIV, and possibly even a Woo Audio 6 IIRC). The review in the DAC forum says "it's only slightly below my $1250 maxed Woo WA6 with RCA 6DE7 and Sophia Princess 274B, or my $995 ALO Amphora headphone amps". If that really is true, then the Super II beats (or at least matches) all of those amps mentioned, because the difference between the HDP and Super II is pretty big. Musicality, organicness, emotional involvement all take a pretty big leap with the Super II. TBH, with the Beyer T1 + HDP combo, I felt like I'd wasted my money; I didn't even feel like listening to it because it was just missing something to my ears. With the T1 + HDP + Super II combo, I enjoyed it so much I didn't even think about the money.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As probably the only owner in the world of one, I think it'd compare very, very well
smily_headphones1.gif

Still waiting here... How do you find the Super II in terms of quietness, CC? I've heard the 250, and really liked it, but found it to have some hum which my previous MADs lacked entirely. Looking forward to this pairing with HD800s once back from abroad!

best,

o

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 66
Oh, sorry must've missed your question in the general Maple thread.

Note these noise floor evaluations are with a 6ft umbilical cord, which I use to keep the amp on the desk and the PSU on the floor where it sits unappreciated with my surge protectors
smily_headphones1.gif

It's *dead quiet* with the Beyer T1's. I can't tell a diff with the T1's plugged and unplugged with the Super II at max volume in the Hi Z output. If I had to A/B if the amp was on at all, or if the T1's were even plugged in, I'd fail miserably.

With my TF10 IEM's it's like an average amp driving full size cans in this aspect. At max volume to the Hi Z output, there's a good bit of hiss and I can hear a low transformer hum in the right channel. However, these are IEMs, and max volume is WAY past listenable. At the highest listenable volume (12 oclock on Hi Z), the transformer hum is there if you really listen for it, and the hiss is such that you won't notice it, but you will notice when the hiss is gone when you unplug it.

So basically, in terms of noise,
Full size = virtually nonexistant
IEM = equivalent of average amp driving full size cans

Which is very, very good
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm guessing it's cause he separated the amp and PSU.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 66
Quote:

Oh, sorry must've missed your question in the general Maple thread.

Note these noise floor evaluations are with a 6ft umbilical cord, which I use to keep the amp on the desk and the PSU on the floor where it sits unappreciated with my surge protectors
smily_headphones1.gif

It's *dead quiet* with the Beyer T1's. I can't tell a diff with the T1's plugged and unplugged with the Super II at max volume in the Hi Z output. If I had to A/B if the amp was on at all, or if the T1's were even plugged in, I'd fail miserably.

With my TF10 IEM's it's like an average amp driving full size cans in this aspect. At max volume to the Hi Z output, there's a good bit of hiss and I can hear a low transformer hum in the right channel. However, these are IEMs, and max volume is WAY past listenable. At the highest listenable volume (12 oclock on Hi Z), the transformer hum is there if you really listen for it, and the hiss is such that you won't notice it, but you will notice when the hiss is gone when you unplug it.

So basically, in terms of noise,
Full size = virtually nonexistant
IEM = equivalent of average amp driving full size cans

Which is very, very good
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm guessing it's cause he separated the amp and PSU.

Thanks for the quick and clear reply -- by "still waiting" I meant on the amp and not on your answer -- apologies. I doubt I'd use this with IEMs anyway, just the Senns and ESW10s.

Looking forward to hearing it now that the hum problem has been solved and thanks again for the post,

o

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 66
Thanks for the info, CCB!

What are you running for sources? Most of my headphone listening has been with vinyl. I went from the MF X-LPSv3 to a MiniMax and currently trying out the Nighthawk phono stage. The Nighthawk has plenty of gain to drive the headphone amp without needing to go through a linestage.

Does your Super II have a pass-through that could go to the inputs on a linestage?

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 66
I *was* using a HDP via USB for a DAC, but I sold that and am now living with a DAC I got for $15 on eBay
smily_headphones1.gif
My DAC19DSP ships out tomorrow though, thank goodness
smily_headphones1.gif

And yep, the Super II does have a pass through. I did ask for them to be added on though, and Lloyd said they're there by default or something... I'd ask again just to be sure.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 66
Looks like Mapletree won't be taking any new orders until May 1st. Gives me some more time to think about it, but with the stash of 5751's I have on hand it seems like a practical choice.

Do the 5751's in this amp have to be run in matched pairs or just reasonably matched?

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I compared it to my Nuforce HDP, which has an amp section good enough that I've seen at least a few people selling off their dedicated amps since the HDP amp was good enough (LD MKIV, and possibly even a Woo Audio 6 IIRC). The review in the DAC forum says "it's only slightly below my $1250 maxed Woo WA6 with RCA 6DE7 and Sophia Princess 274B, or my $995 ALO Amphora headphone amps". If that really is true, then the Super II beats (or at least matches) all of those amps mentioned, because the difference between the HDP and Super II is pretty big. Musicality, organicness, emotional involvement all take a pretty big leap with the Super II. TBH, with the Beyer T1 + HDP combo, I felt like I'd wasted my money; I didn't even feel like listening to it because it was just missing something to my ears. With the T1 + HDP + Super II combo, I enjoyed it so much I didn't even think about the money.

hi count,
little confused, so u did not like the hdp? or you thought the super II was alot better,, and you thought the hdp was alot better than amphora??

this is got me goin, i never even considered using the hdp as a standalone headamp,, if this is true it just became alot more interesting,,
i do wonder how it (hdp) would compare to the headroom desktop amp/dac or the lehman linear or the burson 160 or how they all compare.

im gonna have to check those specs out more thoroughly, regardless the hdp was top of the list for dac but i wanted something really small.

May 6, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 66
For anyone interested, I have placed an order for a new Mapletree HD+ Super II. I opted for the passive preamp model with switchable inputs and awesome red chassis. Yep, that's me at the very end of the order queue! I can't wait -- I have a nice collection of NOS EL84s and 12AX7s, so it will be an instant tube-roller's delight when this amp arrives in 6 weeks.

May 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 66
After 8 weeks of waiting finally just got my Super II today and I must say it was worth the wait.  I have been listening to it for 2 hours now and even with the stock tube it sounds better than my Woo 6 with a Sophia tube.  Can't wait to do some tube rolling and see if I can tweak the sound even more to my liking.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Now back to some music and relaxing 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back