Mapletree Amps... What fine products!
Jan 17, 2011 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BrianMendoza

100+ Head-Fier

Hey guys, I just got my Mapletree Ear HD+, on Saturday morning, from Olias (who is an awesome dude, I'd buy from him again, any day) and I am so impressed.

I read a lot about the pairing of the RS1 and Mapletree and there's no surprised it's that raved about. They pair so well, it's outrageous. It cleaned up a lot of sibilance I was getting with the RS1, opened the soundstage, and just made everything sound SO smooth, I don't know what it's going to be like listening to my RS1's through anything else if it ever comes up later...

I guess before Olias sold it to me, and before he bought it, the first owner did the PDPS (Pseudo Dual Power Supply) mod, so I'm not sure what it would sound like without it, but I can tell you the amp sounds great. The amp came with a Solvtek 5751 tube, and I just bought a used Sylvania 5751 tube because I've heard nothing but praise for it. I'll have to post on the differences when I get the sylvania later this week.

I've done a lot comparing with my RS1 and HF2 on the mapletree also. I really think this amp was meant for the RS1. The HF2 still sounded great, but there was something about the RS1 through the Mapletree that was special.

Also, If any of you guys are interested, I'm sad to say I did post my HF2 and RA1 in the Head-Fi classifieds:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534425/grado-hf-2-312 

(That's the link for the HF2's)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534404/grado-ra1-amplifier

(That's the link for the RA1)

I didn't want to get rid of the HF2's so quickly, but now that I have this Mapletree, I'm excited to try it out with some high impedance cans. So unless I want overdraft fees, I must sell some gear, even if I just received it earlier this week. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 11
Hey congrats!

The pairing is ridiculously good! The Sylvania NOS Gray Triple Micas are my particular favourite tubes with the RS1/RS1i. I have yet to hear a better amp for the RS1s.

The MAD Ear+HD also does a very good job with the 600 ohm T1s and 300 ohm HD800s. However, I would recommend the 12AX7 version of the NOS Sylvania tube above (or a current production Genalex Gold Lion...also very nice).

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks man! The sylvania I ordered was the 5751 black triple mica, hopefully it sounds similar to the Greys you mentioned.

Hey I remember when I PMed you about complimentary cans to the RS1's, and you mentioned that with the RA1, it would be to hard to drive higher impedance cans. Now that I have the mapletree, do you think the HD650's would be a good choice? I just bought a pair for a killer deal today to go w the RS1's and Im hoping the 650's pair well w the mapletree

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Thanks man! The sylvania I ordered was the 5751 black triple mica, hopefully it sounds similar to the Greys you mentioned.

Hey I remember when I PMed you about complimentary cans to the RS1's, and you mentioned that with the RA1, it would be to hard to drive higher impedance cans. Now that I have the mapletree, do you think the HD650's would be a good choice? I just bought a pair for a killer deal today to go w the RS1's and Im hoping the 650's pair well w the mapletree

Don't get me wrong the Black Triple Micas are great tubes too. I find their bass really strong, but overall I find the gray's slightly more balanced with a slightly wider sound stage. Both are my two favourites.

Absolutely, the MAD works very well with the HD650s (used to own them). But I would seek out a 12AX7 tube for them and their 300 ohm impedance.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 11
I also use gray plate Sylvania 5751 with RS-1 and save the black plate 5751 for HD600.  The former is warm and lush which complements the bright and intense sound of the RS-1, while the latter is faster & brighter which suits the more laid-back sound of the Senns.  They mate extremely well with the Mapletree Ear+HD imo.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Absolutely, the MAD works very well with the HD650s (used to own them). But I would seek out a 12AX7 tube for them and their 300 ohm impedance.

Oh alright! Olias sent me a tung-sol 12ax7 tube as an extra for the amp. When my HD650's come in, I'll definitely give that a shot.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm really glad you're enjoying the Mapletree, Brian. It pained me to sell it, but with a new baby in the house and the new financial pressures that causes, I couldn't justify keeping both the Ear+ HD the Super II around. They're very similar amps, but the Super II is just slightly better at driving the T1s, and my T1s have been getting most of my head time these days. The Super II is no slouch when it comes to Grados, especially with a pair of mellow 5751s up front, so it's all good in the end.

Now, about HD650s... honestly, I think they're harder to drive to their peak than my T1s are. The NOS Tung-Sol 12AX7 I sent with the amp should do a pretty good job with your Senns. I like the Tung-Sol just as much as the new production Gold Lions that MacedonianHero mentioned earlier (the Gold Lions being the best new production 12AX7s I've personally tried). I loved my HD650s (only sold them when the T1s landed in my lap), and though I generally gravitated toward SS amps with the Senns, the Mapletree was always more than acceptable.

Unless the upgrade bug bites hard, you should be good to go for a while. I've always thought that with RS-1s, HD650s and a Mapletree amp, I could happily listen to every single album in my collection.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
I'm really glad you're enjoying the Mapletree, Brian. It pained me to sell it, but with a new baby in the house and the new financial pressures that causes, I couldn't justify keeping both the Ear+ HD the Super II around. They're very similar amps, but the Super II is just slightly better at driving the T1s, and my T1s have been getting most of my head time these days. The Super II is no slouch when it comes to Grados, especially with a pair of mellow 5751s up front, so it's all good in the end.

Now, about HD650s... honestly, I think they're harder to drive to their peak than my T1s are. The NOS Tung-Sol 12AX7 I sent with the amp should do a pretty good job with your Senns. I like the Tung-Sol just as much as the new production Gold Lions that MacedonianHero mentioned earlier (the Gold Lions being the best new production 12AX7s I've personally tried). I loved my HD650s (only sold them when the T1s landed in my lap), and though I generally gravitated toward SS amps with the Senns, the Mapletree was always more than acceptable.

Unless the upgrade bug bites hard, you should be good to go for a while. I've always thought that with RS-1s, HD650s and a Mapletree amp, I could happily listen to every single album in my collection.

Sounds good man. Do you think the sylvania 5751 will be able to drive the 650's? 

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 11
I just got my Purist HD+ back after auditioning a Woo Audio WA2 and I can honestly say I prefer the Mapletree with my HD800s.

The WA2 was good on the HD650s but a bit thin sounding on the HD800s...they definitely prefer the lush HD+

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 11
I listened to GS-1000's thru the Mapletree and before I heard the HE-500/Meier Concerto setup, I swear that was the best setup I ever heard in my life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back