Many, many doubts.
Jul 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

alhevo

New Head-Fier
Guys, here is the thing:

I've been reading Head-Fi for a few weeks now, but the many threads I have read don't seem to solve all my problems.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I'm entering this world. Still pretty new in business, but I'm trying to grow.

First of all, I'm getting my first laptop in a few weeks now. This is probably not much for anyone here, but considering I'm just 15 years old it's a big deal for me. And I also have a 64GB, 3rd gen iPod Touch.

I've been looking for a pair of cans for about three months; I have around 75~80 dollars to spend, and I've been looking for amazon (the lowest prices I checked are there), and I found what I thought were really nice headphones. However, my concern has been impedance. I'm still learning, but I get that I shouldn't use high impendance headphones with my iPod. Also, buying an amplifier now is out of question. At first, I decided to get Sony's MDR-V600, but I read many comments here saying that those cans are basically trash. Now, I really don't know what I should get.

Note: 80 USD is really my maximum value. I'm aware that it won't get me a high-end phone, but I also know I don't need a high-end phone. I still have a lot to learn, and I know that I'm not gonna hear the difference between a 80 USD headphone and a 500 USD pair.

I don't plan to walk with those phones, I'm going to use them mostly at home, but I may have to take them to my church sometimes, which is where I'm learning (basically, by myself) sound mixing and how to use a console in a better way.

Because I don't live in America, using warranty would be a bit of a problem, but it's still a nice add-on. And, because I may not be able to get it replaced, I need a durable pair.

And also, it can't be a small headphone. I'm not small, and neither is my head.

A few things I would like, but not REALLY necessary:
- detachable cord
- a collapsible model.

So, the final question is: what phone should I get, to use with and iPod and a laptop (mainly a laptop - an acer), and without any amp? I understand that's a lot of stuff for my budget, but there must be at least one pair of cans outside there that fit my needs.

Thank you.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 22
Ok,

I was reading and I realized that information was missing. I would rather a closed design; I listen mainly to metal/rock music, but it doesn't mean I won't listen to other genres. I also think that bass is not everything. I like female vocals, but they are not my main goal -- I can't have a headphone that is good just for female vocals or just for metal.

I am also trying to re-build my library with only flac and 320kbps mp3 music. Maybe this doesn't matter, but still. The info is here.

I hope nothing else is missing.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 22
Must it be new and purchased from amazon?  This is the hardest recommendation I've had to give in a while, I think some type of sacrifice will have to be made lol.  I say go for the Fostex T50RP, it meets a lot of your requirements and is VERY highly regarded as one of the best sets available.

And you would hear the difference in a $500 vs a $50 :p  

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 22
Heya,

What kind of music/sound are we talking here? Any preferences? Bass heavy? Neutral? Mid/High forward?
What kind of style? Do you even care what it looks like? Do pads matter to you at all?

I know you have an $80 budget, max. However, if you could some how score another $30, you could get the M50 and avoid getting something you'll regret later. The M50 will cover you for years.

Otherwise, check these out: JVC HARX900 or Pioneer HDJ-500 or Sony MDR-V6

Very best,

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 22
I know we're not talking about very much money here, at least where this hobby is concerned, but it seems silly to base your decision on the advice of strangers in an internet forum.  While a lot of us agree on which cans sound good, a lot of us don't, and if you buy from the Internet without auditioning first, you are likely going to be sorry.

I don't know where you live, but you should probably try to get to a head-fi meet if possible, or at least a local audio shop to demo headphones. Forget about matching impedance or whatever.  If you find an easy-to-drive headphone that sounds like your aunt's butt to your ears, you're never going to put it on anyway.

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 22
Hm... I think Im might be able to take some effort and throw a few more bucks in. I listen mainly to rock and metal, but not exclusively at all. Buying locally is not an option. I know it would give me a lot more chance to try the headphones on, but taxes here are half of the price of any electronic product. Any 100$ pair of headphones up there in the USA would cost the equivalent of 150, maybe 200 bucks.

No it doesn't have to be from amazon. But I would rather it be, because I'm getting some more stuff else from there and I'd like to buy it all together.

I'm only getting those cans because a friend of mine is traveling to the US and she can bring it to me.

I care a little about what the cans look like, but beauty is not necessary. I'm not getting it to show off, but to listen to music. Otherwise I would get any skullcandy stuff.

Hm... the pads? Don't know much about that. I just want them to give me... comfort.

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 22
I'm thinking Ultrasone HFI-450. Be aware that it is a little bass heavy, but it seems to meet all of your requirements (except maybe price, which I'm not sure about there).

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 22
I'd say go for the V6/7506. It's in your budget, they're pretty flat phones which are very good for mixing, good for all genres, and from what I've heard they have good bass response. They're also very comfortable for long periods.

As for opinions about them on head-fi, I've read polar opposite reviews. People tend to love 'em or hate 'em. Not because they're bad headphones, I think it's more of a preferred sound sig thing. I've also heard people complain about the treble/highs being too sharp but again, it's all subjective. However, I see them used all the time by professionals and casual listeners alike so I don't think they're bad at all. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
I'd say go for the V6/7506. It's in your budget, they're pretty flat phones which are very good for mixing, good for all genres, and from what I've heard they have good bass response. They're also very comfortable for long periods.

As for opinions about them on head-fi, I've read polar opposite reviews. People tend to love 'em or hate 'em. Not because they're bad headphones, I think it's more of a preferred sound sig thing. I've also heard people complain about the treble/highs being too sharp but again, it's all subjective. However, I see them used all the time by professionals and casual listeners alike so I don't think they're bad at all. 

I am curious, have you ever heard a V6/7506 with your own ears?  Or are you recommending a headphone that you have never heard that by your own admission is descibed often by "polar opposite views."
Do you think that is wise? Or even helpful?  These headphones that some professionals wear and some casual listeners also wear (a lot of casual listeners wearing Skullcandy, Beats and worse I might add) that you are now recommending, how do they sound in your opinion? 

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 22
Well, guys,

I'm leaning towards the M50. I just read a couple of reviews and they made me want that pair of phones. Is there anything I should know about those, or why I shouldn't buy them?

Thanks

Luke

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 22
I have a pair of Sony MDR- V6. They really are a great headphone. I don't understand why they get bad reviews. They have a very good bass response, good mid range, and aren't bad with treble. In my opinion they are a good pair of all around headphones. To me they have a pretty neutral sound signature. As far as the highs being shrill, that depends on the recording. If the recording is well done you will not have that problem. I think the sony's are a great pair of starter headphones. I've had mine for two years and I love them. They have seen a lot of use.  

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
I am curious, have you ever heard a V6/7506 with your own ears?  Or are you recommending a headphone that you have never heard that by your own admission is descibed often by "polar opposite views."
Do you think that is wise? Or even helpful?  These headphones that some professionals wear and some casual listeners also wear (a lot of casual listeners wearing Skullcandy, Beats and worse I might add) that you are now recommending, how do they sound in your opinion? 

I have used the 7506 for recording sound while shooting a film, but no I haven't used them with music. I've read a lot of impressions on these phones however, enough to know that they are rather flat and exceptional for mixing. In this case, I think it's quite fine that I'm recommending this headphone. They have a great track record and reputation. Comparing these to Skullcandies and Beats though that's pretty funny - have you ever heard them? And what's wrong with a casual listener who chooses these for headphones? It means that particular casual listener has good taste when it comes to headphones and probably did her/his research instead of following the masses who wear Beats/Skullcandies.

And please, spare me the condescending lecture on only recommending headphones you have actually heard. No offense to anyone here, but people are recommending SR-60's when I highly doubt those would be ideal for mixing considering the fact that they are not flat at all. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Ultrasones are usually colored too, although I admit I haven't heard the 450's. Even the M50's, which can be used for mixing, are not the flattest phones (highs are pretty unnatural, not to mention they are out of the OP's budget). But there is a reason why SO MANY professionals use Sony V6/7506's. Which happens to be in the OP's budget. Which is why I recommended them. Sue me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back