Making the move: Melbourne to Philly!
Jan 21, 2003 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

stymie miasma

500+ Head-Fier
Well, in about 3 weeks I will boarding a big plane in Melbourne, Australia with my backpack, bike, CDs headphones, clothes and a few other assorted things that I manage to squeeze in. My destination is Philadelphia, where I will be working at the University of Pennsylvania. This will be my first post-doc position since submitting my PhD thesis last December. I am equally excited and nervous!
biggrin.gif

So, over the next few months, expect to hear the odd comment here and there from me regarding life in the US of A. I am presently committing to memory the etiquette of tipping, as well as a few other things that will hopefully keep me out of trouble
wink.gif

Sorry to my fellow Australians, I know we are under-represented in this community, but I can assure you that my alleigances to our funny-shaped continent will remain
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 18
my condolences.
biggrin.gif

actually I didn't mind PA, but would have rather lived in Taylorsville, myself. The outer towns aren't too bad, like Amber and North Wales.

Hope you like a lot of traffic. And make sure you check out the symphony hall.

Jan 21, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 18
Well, Melbourne is a reasonably busy metropolis and from what I can gather, there are twice as many people living here than in Philadelphia - I don't imagine the traffic will be too scary for me
wink.gif

What I am a bit scared of is the hot and humid summers - the thought of having various fungi and moulds growing on my person is not appealing - maybe I will just have to improve my personal hygiene habits
tongue.gif

Oh - I'll make a point of checking out symphony hall - cheers!

Jan 21, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
welcome to the us of a stymie! glad to have you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks red...the dude abides
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
congratulations on your Ph.D. What do you study? You must be a smarty to get a job a UPenn first time out. That is a very good school. I hope you enjoy it.

Why thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
My thesis looked at signal transduction mechanisms employed by the insulin receptor - so a lot of biochemistry and cell biology. It was fun, but I am glad it is over - time to move on.

The job at Penn came up as my supervisor here in Melbourne is colleagues with my prospective employer at Penn, who happened to be recruiting at the time. I will be working in a similar area to that of my PhD, so I guess my experience in the area was looked upon favourably. I wouldn't say I am too much of a smarty, but I hope to be by the time my tenure at Penn is up
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

What I am a bit scared of is the hot and humid summers - the thought of having various fungi and moulds growing on my person is not appealing - maybe I will just have to improve my personal hygiene habits

I wouldn't worry about that. Philadelphia isn't exactly the tropics! I think you're more likely to come down with headcolds from tredging through winter slush!
biggrin.gif

Ahh, Philly. Cheese steaks, Southstreet, great record stores, concerts at the Spectrum. As Spinal Tap said: "Philly is a rock and roll town!"

Jan 21, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 18
HI: So you are comming to phila. Well you know that you have to pay the boys every week to live and work here so just send me the money and I will tell the boys that you are ok.
biggrin.gif
Good luck with your move and new job and welcome to phila. I think that you will like walking down south st. Lots of stores and go to JIMS for a great cheese steak. Welcome again

Jan 21, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 18
Important thing to remember here in the States:

.....we drive on the right side of the road.
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations on your new gig. Making a move like that takes a lot of courage, I commend you.

Jan 21, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Important thing to remember here in the States: .....we drive on the right side of the road.

Eh, not in Fluffya. Right down the middle. And not well. Plus anticipatory running of "soon to change" red lights is standard.

Jan 21, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Important thing to remember here in the States:

.....we drive on the right side of the road.
smily_headphones1.gif

if you find yourself in ballard washington, remember to also drive 10 mph below the speed limit, with your seatbelt hanging out the door and your left turn signal on.

Jan 21, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 18
Wow...thanks for the pointers and well-wishes guys! I'm not sure how soon I will be driving, but I hope to get the treadlie up and running ASAP - must remember to ride on the right - this could end in tears
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #15 of 18
Stymie, Quote:

What I am a bit scared of is the hot and humid summers

Be scared. Be very, very scared. It's not exactly the South (why do you think they call it "In the Heat of the Night"?), but it's still a pain. 90 degree weather with 90 per cent humidity.

My friend and I took a vacation out west. Spent 2 weeks hiking Utah, Colorado and Arizona. Landed in Philly middle of August at 8 pm. As we walked though the airport terminal door we became instantly drenched from top of head to bottom of foot with sweat. He just looked at me and said, "Let's go back to Utah. NOW."

And I can remember a few days where it was hard to breathe. I mean HOT and HUMID! I'd rather be in Las Vegas in 115 degree weather than NYC when it's at 90/90 or 90/100. Nothing like 100 percent humidity and no rain. Just sweat.

Oh, and are gonna love the winters - nice ice storms, and blizzards, April and October - torrential rain and leaves up to your knees...
wink.gif

No spiders, snakes, or lions, deer or bears. Just a nice dreary place in the fall. But a wonderful place in the spring and summer and fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back