Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Sep 3, 2003 at 11:47 AM Post #61 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson
My favorite Mahler #2 since I first heard it in the '70s: Klemperer, Philharmonia Chorus & Orchestra, EMI/Angel. Just got the remastered version w/ AbbeyRoadTech, the restoration work is amazingly well done, so much better than the old release.
Enjoy,
W

Yes, I had the old EMI cd and the new "ART" remastered EMI
Mahler 2 is a revalation...........plus Schwarzkopf vocals, plus entire symphony fits on 1 cd at mid price............this is essential to any Mahler collection.

I would like to hear the live EMI "Klemperer Legacy" version also of Mahler 2 .........some say it is even better than studio version.

B00000AF4T.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sep 9, 2003 at 11:53 AM Post #62 of 3,718
OK, just got my Karajan/DG Originals Mahler 5 & 6 CDs and for symphony 5 I have to say this has the best sound quality of any DG Originals remaster I have heard. Many in this series tend to be brightly lit but this is just fabulous in every respect, I am very happy with this.

The cover art is somewhat stupid (crude rainbow artwork) The performance of 5th seems to be of very high level but have just heard this for the first time so need some more exposure. Next up will be 6th which unfortunately sold as 2cd set which makes it somewhat expensive choice even at mid price level.

Interesting that as far as I know Karajan does not have a complete Mahler symphony set recorded...........only ones I have seen are Mahler 4,5,6,9

Sep 9, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #63 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
OK, just got my Karajan/DG Originals Mahler 5 & 6 CDs and for symphony 5 I have to say this has the best sound quality of any DG Originals remaster I have heard. Many in this series tend to be brightly lit but this is just fabulous in every respect, I am very happy with this.

The cover art is somewhat stupid (crude rainbow artwork) The performance of 5th seems to be of very high level but have just heard this for the first time so need some more exposure. Next up will be 6th which unfortunately sold as 2cd set which makes it somewhat expensive choice even at mid price level.

Interesting that as far as I know Karajan does not have a complete Mahler symphony set recorded...........only ones I have seen are Mahler 4,5,6,9

I really like Karajan's Mahler 6. It rocks!!!

Sep 10, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #64 of 3,718
I've now listened to the remastered Klemperer Mahler 2. This is the best remastering job of an old recording that I've got in my collection (still just growing at around 500 cds total), plus great-sounding performances. Thanks to all who recommended it--it's a real winner.

Sep 10, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #65 of 3,718
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've now listened to the remastered Klemperer Mahler 2. This is the best remastering job of an old recording that I've got in my collection (still just growing at around 500 cds total), plus great-sounding performances
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, once you compare the two versions you realize how marvelous the remastering work was. I am glad that technology has helped to preserve such an outstanding performance.

DarkAngel mentioned a live "Klemperer Legacy" version, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Happy listening,
W

Sep 10, 2003 at 12:04 PM Post #67 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson
quote:
I've now listened to the remastered Klemperer Mahler 2. This is the best remastering job of an old recording that I've got in my collection (still just growing at around 500 cds total), plus great-sounding performances

Yes, once you compare the two versions you realize how marvelous the remastering work was. I am glad that technology has helped to preserve such an outstanding performance.

DarkAngel mentioned a live "Klemperer Legacy" version, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Happy listening,
W

I did in fact follow my own advice and purchased live "Klemperer Legacy" Mahler 2 to see how it compares to the wonderful studio version..........should arrive soon.

Also purchased used Solti/London/CSO complete Mahler set ($45) which was in pristine condition, last night heard symphonies 1 & 2 all I can say is OMG!

I have this same combo 1 & 2 on Decca Double CD but these are earlier versions with LSO vs CSO on complete set. The CSO versions are excellent with surprisingly good sound and robust, powerful, extrovert performances. These put the LSO versions quite in the shade for me, Solti just nails the CSO Mahler 2, this is one of best performances I have ever heard by Solti.

I am hearing all kinds of details now I never heard in other version of Mahler 2, the Chicago brass given great emphasis as usual under Solti (could be Wagner influences of Solti) and bass instruments dig deep with a dark undercurrent I have never heard in any other version. The final resurrection scence has tremendous build up and breathe taking climax, just amazing stuff. (Solti has a disappointing finale in LSO version that doesn't convey the glorious apocalyptic impact of CSO version)

Must hear rest of set, but am "very" impressed so far. Solti often criticzed by pros as missing the religious/introspective nuances of Mahler with his extrovert style.............what a bunch of crap! This is Mahler I really find moving and love the style (so far), who was the Mahler genius here who recommend this?
cool.gif

(major props must be extended to ODI for complete Solti set mention, and MasonJar gave mention of Solti CSO Mahler 1)

Sep 10, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #68 of 3,718
quote:
Calanctus, Wilson, Is this the album that you are referring to?

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 / Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra

Hello fractus, that is the one. Excellent value if you like the music.

And thanks again, DarkAngel, I do think that Solti working with CSO has recorded many impressive sounding work, one that came immediately to mind was his Dvorak Symphony #9.

This has been an enjoyable thread.

Cheers,
W

Sep 13, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #70 of 3,718
Mahler Update
Am working my way slowly through Solti/London/CSO complete set, will report more later........so far I am thrilled.

Also I have received the Klemperer/EMI "Klemperer Legacy" live version of Mahler 2 which I will check and compare to remastered studio version shortly...........is it better? (soon shall see)

Also picked up Levi/Telarc Mahler 2 & 4 becuase they were raved about at Classics Today and awarded the 10/10 rating (caution other symphonies in set not nearly as good)
I can report that Levi 4th has best sound quality of any I have ever heard and ranks highly, but Szell/Sony for instance is finer more exciting performance.
The best sound of any Mahler 2 I have heard currently belongs to Litton/Delos version.........we will soon see how Telarc Mahler 2 fares.

Sep 14, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #71 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Mahler Update
Also I have received the Klemperer/EMI "Klemperer Legacy" live version of Mahler 2 which I will check and compare to remastered studio version shortly...........is it better? (soon shall see)

Is the Live "Klemperer Legacy" Mahler 2 beter vs studio version?

The answer is no..............and that is a definite no.

This is not terrible but could see why it has been out of the catalog, the EMI "art" remaster is pretty good but you have balance and placement issues with the live outdoor recording. I suppose it may be a touch more intense, but the climatic closing is very underwhelming with organ bass notes almost nonexistent. Too many other great versions to bother with this, including the EMI studio remaster which leaves this quite in the shade.

Sep 14, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #73 of 3,718
Mahler 2nd Vienna Phil. cond Herman Scherken. the control of orchestral balance and illumination of inner detail is exemplary. I have never heard a more heavenly voice than Mimi Coertz
soprano in the last mov. This is a 1957 westminster LP reissued on compact disc and the sound altho a little lean on bass is very good.
the series of M. sym. on telarc have great sound DSD and also includes extra tutorial cd by Benjamin Zander.

I heard Bernstein do the 3rd in carnegie hall in commemoration of D. Mitropolus death and I have the same performance on Columbia LP so naturally I'm partial to this one. Sound is quite good.

Sep 15, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #74 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Arzela
How did Levine fare in your estimation?

I have never heard a Levine version of Mahler symphony and can't ever recall seeing a CD for sale......what does he have out?

Hey Robert,
How does the Zander/Telarc Mahler compare with the best available as far as performance?
I just got Levi/Telarc 2&4 and sound is great, 4th not my first choice for perfomance though, and 2nd yet to be heard.

Sep 15, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #75 of 3,718
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought Levi was a typo...
Don't know what I was thinking about....

Been inhaling too many solder fumes I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back