Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Dec 12, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #1,606 of 3,718
While waiting for the Chailly set to show up I picked up this set locally:

B000026AO8.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Haven't had a chance to listen to it as I'm on a Shostakovich kick lately (can't get enough of those 2nd rate symphonies).

Anyone else own or heard this set? Thoughts?

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #1,607 of 3,718
Tyson,

I am dying to have that set and my husband has promised it for Chanukah, so rats, I've got to wait until the night of Dec. 25.
frown.gif

I suspect that he has it stowed away somewhere but I'll never find it. Double RATS. Now, don't talk about it or I'll just go mad.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #1,608 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Tyson,

I am dying to have that set and my husband has promised it for Chanukah, so rats, I've got to wait until the night of Dec. 25.
frown.gif

I suspect that he has it stowed away somewhere but I'll never find it. Double RATS. Now, don't talk about it or I'll just go mad.
rolleyes.gif

Well need to have something to look forward to, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #1,609 of 3,718
Scott,

It seems that all I am doing is looking forward. He's away for a long business trip that has both of us miserable.
frown.gif

In January he has to travel again, but I will be going with him, so hopefully that Ipod video will be under the tree so that I can take 60gigs of music with me (which I am already ripping from my cds). I'd also love the nano, but that's meat for a different thread, heck, a different forum.

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #1,610 of 3,718
Quote:

Scott,

It seems that all I am doing is looking forward. He's away for a long business trip that has both of us miserable.
frown.gif

Ugh, that is difficult, especially this time of year.

Quote:

In January he has to travel again, but I will be going with him, so hopefully that Ipod video will be under the tree so that I can take 60gigs of music with me (which I am already ripping from my cds). I'd also love the nano, but that's meat for a different thread, heck, a different forum.

Well that is good news, hope your trip goes well!

I love my Nano, but as you said, food for another forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #1,612 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
While waiting for the Chailly set to show up I picked up this set locally:

B000026AO8.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Haven't had a chance to listen to it as I'm on a Shostakovich kick lately (can't get enough of those 2nd rate symphonies).

Anyone else own or heard this set? Thoughts?

Tyson,

The set is supposed to have Kubelik's legendary M7, probably the best recording of the symphony done by Kubelik or anyone if critics are to be believed. Also has a legendary M6 by Mitropoulos that is only available in this set.

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #1,613 of 3,718
I'm slowly making my way through both the NYPO Mahler Broadcast set, and the Chailly set (which showed up yesterday). So far the big suprise is the NYPO Mahler 2 with Mehta. I expected it to be a snoozer, but Mehta really nails it, much to my suprise. The Chailly 2 is a disappointment, just lacks the drama, fire, and swagger that this music should have. On a stronger note, the Chailly 9 is really good, incredibly beautiful and passionate. On the other hand, the NYPO Mahler 1 with Barberolli is a pretty dull and uninspired affair. The Chailly Mahler 8 is suprisingly good, better than Bernstein NYPO, but Abbado still trumps here, IMO.

Will keep repording as I hear more.

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #1,614 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
I'm slowly making my way through both the NYPO Mahler Broadcast set, and the Chailly set (which showed up yesterday). So far the big suprise is the NYPO Mahler 2 with Mehta. I expected it to be a snoozer, but Mehta really nails it, much to my suprise. The Chailly 2 is a disappointment, just lacks the drama, fire, and swagger that this music should have. On a stronger note, the Chailly 9 is really good, incredibly beautiful and passionate. On the other hand, the NYPO Mahler 1 with Barberolli is a pretty dull and uninspired affair. The Chailly Mahler 8 is suprisingly good, better than Bernstein NYPO, but Abbado still trumps here, IMO.

Will keep repording as I hear more.

No surprise about the Mehta. I have his EMI great performances M2 with the Vienna PO and that is also excellent.

As to the Chailly, I'm surprised you didn't already have it. I have it in SACD/hybrid and it is so unbelievably good -- a great reading of the symphony and sonically one of the best. It is almost like being there in surround sound.

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #1,616 of 3,718
Just now listening to the Mahler 6 with Mitropoulis - wow, pretty dang good. Very martial, intense, driven. Mahler played like Shostakovich. Outstanding.

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #1,618 of 3,718
Boulez' 3rd with the NYPO is good, but it does not move me. Technically very accomplished, but lacking in passion. Stokowski's 8th is mediocre, I won't be listening to it again. On the other hand, Tennstedt's rendition of the 5th is very good indeed, and in pretty good sound too.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #1,620 of 3,718
On Order:

*Mahler 4th Reinder CSO SACD

Scott

Recently Picked Up: Boulez Lieder...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back