Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Aug 15, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #1,456 of 3,718
If you love M6, you simply have to hear the new Abbado/Berlin recording that just came out. Today I sat through it twice, and it's a stunner. Extraordinary live performance. Even if you know the work, you will be dazzled. It comes as an SACD two-fer, the sound it excellent (much improved over M7). The only drawback (for me) is that the Scherzo is placed 3rd, and since each disk has two movements, programming so the Scherzo is 2nd is not possible. Nonetheless, this is a truly momentous recording. I have to say, that it is now the top of the heap for me, displacing Barbirolli and Bernstein.

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #1,457 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
If you love M6, you simply have to hear the new Abbado/Berlin recording that just came out. Today I sat through it twice, and it's a stunner. Extraordinary live performance. Even if you know the work, you will be dazzled. It comes as an SACD two-fer, the sound it excellent (much improved over M7). The only drawback (for me) is that the Scherzo is placed 3rd, and since each disk has two movements, programming so the Scherzo is 2nd is not possible. Nonetheless, this is a truly momentous recording. I have to say, that it is now the top of the heap for me, displacing Barbirolli and Bernstein.

I suspect yourmusic.com will carry this since they had last 2-3 Abbado Mahler releases.......the fact that it is 2CD version has me a little cautious about long run time since my current fav 6ths are all 1CD versions, but will pick copy up when time/price is right.
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #1,458 of 3,718
Actually, the playing time is short enough to fit on one cd, but a hybrid SACD can't hold as much, or something like that, so they put it on 2 cds. I got mine mail order from London.
Apparently the standard cd and the SACD only versions are on one disk in the USA.
The total timing is 79 minutes.

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #1,459 of 3,718
I can vouch for the Abbado M6. Despite DGG's sensationalist packaging, it shows that Abbado hasn't lost his touch. The Berliners play well, and it has the energy and tension of a live recording (and the sonic concerns).

I am not the biggest fan of the M6, preferring the M3 (but the M2 overall), but this a rather excellent recording.

Aug 16, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #1,460 of 3,718
Quote:

Actually, the playing time is short enough to fit on one cd, but a hybrid SACD can't hold as much, or something like that, so they put it on 2 cds. I got mine mail order from London.
Apparently the standard cd and the SACD only versions are on one disk in the USA.
The total timing is 79 minutes.

Now I am more interested.........just checked and you are correct the CD version is actually sold as 1 disc which means great price at yourmusic.com "if" they carry it. One way or another it will be mine eventually.
k1000smile.gif

I really enjoy Abbado's recent 9th, his recent 7th is pretty good but he has done better as in the older CSO/DG version. His recent live 2nd CD version was nothing special and just average in my book.

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #1,461 of 3,718
I decided to stop messing around and ordered the 1938 Walter/VPO 9th, at 73 minutes probably fastest performance recorded........compare this to several recent 88-90 minute 9ths which seems to be the "trend" now.

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #1,462 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I decided to stop messing around and ordered the 1938 Walter/VPO 9th, at 73 minutes probably fastest performance recorded........compare this to several recent 88-90 minute 9ths which seems to be the "trend" now.

We expect a full report!
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #1,463 of 3,718
Anyone here familair with Haitink's Mahler? He's playing the M6 with the BSO this coming season, will probably go see it (and actually the show the previous week as well).

Aug 23, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #1,464 of 3,718
Haitinck is actually supposed to be a very good interpreter of Mahler. I don't own any of his recordings, so this is strictly "hearsay." His incomplete cycle (no M8) with the Concertgebouw received a 9/8 from Classicstoday.

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #1,465 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Anyone here familair with Haitink's Mahler? He's playing the M6 with the BSO this coming season, will probably go see it (and actually the show the previous week as well).

His 6th is excellent, and his 9th and DLvdE are among the absolute best.

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #1,466 of 3,718
I bought Haitink's first Mahler cycle on LP in the 1970s. It's all very nice. Well played, well recorded, very precise. But, it's also too nice. Haitink smooths over things, holds back on the bombast, reigns in the really harrowing parts. For some people, I think Haitink is probably fine. But I think Mahler needs more extrovert performances. More extremes of dynamics, tempi ,etc. The 6th he did with Berlin was better, but still behind others, who just put more emotional energy into it. He's too reserved and cool.
Now, I haven't heard the new live recordings, so I guess I'll have to try them out since you give them a good recommendation. Is it possible that Haitink has loosened up in his old age?

Aug 24, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #1,467 of 3,718
Quote:

Now, I haven't heard the new live recordings, so I guess I'll have to try them out since you give them a good recommendation. Is it possible that Haitink has loosened up in his old age?

What new live recordings are these?

Aug 25, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #1,469 of 3,718
DA had mentioned the Ancerl M9 previously, well ArkivMusic has the entire Andcerl Edition line on sale right now:

Ancerl Edition Sale

Sale ends the 31st

Scott

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #1,470 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
DA had mentioned the Ancerl M9 previously, well ArkivMusic has the entire Andcerl Edition line on sale right now:

Ancerl Edition Sale

Sale ends the 31st

Scott

Scott,

The Ancerl M9 is really one of the great ones and if you don't already have it, you should take advantage of the sale to get it.

Bunny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back