Magnetic disturbance and the brain
Jul 20, 2001 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 9
actually, that article has nothing to do with magnetic interference with the brain.

Its about magnetic headphones interfering with MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scanners.

I don't the article would be very interesting to anyone not doing research on audiatory perception.

Jul 21, 2001 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 9
True, although it's interesting to note that the headphones used were modified Baby Orpheii (HEV60/70), combined with something called Bilsom ear defenders. Also, it's rather ingenious how they managed to make everything as non-electromagnetic as possible (running fiber for the audio signal [necessary since MRI machines use RF in high power], planning to use carbon fiber cabling...). The article isn't *that* dense, mbriant, although if you want a quick synopsis, then the article talks about headphones that are:
a) comfortable on the test subject
b) are nonmagnetic, and don't interfere with the MRI
c) can handle loud volumes (100+db)

and how everything was set up to do experiments to find out how the brain reacts to loud sounds.

Jul 21, 2001 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks Eric343....I guess I'm the "dense" one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2001 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 9
LOL, don't worry. My father is a radiologist so I've been exposed to this stuff all my life. Also, I seem to have a knack for reading this type of stuff
cool.gif

Jul 21, 2001 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 9
I guess, if you are really worried about magnetic disturbance you should rather avoid electric shavers than headphones...
smily_headphones1.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back