Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jul 27, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #1,381 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
So, I'd better shelve the 2000 word essay declaring Abbado the king of the 5th, followed only by Barbirolli (missing brass and all), then. I don't know...someone has to be an incurable Mahler heretic.
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Missing brass in the Barbirolli? Not in the EMI/Philharmonia recording. That recording is nearly flawless. Very careful attention to the markings in the score. The recording is so good you can hear Barbirolli's usual humming along with the music, and you can hear a lot of traffic noise in the background (with careful headphone listening).

Now, there's a huge error in the trombones in Bernstein 9/DG in the last movement, which could easily be fixed with a little post-production editing. And Inbal's 7 is marred also by an errant trombone section in the first movement. But Barbirolli is not plagued by any brass screw-ups: I checked using the Peter's Edition revised score of 1964. Mahler 5 doesn't get much better than this. Barbirolli was such a great Mahler conductor, it's a great tragedy that he didn't get to record more in the studio before he died. Guess we have to be happy with what live recordings we have.

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #1,382 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
Missing brass in the Barbirolli? Not in the EMI/Philharmonia recording. That recording is nearly flawless. Very careful attention to the markings in the score. The recording is so good you can hear Barbirolli's usual humming along with the music, and you can hear a lot of traffic noise in the background (with careful headphone listening).

Now, there's a huge error in the trombones in Bernstein 9/DG in the last movement, which could easily be fixed with a little post-production editing. And Inbal's 7 is marred also by an errant trombone section in the first movement. But Barbirolli is not plagued by any brass screw-ups: I checked using the Peter's Edition revised score of 1964. Mahler 5 doesn't get much better than this. Barbirolli was such a great Mahler conductor, it's a great tragedy that he didn't get to record more in the studio before he died. Guess we have to be happy with what live recordings we have.

You might want to go back and check the LP out. This website details the story of the flub and the correction. This is from a source obviously very sympathetic to Sir John.

Barbirolli is also a touch too slow for my tastes. I don't know if he just takes more repeats than the more modern interpretations, but five minutes separate Abbado and Barenboim from Barbirolli (and Von Karajan's later but still roughly contemporary release). The Barbirolli is beautifully played though.

Jul 28, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #1,383 of 3,718
Quote:

Barbirolli is also a touch too slow for my tastes.

Me too. It's a joy to listen to Barbirolli's warmth and obvious love for the music, but I find the performance doesn't hold together well in the third and fifth movements because of the very slow pace. Sir John (in love) is so willing to stop and smell the roses, it seems like he might not bother to finish the piece. But I can understand why it is such a beloved recording. Still nice to hear, too, how Barbirolli springs the rhythms in the third movement to keep it from sounding ponderous. Compare it, for instance, with the square, inflexible rhythms of Barenboim in that movement.
eek.gif

Incidentally, I was lucky to have one of the CD issues that corrected the missing horn in the Barbirolli M5.

Jul 28, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #1,384 of 3,718
PSmith: Thank you so much for providing this information! I never heard the LP, only the CD and would never have known it. So---DG, let's go back and touch up Bernstein's M9 and get those trombones in!
Thanks again.

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #1,385 of 3,718
The Barbirolli M5 was the first Mahler recording I ever bought. I still have it and listen with great fondness. I'm not a very discriminating Mahlerite -- I'm too easily seduced by the music. Still, Barbirolli spoke and still speaks to me with a conviction and eloquence I would not relinquish. Whatever he was doing, I find it rather special.

BW

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #1,386 of 3,718
While Barbirolli is not my favorite interpreter of the 5th, he is miles ahead of Barenboim. It seems like Sir John took a very craftsmanlike approach to the score. Daniel merely decided that grim drive suits the first movement, so it has to suit the others. Right?
rolleyes.gif
Of course, I still like Barenboim more than Von Karajan. Sir John made a very endearing record, which I think Mahler would have liked very much.

Jul 28, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #1,387 of 3,718
Quote:

Barbirolli is also a touch too slow for my tastes.

Sir John conducted the Boston Symphony Orchestra in the first Mahler concert I ever went to! Talk about slow, he crawled at a snail's pace through the first two movements and didn't catch fire until the end which finally woke me up. I was so young at the time that I don't even remember which symphony it was, but as there was no singing and I know it wasn't the first, I can guess that it was either the 5th, 6th or 9th.

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #1,388 of 3,718
Anyone here familiar with the Charlers Adler recording of Mahler's 3rd?

Scott

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #1,390 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
No, but it would be interesting to hear. I think it was the first recording of the work.

Yes, I believe it was recorded in the early 50's, and was pretty much the only recording for quite some time. Was just curious.

Well, to celebrate my new job (I start Monday), I order myself the Barbirolli M5 GROTC. Think I may also order the Slatkin M2 SACD version.

Scott

Jul 29, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #1,392 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Yes, I believe it was recorded in the early 50's, and was pretty much the only recording for quite some time. Was just curious.

Well, to celebrate my new job (I start Monday), I order myself the Barbirolli M5 GROTC. Think I may also order the Slatkin M2 SACD version.

Scott

Nice. More money for Mahler CDs!

Jul 29, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #1,394 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Congratulations, Scott! Good luck in your new position.

If you decide to get it, let us know how it sounds.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Will do.

Jul 29, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #1,395 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Nice. More money for Mahler CDs!

Being (mostly) cold turkey the last few months hasn't been easy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back