main sound processor for different portable mp3 players
Jan 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

specineff

New Head-Fier
Hi... i'm new to this forum and am seeking information about the sound processor chips for mp3 players.

i've been using mp3 players since ipod gen 2 but the sound processor never really bothered me till of late, especially since i had been searching for Sansa Clip range of products (but it is not available for retail in my country.

looking at amazon, there are many products of that size and i saw a Philips Raga in a local supermarket... so i started looking for info on the DAP/ sound processor for the different players (Mach Speed technical helpdesk came back wit the reply that the information is confidential)... which is less than helpful...

Is there a website somewhere that has info on this matter?

cheers!

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi specineff and welcome to the forum. The DAC/processor inside a DAP is sometimes difficult to find and even more difficult to find opinions or comparisons with other components/players. Whether a given Wolfon DAC is better than a Cirrus DAC for example. Manufacturers tend to be rather vague about their products and this has lead consumers to incorrect beliefs. In a DAP many different elements contribute to the final sound. It is both possible to make a mediocre sounding player with high grade parts as well as a good sounding player with less well liked parts. These sort of things make finding your ideal player difficult. Other people's opinions and idea of quality are a step in the right direction but not absolutely reliable. I've never found a website that detailed different players components and compared their quality. This would require a considerable effort and be difficult to do.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi Sefelt103! Really appreciate your response!  I am just getting my feet wet in this awesome world of portable audiophile. I had previously gotten some portable MP3 players but had always been using mp3 compression, never did FLAC before... i stumbled upon the Sansa and came across headfi while googling for news and info about Sansa. It was blind luck that i got myself a beast of a player.  Mine's currently dead, having taken a swim when it ought not to... and am looking to getting a replacement, possibly from Amazon, since Singapore does not sell it.  I'm looking to get new headphones and would be popping by my local audiophile's gear shop for it... so far, i have had the grados 325 and a recently mono-sounded ATH-ES7 (1 of the side has no sound... would like to mod it back to life but lack the technical skills... sad)

thanks again for the response!

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 8
I recently converted my collection to Flac.I like it as an archive and for playing through my S:Flo2/Fiio E9 amp. I can notice an improvement over mp3 320kbps but If you are going portable then with IEMs and without an amp. 320 is more than adequate. Being an audiophile is a quite interesting and sometimes frustrating hobby. I don't have the money to try all the equipment and evaluate it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 8
You don't need to an audiophile to really enjoy your music, nor do you need to spend lots of money for the gears. People become audiophiles because they want the best sound for their music. But the truth is you don't need the best sound (if it exists at all) for you to enjoy the music. Music always sounds better than audio.
wink_face.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
You don't need to an audiophile to really enjoy your music, nor do you need to spend lots of money for the gears. People become audiophiles because they want the best sound for their music. But the truth is you don't need the best sound (if it exists at all) for you to enjoy the music. Music always sounds better than audio.
wink_face.gif

Quite right....listen to the music, not the gear. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back