Making Philips DVD-963SA region free
Mar 29, 2003 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

aeberbach

Headphoneus Supremus
FINALLY!

A frustrating day but I finally have region free using RC6 code from my laptop. I tried prontoirda first, building an IR LED attachment for LPT1 but no go. To do that I had to install Windows 98...

What worked is here:
http://reijndert.homelinux.com/

What you do:
Click on "other ways" link
Grab buttonfile
Follow other link to download remote13.zip
Unpack software, unpack button file into same directory
Ensure IRDA is enabled on laptop
Choose correct com port in remote13 (on my old thinkpad it is COM3)
Click "Reg Free" button while pointing IRDA port at DVD player.
When you see "-----------", input 222 222 005 255 and "PLAY".

I was thinking this might have been locked out of the firmware I had so much trouble with the other methods. My firmware is
5580 4.81.18 021031P11101100 7.10.0

Hoping this saves some people all the trouble I went through...

Apr 6, 2003 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks aeberbach.

I followed your instructions and everything went perfect. Quick question, I have no DVD's which are not region 2 (UK region) to test whether its is now multi-region is there any other way to find out? Obviously i could order a region 1 DVD but if it then didn't work it would be a bit disappointing as I could then not watch the DVD.

In regards to the software, on my laptop it said the com port was 4 but selecting com 4 on the software didn't work however using com 2 did, not sure why this is but just to let others know who might have similar problems.

If this works this has to be the best and cheapest "mod" I've ever done especially as there are sites that want to charge £80 to multi-region the philips DVD player.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back