Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Oct 1, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #3,182 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Facade, have you heard the Song of the Earth by Klemperer with Ludwig and Wunderlich..........thats the only one for me!

No, not yet, but I will place my order for it soon.
Just waiting for the release of Dudamel's 5th, and then I shall obtain a copy of Klemperer's Lied. Additionally I want to give Barenboim's 7th and Lenny's 3rd a try. The third symphony is becoming more and more a necessary symphony for me.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #3,183 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not yet, but I will place my order for it soon.
Just waiting for the release of Dudamel's 5th, and then I shall obtain a copy of Klemperer's Lied. Additionally I want to give Barenboim's 7th and Lenny's 3rd a try. The third symphony is becoming more and more a necessary symphony for me.

I can strongly recommend the Barenboim M7; it is a fabulous recording. The sound of the orchestra is very unique and they play the hell out of the piece. Barenboim can be inconsistent as a conductor, but this one is a hit.

Lenny's M3s are definitive. Which one are you going to try, the 60s or 80s NYPO?

I'm really not fired up about this new Dudamel M5 coming out. I've listened to a few of the sound samples, and judging by some of his other concerts I've heard, it doesn't sound like he's quite ready for Mahler. But, that's just me. My top M5s are Chailly, Bernstein/VPO and Barshai. Not always a big Solti fan, but I am intrigued by the new release on Decca of his final concert with the Zurich Tonhalle in M5.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #3,184 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundsGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can strongly recommend the Barenboim M7; it is a fabulous recording. The sound of the orchestra is very unique and they play the hell out of the piece. Barenboim can be inconsistent as a conductor, but this one is a hit.

Lenny's M3s are definitive. Which one are you going to try, the 60s or 80s NYPO?

I'm really not fired up about this new Dudamel M5 coming out. I've listened to a few of the sound samples, and judging by some of his other concerts I've heard, it doesn't sound like he's quite ready for Mahler. But, that's just me. My top M5s are Chailly, Bernstein/VPO and Barshai. Not always a big Solti fan, but I am intrigued by the new release on Decca of his final concert with the Zurich Tonhalle in M5.

I am going for the Bernstein performance of the 3rd on Sony.
I have the 1st and the sound is really nice.
I guess the reason why I am excited for the Dudamel release is because in 2 years he shall be the principal conductor of the L.A. Philharmonic.
My favorite recording of the 5th has to be Chailly with the Concertogebouw on DECCA. I have Bernstein with the NYPO and the tempo is too slow for me, while Solti with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is a bit too fast. Though I like it, at times it seems as if he is about to pass out, hence the fast tempos. I need to get my hands on the Bernstein/VPO.
I am also in the market for another 9th.
I have Abbado (DG), Bertini (EMI), Karajan (DG) and Bernstein (DG) with the Berliner. I am leaning towards Chally with the Concertogebouw.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #3,185 of 3,718
After a break from Mahler, I finally got around to listening to a bit more of Tennstedt's cycle, specifically the 7th. Despite occasional weakness in the horns, it's a fine, felt version. On comparison with Bernstein/Sony, I preferred Tennstedt - Bernstein plays the hell out of the work but Tennstedt goes further into it. BTW, I'm still not that familiar with this work, so this is the first time I really noticed the Mozart references in the finale - Tennstedt infuses these moments with humour and joy. I agree with whoever it was who said this symphony is really meant to be a delight.

(Am I the only one who'll confess to feeling wicked glee each time I hear the "Star Trek" fanfare in the first movement?
wink.gif
)

EDIT: By Mozart references, I mean noisy passages which resemble the overture from 'Il Seraglio', maybe not exactly, but certainly resembling Mozart's "Turkish" music. There also seems to me to be a brief reference to 'Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman' (AKA 'Twinkle little star') on which Mozart wrote variations for piano.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #3,187 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Am I the only one who'll confess to feeling wicked glee each time I hear the "Star Trek" fanfare in the first moment?
wink.gif
)

Wow. Almost 20 years and I don't think I ever made the connection.

Mahler is everywhere.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #3,188 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Almost 20 years and I don't think I ever made the connection.

Hope I haven't ruined it for you
biggrin.gif

I think Alexander Courage must have quoted M7 deliberately, as the instrumentation is also quite similar.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #3,189 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope I haven't ruined it for you
biggrin.gif

I think Alexander Courage must have quoted M7 deliberately, as the instrumentation is also quite similar.

Have you heard the Disney song "Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast? To me it sounds lifted right from the 1st movement of the 3rd.

"be our guest, be our guest" - yea, the intervals totally fit.

-jar

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #3,192 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Yes Mahler is constantly ripped off in the Movie world..........."

John Williams has made a career adapting Mahler, Strauss, Hovaness & others into his "original" compositions.

- augustwest

don't forget Stravinsky... Star Wars.. C3PO in the desert.. Rite of Spring, beginning of part 2... pretty blatant..

I know that soundtracks are composed to compliment a movie, but sometimes I'm watching a movie and I think.. wow, some Mahler would be perfect here. I wouldn't mind hearing more Mahler (or Bruckner, or Shostokovich, or R. Strauss.. etc.) in movies. If it was done the right way.

-jar

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #3,193 of 3,718
Just got back from a borders store and they had the Karajan 5th of Mahler. I got it for exactly $3.51 new! Gotta love the rewards and bonus.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #3,194 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got back from a borders store and they had the Karajan 5th of Mahler. I got it for exactly $3.51 new! Gotta love the rewards and bonus.
biggrin.gif

Excellent Score!

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #3,195 of 3,718
I'd never heard the Reiner performance of Das Lied until I bought the SACD (which is a hybrid, containing two- and three-channel SACD versions as well as red book CD). The sound is phenomenally clear, yet atmospheric. I heard all kinds of woodwind lines that usually get covered by strings/brass/voice. It was easy to see why many view the orchestration as chambermusic-like, and the CSO played the hell out of the piece. Reiner's is not the most overtly emotional performance (cf. Bernstein/Vienna), but there is plenty of feeling and sensitivity in his reading. The singers are also excellent, although you can hear that Richard Lewis didn't have a large enough voice to do justice to this music (well, neither did Wunderlich, but who cares?). This is one of the best-sounding Licing Stereo SACD reissues. It goes near the top of my list of performances for this piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back