make me like country music
Jun 23, 2007 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
i haven't actually heard anything besides stuff on the radio. i love johnny cash, early eagles, and a few other musics that could be considered borderline country. i haven't looked into the genre at all. just throw a few recommendations at me, preferably varying in style. i'm pretty sure this is the only genre that isn't well-represented in my music library.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 47
I'm kind of an alt-country and folk guy so don't listen to much new country, so with that proviso out of the way, one of my favorites of modern times is Gillian Welch. She and her husband/partner David Rawlings did a very good one a few years ago called "Time (the Revelator)" that's destined to be a modern classic in the loosely defined country folk genre, and very nice sounding too. Not really quite what I call country, but recorded simply, live in the studio with just a couple of Neumann mikes, Gillian and David, banjo and vintage acoustic guitars, and a lot of good music. Gillian describes the album, "As opposed to little tiny folk songs, they're really tiny rock songs performed in an acoustic setting. In our heads we went electric without changing instruments."

Also Richard Buckner is a big favorite along those same country folk lines. "Bloomed" is outstanding, along with some of his newer stuff too. The 1999 Rykodisc reissue has some nice bonus tracks, but it is kind of pumped up unfortunately. Just got "Meadow" from last year and it has an outstanding cast of musicians and lots of great songs.

And Califone has a lot of country folk leanings, especially on the excellent "Roomsound". A little more eclectic, for sure, but really typifies what I like in music. A lot of their music leans more toward the bluesy country popularized by the Stones on records like "Exile On Main Street", but Califone and their predecessor Red Red Meat add some electronic textures and more experimental sounds.

And the Walkabouts. They did an album of covers in the mid 90s called "Satisfied Mind" that is outstanding, both musically and sonically. Real country. Even goes back to grab the 1927 Carter Family classic "The Storms Are On the Ocean" and make it a modern, moody classic. Beautiful album. I just recently picked up their "Ended Up A Stranger" from 2002 and it's really nice. Shouldn't have waited so long. Carla, as always, is a gem of a singer. Kinda wish she sang the lead even more often. The band is hot. The music is great. Even the sound is pretty nice, with Phil Brown producing and mixing along with the band, and Denis Blackham mastering. Brown and Blackham are a pretty good team. I have some others they've worked on like the Talk Talk reissue of "Spirit of Eden" that sounds great. Just honest and natural, without the fake pizzaz that wrecks a lot of CDs.

And of course, Lucinda Williams is the real thing, anything by her is choice. I'm partial to the self-titled one from the end of the 80s, but "Car Wheels" from the mid 90s is a certified classic, and should probably be in just about any collection of modern music.

Over The Rhine is another one that I've mentioned before. Have you heard that band? A few years ago they put out a sprawling 2-CD (or gatefold LP) epic with both acoustic and electric sections called "Ohio" that was easily one of the best of 2003. Again not entirely country, but Karin Bergquist has such a wonderfully expressive voice and you won't find music and lyrics much more compelling than this. Think maybe something along the lines of Fleetwood Mac meets Gram Parsons (or maybe Whiskeytown covering Gram Parsons like they did on that great tribute album from a few years ago that Emmylou Harris put together called "The Return of the Grievous Angel"). The lush sound is a little reminiscent of the Cowboy Junkies or Blue Rodeo. Not as overtly pop sounding as the Fleetwood Mac reference would suggest (nor as dreamy and hedonistic either). Think more "Tusk" than something like "Rumours". Somewhat spiritual. Nicely recorded by Paul Mahern at Echo Park in Bloomington, Indiana on 2" analog tape.

And speaking of Emmylou Harris, the one she did with Daniel Lanois in the mid 90s called "Wrecking Ball" is outstanding.

Listening to one of my favorites from the mid 90s right now, Palace Music (Will Oldham and family and friends) "Viva Last Blues". Might not be what you're after, but always knocks me out. Steve Albini recorded cross between Neil Young's folk and the Stones' dirty gospel blues. Yea, pretty great, creaking, crackly voice and all. Johnny Cash recorded his amazing title track from "I See A Darkness" on one of his last albums, and did a great job, but I still love Will Oldham's version the best. Either this one or that one is a great intro.

Tons more, but I'll stop there
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yea, Wilco's "Being There". And Son Volt's "Trace". Now I'll stop.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 47
Except for maybe contemporary christian, jazz and pop I think of a genre that has more filler, but there are certainly some greats.

If you're trying to drift in though, the earlier mentioned alt.country & new bluegrass is probably the best way in.

Ass Ponies - Some Stupid With A Flare Gun
Bobby Bare Jr. - Young Criminals Starvation League
Cold Mountain Soundtrack - Various Artists
Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
Jack Logan And Bob Kimbell - Woodshedding
John Prine - Souvenirs (folk crossover)
Neko Case - Furnace Room Lullaby
Wilco - Being There
Whiskeytown - Pneumonia

... but start with...
Hem - Rabbit Songs
Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band - The Mountain

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 47
thanks for the post Davey; i'll make a list for next time i'm at the record store
wink.gif

edit: blessingx too. i saw Ass Ponies at the store in question last time i went and contemplated getting an album by them just because of the name. now i have an excuse!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't do it. It's there or it isn't.

you never make any sense to me
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 47
Gretchen Wilson is pretty rocin' for a country gal
biggrin.gif

Leanne Rimes does some awesome covers of Patsy Cline
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a huge fan of Lucinda Williams. Her 'Live at the Filmore' is a fantastic addition. I also have her dvd from "Austin City Limits"

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 47
Dwight Yoakum-Gone
Junior Brown-12 Shades of Brown
Any old Buck Owens
All good stuff.

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 47
Hank Williams, Hank Thompson, Bob Wills, Marty Robbins, Merle Travis, Ray Price, The Carter Family, Johnny Cash... Get best ofs of these folks. You can't go wrong.

See ya
Steve

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 47
The posts so far in this thread lean very heavily toward alt-country, which is fine. I love Lucinda Williams, Steve Earl, Joe Ely, etc., but this is simply not the pure, original stuff.

Some true trailblazers I would recommend:

Hank Williams Sr. Simply one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century. Many of his tunes (Jambalaya, Hey Good Lookin', Lost Highway, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, etc, etc) are country standards, but his versions are definitive in every case. As All Music Guide aptly puts it, He is the father of modern country music. Avoid his idiot son like the plague.

George Jones. The epitome of the hard living honky tonk singer. Give this man a sad ballad and he will make you cry. And he turned out some jumpin' rockabilly early in his career. He was nearly killed a few years ago when his truck was involved in a one vehicle accident. It latter surfaced that he had a beer in one hand and his cell phone in the other at the time. Rockers and hip-hoppers have no monopoly on wild behaviour.

Dolly Parton. Her pop crossover stuff from the mid-70s forward is fine, but it's not real country. Her early material, including classics like "Coat of Many Colors" and "Jolene" (recently covered beautifully by the White Stripes) is definitive country. Her duets with Porter Wagener are also wonderful.

In the past few years, she has cannily moved to a small label and returned to a much more traditional sound. A highlight is her bluegrass-stoked cover of "Stairway to Heaven." Seriously.

She is also an incredibly gifted songwriter; in addition to the tunes mentioned above, she wrote "I Will Always Love You." Whitney Houston's blockbuster recording aint exactly country, but a great song is a great song.

If you look beyond the pop career and the exagerated sex-bomb image, you will find an absolutely essential artist.

Willy Nelson. His range goes way beyond country, to say the least. About a month ago he appeared in NYC, backed by Wynton Marsalis and Marsalis's band! But make no mistake, he is one of the greatest singers, guitarists and songwriters in the history of country. He penned "Crazy," which Patsy Cline turned into a classic for the ages. Also one of the architects of the so-called "outlaw" movement with his album The Red-Headed Stranger'

Loretta Lynn. One of the most recognizeable female voices in country, and one of the most outspoken, with hits including "Coal Miner's Daughter" and "The Pill" (highly controversial at the time, to say the least.)

In 2004, Jack White produced her album, Van Lear Rose. As unlikely a combination as this may seem, it's excellent. But much more toward the rock side than she usually ventures.

Tammy Wynette. Known forever, of course, for "Stand By Your Man," Wynette dominated the country charts for almost 20 years. AMG reports that she had no less than 17 number one hits during the 60s and 70s. "Justified and Ancient," her collaboration with English provocateurs the KLF was surprisingly good (and surpassingly weird), and proved that even near the end of her life, she had an open mind.

Patsy Cline. If this woman's voice doesn't make you shiver, have someone bury you: you're dead. "Crazy," "Walkin' After Midnight," "She's Got You" and so many others are all stone cold classics.

As I said at the top of this post, I love alt-country. But when I want to hear country without a hyphen, the artists above are some of people I turn to. I don't want to give the impression that trad country is dead; there are some young artists making pure country. But I thought it was best to suggest some of the legends first...hope this is of use to you!

Jun 23, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by whistler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
more Bluegrass than Country but Alison Krauss and Union Station are great.

x3 ... the Live album is superbly recorded, and has a good song selection.

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The group Dixie Chicks are pretty easy to digest for someone trying to develop "country ears".

For someone who already has "country ears" the Dixie Chicks are a sure way to come down with a case of indigestion.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back