Magnesium lowered my tinnitus. :)
Oct 21, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 32
Just an update. I upped my dosage to 1000mg a day. (240%).
No adverse reactions so far and for the first time in pretty much forever, last night, w/o the computer on, AC running or anything, I didn't hear any ringing while I was trying to sleep at night. It was just a dull hiss.

But of course today I had to crank up my hd580's to rock out to some iron maiden...

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #17 of 32
Thanks for the tip. I’m hoping for some relief so started taking it 2 or 3 weeks ago. I haven’t taken much of any vitamins in a long time but after looking into magnesium it seems like it’s worth a shot.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...25,890,00.html

I’ll give it a solid 90 days before making a judgement but it looks like it should be beneficial even if it doesn’t help the Tinnitus.

Thanks

Mitch

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 32
I've got pretty bad tinnitus in my left ear myself, but I think it probably has more to do with me having two impacted lower wisdom teeth, left one having exploded above the gum line, and two fully grown out upper wisdom teeth that seriously causes some jaw pain when I smile alot during a day. One of these days I really need to get those things yanked, but I just dread the surgery, and I HATE needles.

I'm guessing these remedies are more for if you got tinnitus through high volume damage? I did try gingko once and it caused dizziness so I cut that out. Might be worth trying the magnesium, but it's probably not going to help my case. I'm pretty certain I didn't get my tinnitus from loud volumes, as I've always been a low level listener all my life.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 32
Currently, Mayo clinic is conducting an 11-month clinical trial regarding tinnitus and Magnesium levels. Looking forward to the findings. I've just begun taking Magnesium based on some positive reviews in tinnitus forums. So, I will follow along with the trial to see how I fare. Although the trial is using 532 mg daily, I'm using 30 mL Ionic liquid.

Not sure how the two compare. I believe 30mL roughly equates to the 400 mg because virtually all is absorbed by iconic liquid while very little is absorbed of capsules. Don't know how true this is because equating mL to mg is virtually impossible so I'm relying on the manufacturer's claims. Only way to tell is to try it.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #20 of 32
I've started taking magnesium oxide (400mg daily) for kidney stones so it's good to know the side benefit will help my tinnitus.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 32
Now, you guys just gave me a good reason to eat more and more chocolate 
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 32
I've had tinnitus for longer than I can remember but only in the past 3 years or so (since I found out about head-fi....) did it get really bad. I used to only hear this high pitched ringing at night when it was silent. Now I can hear it above the humming of my AC.
I can even hear it when I put on my senn HD580's to listen to classical music.

So I've been taking 700-800mg of magnesium everyday for about 2 months. The ringing is about 2/3rds of what it used to be.

I'm sure a LOT of you around here, esp. since you listen to so much music have my problem too, just thought you guys might wanna give it a try.

Don't know if you are still around but what type of magnesium were you using? Magnesium Oxide or Magnesium Citrate?

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #24 of 32
Wow talk about resurrecting a thread...

Anyway it's citrate.

I stopped taking it about a year ago, got lazy. But it's weird some ringing is gone but now it goes occasionally mute kinda like your ears popping on a plane.

Don't know if you are still around but what type of magnesium were you using? Magnesium Oxide or Magnesium Citrate?

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #25 of 32
Cool to see you still out here. I had bookmarked this thread for a long while but never got to adding to it.

So I take it the tinnitus is not a big issue for you anymore? Or has it never been?

Thanks for stopping by.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #26 of 32
Wow talk about resurrecting a thread...

Anyway it's citrate.

I stopped taking it about a year ago, got lazy. But it's weird some ringing is gone but now it goes occasionally mute kinda like your ears popping on a plane.

How are you doing these days?

I have been on 300mg Magnesium and now upping to 500mg daily.

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #28 of 32
The articles I have read link zinc and B12 deficiency as greater contributors to tinnitus than magnesium deficiency. This article also links vitamin A deficiency to tinnitus. They mention vitamin E as helping.

http://www.tinnitusreporter.com/stop-ear-ringing.html

A good inexpensive source of vitamin E, magnesium, and zinc is raw sunflower seeds.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=57

Most people in the US are deficient in magnesium though.When taking magnesium supplements, it is important to space them out over the day, and not take too much at once, otherwise it can cause diarrhea. Magnesium oxide is very poorly absorbed, so it should be avoided. Magnesium citrate is absorbed well, however it seems more likely to cause diarrhea than magnesium malate. I use magnesium malate as my magnesium supplement. The tablets I take have 133 mg of magnesium in each, and I take one 3x a day. i also eat plenty of nuts and seeds, which are high in magnesium.

"I am not aware of any studies directly linking low levels of magnesium to tinnitus, but nutrition testing conducted right before I had tinnitus showed I was deficient in magnesium as well as vitamin B12. Interestingly, in a number of studies, researchers have found that magnesium deficiency is linked to noise induced hearing lossand hearing loss from loud noises is often linked to ringing in the ears. As such, it would be logical to suspect that magnesium deficiency may play a role in tinnitus for some people."

http://www.ctds.info/tinnitus.html

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #29 of 32
Oh, yes!

#10: Dark Chocolate
Magnesium in 100g
1 Square (29g)
1 Cup Grated (132g)
327mg (82% DV)​
95mg (24% DV)​
432mg (108% DV)
 ​

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #30 of 32
  Oh, yes!

#10: Dark Chocolate
Magnesium in 100g
1 Square (29g)
1 Cup Grated (132g)
327mg (82% DV)​
95mg (24% DV)​
432mg (108% DV)
 ​

Your source seems to exaggerate. Look at this page. Only high quality dark chocolate(70% cacoa or higher) has decent amounts of magnesium.
One of the highest concentrations of magnesium in foods is in pumpkin seeds.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/10638/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3066/2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back