managing multiple desktop dacs, amps, etc.
Jan 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

urbino

100+ Head-Fier
For those of you who own multiple pieces of desktop kit and use it all, how do you switch among sources and output devices?

For example, if you have multiple amps (or dac/amps) and you want to switch a common source among them, what do you do?  Just shut them down and move the cable(s) from one to the other?  

Obviously, if you're switching among multiple DACs and sending them to the same amp, that's the job of a preamp and tons of options are available.  But is there a device that functions as sort of a reverse preamp -- i.e., instead of switching between multiple sources and sending the output to a common destination, it switches between multiple destinations for a common input.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 11
  For those of you who own multiple pieces of desktop kit and use it all, how do you switch among sources and output devices?

For example, if you have multiple amps (or dac/amps) and you want to switch a common source among them, what do you do?  Just shut them down and move the cable(s) from one to the other?  

Obviously, if you're switching among multiple DACs and sending them to the same amp, that's the job of a preamp and tons of options are available.  But is there a device that functions as sort of a reverse preamp -- i.e., instead of switching between multiple sources and sending the output to a common destination, it switches between multiple destinations for a common input.

I use two Schiit SYS in reverse configuration, and numerous Y-cables. Seven amps and three DACs.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 11
  I use two Schiit SYS in reverse configuration, and numerous Y-cables. Seven amps and three DACs.

That's quite a rack of equipment!  Those big SAE components take me back to my days as a young audiophile.  SAE, Sumo, Belles, B&K, all those classic brands.

3 DACs feeding 2 SYS units makes sense.  Do you run one SYS into the other and then y-cable the heck out of it to feed all 7 amps somehow, or are your amps split between the 2 SYS units?  Either way, it's a lot of y-cabling, like you said.  You don't run into problems with signal degradation, reduced gain, higher noise floor, etc.?

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 11
Well, the answer to my question -- or the only answer I could find, anyway -- is a Grace Design M920.  It's a DAC/preamp/HPA, which is nice, but it's also what the studio pros apparently call a "monitor controller," which is exactly what I need.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 11
  Well, the answer to my question -- or the only answer I could find, anyway -- is a Grace Design M920.  It's a DAC/preamp/HPA, which is nice, but it's also what the studio pros apparently call a "monitor controller," which is exactly what I need.

Glad you found what you need. My low-tech solution works for me, but there are certainly other solutions.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 11

Glad you found what you need. My low-tech solution works for me, but there are certainly other solutions.

Yup, many ways to skin a cat.  I really appreciate you describing your solution for me.  I've asked 3 questions in this area of the forums and gotten very little feedback.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 11

Yup, many ways to skin a cat.  I really appreciate you describing your solution for me.  I've asked 3 questions in this area of the forums and gotten very little feedback.

To satisfy my curiosity. Care to outline your specific requirements? 

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 11
  To satisfy my curiosity. Care to outline your specific requirements? 

I want to run signal to 3 different amps: my active monitors, my DV 336SE, and my analog system.

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 11

I want to run signal to 3 different amps: my active monitors, my DV 336SE, and my analog system.

Investigate the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. A Y-connector off the RCA outputs to your DV 336SE and your analog system, and balanced cables to your active monitors and you should be in business.

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

Full disclosure: I own a DC-1 and a DV 336SE.
beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 11

Investigate the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. A Y-connector off the RCA outputs to your DV 336SE and your analog system, and balanced cables to your active monitors and you should be in business.

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

Full disclosure: I own a DC-1 and a DV 336SE.
beerchug.gif

I've already bought the M920 through Massdrop.  If it can completely replace my HA-1, I'll sell the latter and not have much more money in the M920 than the cost of a DC-1.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 11

I've already bought the M920 through Massdrop.  If it can completely replace my HA-1, I'll sell the latter and not have much more money in the M920 than the cost of a DC-1.

multi dacs oui that sounds like fun! 

an nice pic @Mr Rick thats a pretty nice little stack of schiit, an gear man! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back