Making your own HD600 cable
Feb 14, 2004 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mindless

1000+ Head-Fier
Is it just as simple as it is said on Jan Meiers site? Just remove the plastic shielding near the plug and warm it a bit with a soldering iron and gently drag the cable out of the connector (thats the way I understood the instructions) And after that just solder back whatever type of silver/copper cable you want with some nice tech-flex on it, and hope for some improvement over the stock cable?

Please someone with expirience answer (Hajime or someone else)

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 5
There's a little more to it, you need to remove the enamel on the stock wires, which can be done with a lighter or something simliar, but otherwise, yeah, it really is that easy. You may want to secure your solder joints with some heatshrink, but otherwise, you've pretty much got it

Feb 14, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 5
'enamel' thats like the plastic shielding over the entire cable right?

And to pull out the cable, I just warm it with a soldering iron and drag it out, then I put some tin on the soldering iron and smear it out on the new cables end wich will go into the plug and warm that a bit so it can melt into the pins inside the plug, right?

Feb 14, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 5
It can be a royal pain in the butt. Use an exacto knife and cut the cable through around two inches away from the adapter. Then very gently cut at the rubber one inch away from the adapter, making sure not to go through the rubber to the wire beneath. Cutting an inch away gives you a second chance in case you make a mistake. Slide the rubber off as gently as possible exposing the wire beneath. There is a negative (return) side and a positive side. To determine which side is the return, look at the plug side that has the letter on it. The return side is on the left. The other side will be your channel.

As Ebonyks said, there is an enamel on the wires. I do not recommend trying to burn off the enamel with a lighter unless you take the length of cut cable you're not going to use and practice once or twice first. The enamel burns and can harden and blacken which will make your adapter potentially useless. A great and simple way to get rid of the enamel is simply to place a drop of solder at the end of your soldering iron and move it over the wires as if you were tinning them. Try doing this for a short period of time, then stop so the enamel doesn't get hot enough to burn. The enamel will flow into the solder while you do this and then you can simply wipe your iron tip off on a damp sponge, getting rid of the solder that has the enamel in it. Add another drop of solder and go at it again. After a few minutes the enamel will be fully removed and your wires will be tinned and ready for soldering to your cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back