Making an Ety ER4P to 4S adapter
May 29, 2005 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
The ETY ER 4P to 4S adapter cable usually goes for about $50, and I'm sure it can be made for far less than that.

Is there a way to make one of these adapters simply and easily, or find an equivalent for a more reasonable price. With all the money I've been spending on gear...

Thanks!

May 29, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Is there any audible gain to using this adapter with an amp? All i can see is that this fouls up the dampening factor. The ER4S would have a different coil that gives it the higher impedance, not a resistor in series like the adapter cable would give you.

I don't see how the benefits could be any better other then presenting an easier to drive load to the amp.

May 29, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Is there any audible gain to using this adapter with an amp? All i can see is that this fouls up the dampening factor. The ER4S would have a different coil that gives it the higher impedance, not a resistor in series like the adapter cable would give you.

I don't see how the benefits could be any better other then presenting an easier to drive load to the amp.

The er-4S and 4P have the same transducers in them and it is in the cable differences is what sets them apart, so adding in the resistor adapter makes the 4P into the 4S in nearly every way

May 30, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 6
sorry. Click link and read first... post later.

May 30, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

just wire in some high quality 75 ohm resistors (1 per channel).

One should glance at this page for ideas, then wait until one has forgotten any details from this page, before starting. This converter is interconnect with good resistors, and everything one can learn from any part of this forum about making interconnect or choosing resistors is relevant. The idea of using Radio Shack parts because they offer a cute form factor gives me shivers.

I've made a number of these, and I intensely disliked the first few. To build one I liked, I took a high quality male plug, and a high quality female jack meant for panel use. The choice of wire also matters. I soldered the best resistors I could find inline with the female jack, then used heat shrink tubing to cover it for external use.

Anything one can say beyond this applies equally well to any first effort at making interconnect. One's first efforts at interconnect will generally sound miserable compared to later efforts; suck it in and accept this, plan on making lots of cables until it's a breeze and you understand all the issues. There's not much that is special about this cable, except that the resistors need to be of exceptional quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back