Magni 3 Impressions
May 10, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,666 of 2,593
Glad you're loving the combo :) After over 40 years of being involved in hifi and gear, I'M staggered at how good these two are! The Mimby uses so little power that leaving it on is a good idea, I find there are subtle improvements after hours of being kept warmed up, compared to even an hour or more from switch on. A sense of greater ease and flow, more than specific details.

May 10, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #1,668 of 2,593
I recently got the Mimby and the Magni 3 to pair together as a secondary system being fed from my iMac. I'm actually staggered by how good these tiny things sound!

On the first day I tried with both my HD600 and HD650 cans and preferred the 650s. 24 hours later, after leaving both units on, the HD600s were definitely the best match to my ears. I assume the Mimby needed some more time to get up to speed?

Anyway, I now have the Eitr on order as I'm curious whether or not this stack can sound even better.

Leave both on and don't shut them off. (Especially the Mimby). I think after a week or two of use you'll like the combo even more, and that's even before you throw an EITR into the mix.

May 10, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,669 of 2,593
Leave both on and don't shut them off. (Especially the Mimby). I think after a week or two of use you'll like the combo even more, and that's even before you throw an EITR into the mix.
Agreed totally. They only use 13W between them, less than a salt lamp bulb/globe.

May 10, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #1,670 of 2,593
Yeah, I think an Eitr will be my next addition (that, and a Cthulu). Although, my USB seems rather clean...so I'm not sure how much improvement I will realize.

20180502_164721.jpg

May 10, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,671 of 2,593
Yeah, I think an Eitr will be my next addition (that, and a Cthulu). Although, my USB seems rather clean...so I'm not sure how much improvement I will realize.

Nice stack :)

May 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,672 of 2,593

Trust me - they aren't getting turned off. I always leave DACs and amps on.

May 11, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #1,673 of 2,593
Just got a Bifrost 4490 to replace my Modi 2 and...wow. I find it to be a much better match for the Magni 3. The Bifrost's higher output means I don't have to turn the volume up so high and I can really hear the power when I do increase the volume. Sometimes with the Modi 2 I'd have the volume at 12 o'clock and it still seemed like it wasn't loud enough with some classical tracks. Not an issue at all with the Bifrost.

May 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #1,674 of 2,593
Just got a Bifrost 4490 to replace my Modi 2 and...wow. I find it to be a much better match for the Magni 3. The Bifrost's higher output means I don't have to turn the volume up so high and I can really hear the power when I do increase the volume. Sometimes with the Modi 2 I'd have the volume at 12 o'clock and it still seemed like it wasn't loud enough with some classical tracks. Not an issue at all with the Bifrost.

Uhh Bitfrost got some horrible reviews compared to a much cheaper DAC, the Topping D30.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...d-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/

Conclusion
It is no secret that the previous Schiit products have not done well on my workbench. But I was hoping as suggested by many that their high-end products would do better. Alas, what is shown above is just unacceptable. It shows a product that simply has no design hygiene. Either wrong DACs are used or driven incorrectly in the implementation. There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

Yes I know the subjectivists go by what these devices "sound like." But I want one of them with a straight face tell me how their music is better where a spray of distortion and noise is added to any single tone in their music. How can any of this be euphonic???

I have no choice but to give the Schiit BiFrost Multibit a failing grade. NOT Recommended.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,675 of 2,593

The Modi Multibit's USB input is measurably inferior to its coax input so adding an Eitr will provide a good deal of performance improvement. And I say this from personal experience. I'm quite pleased with the improvement over the USB and TOSLINK inputs the Eitr delivers.

May 11, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #1,676 of 2,593
The Modi Multibit's USB input is measurably inferior to its coax input so adding an Eitr will provide a good deal of performance improvement. And I say this from personal experience. I'm quite pleased with the improvement over the USB and TOSLINK inputs the Eitr delivers.

Coolness. Thanks for that info! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

May 11, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,677 of 2,593
Uhh Bitfrost got some horrible reviews compared to a much cheaper DAC, the Topping D30.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...d-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/

Conclusion
It is no secret that the previous Schiit products have not done well on my workbench. But I was hoping as suggested by many that their high-end products would do better. Alas, what is shown above is just unacceptable. It shows a product that simply has no design hygiene. Either wrong DACs are used or driven incorrectly in the implementation. There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

Yes I know the subjectivists go by what these devices "sound like." But I want one of them with a straight face tell me how their music is better where a spray of distortion and noise is added to any single tone in their music. How can any of this be euphonic???

I have no choice but to give the Schiit BiFrost Multibit a failing grade. NOT Recommended.

Cool story.

I was only posting to say that I feel that the Bifrost 4490 (NOT the multi-bit version) has unleashed more of the Magni 3's potential in my opinion. That's all. Not trying to get into an argument about DACs.

May 12, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #1,678 of 2,593
Yes, I've noticed that too, using USB. I rarely do anyway, the optical output from the Questyle QP1R DAP is vastly better and utterly silent and the way I mostly listen to any music these days.

May 12, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #1,679 of 2,593
How does an Eitr help? If the data coming from the USB is off, how does sending that off data to the Eitr help when it is just taking that off data and converting it to coax output?

I built my PC and have a highly rated clean PSU, run it off a sine wave UPS and my Gigabyte MB has a dedicated USB for DAC use. When not playing music my Modi 2U/Magni 3 is dead silent to my ears. Not sure how a Eitr would help.

May 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,680 of 2,593
Strange; I read that Eitr is useless with the Mimby since it got it own power supply. To really hear a bit of noise with USB I have to chain my Vali 2 and Magni 3, turn both high gain on, then turn their volume knob a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back