Magical trick on making music sound better: Clean your ears like a pro!
Jun 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19
Hey fellow music enthusiasts and headphone addicts, I'm here to share some advice on ear cleaning like a pro! The most important tool in your system as 99% of the experts out there say is your source material. That may be true, but what about your ears?! As an avid music listener, I'm a bit paranoid of my hearing and protecting it. I only clean my ears' surface with cotton swabs, but there's no way those go in my canal.

So I've got something that's not so secret to share, but most of you out there probably don't know about it (I don't mean to generalize!). My friends, go out and buy yourself some hydrogen peroxide (~3% concentration) if you don't have any at home!

Here's what I do, and it's quite simple. Rest on your side with your head horizontal to the surface (a pillow is handy), and have some toilet paper/kleenex in arms distance. Once that's done, you simply pour a small amount of the liquid inside the cap, and then that into your ear. Don't panic if it feels weird, tickles, itches or makes you feel dizzy; it's normal and you must be able to resist! Let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes (I usually get restless and end up stopping at 15 mins 
tongue.gif
), and then cover your ear with the tissue and turn your head the other way to drain your ear. You can do this over the sink for the bulk of the peroxide, and then just lay on your side for 5 minutes, with the tissue still at your ear, to drain the remainder. Now that one ear's done, onto the next; you know the drill!

You may be astonished by what you find in your tissue the first time you do this. Some people find very old and broken up ear wax, that was lodged way down there in the canal. You may even unlock that extra 1 khz boundary you thought you'd never hear again after the cleaning (sorry my older gents 
redface.gif
). I can assure you that this is more beneficial than upgrading from a copper cable to a silver cable, or changing earpads/ eartips in some cases.

Go ahead, try it. It's intense, it's fun... And most of all, it's nothing but good for your ears and your conscience! 

Happy listening 
beerchug.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 21, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm not a doctor, so I can't really comment on whether you should put hydrogen peroxide into your ears at all, but whatever you do, do NOT use the concentrated 30% hydrogen peroxide. (H2O2 usually comes in 3% and 30% solutions, the concentrated one is certainly not meant to be put anywhere inside your body.)

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 19
I did Google it and the MYTH is confirmed lol, (I'm a Myth Busters fan)

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 19
What concentration did you use?
As stated above, Hydrogen peroxide will eat your ears out if it's concentrated. They'll be clean, that's true, but there won't be anything left to hear with.

I have some lens fluid, will that do the trick? And at school I can get prety much any chemical at any concentration, what else is advised? Or should I just go with olive oil/sunflower oil?

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 19
If you want something more delicate, you can use mineral oil. As for the peroxide, yes I use 3% and I can't imagine the damage that could be done with a non-diluted formula. Should of been clear on that!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 19
Um, I would probably just get a swim ear kit or earwax remover, Carbamide Peroxide by Murine works very well and, shock
eek.gif
, it is made for the purpose.  just sayin'
blink.gif

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 19
Just proposing this as an easy and cheap solution under 5$! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #8 of 19
I used to do something similar when I swum cometatively in college , but that was to avoid ear infections. Looks like new  use for me!

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 19

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 19
Maybe just a bit :)

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 19
Yeah, I've been doing this for a while.  I use a drinking straw, dip it maybe an inch into the peroxide, cover the end with my finger, look in the mirror, tilt my head and place the straw in my ear and take my finger off.  I also hold onto the counter because I have felt unbalanced once, and then with my head still tilted I go lay down for five minutes or so then make my way back to the bathroom sink and dump it, then wipe it dry.

The sound it makes when it first goes deep in my ear is cool.  Then I get to listen to little bubbles.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Yeah, I've been doing this for a while.  I use a drinking straw, dip it maybe an inch into the peroxide, cover the end with my finger, look in the mirror, tilt my head and place the straw in my ear and take my finger off.  I also hold onto the counter because I have felt unbalanced once, and then with my head still tilted I go lay down for five minutes or so then make my way back to the bathroom sink and dump it, then wipe it dry.

The sound it makes when it first goes deep in my ear is cool.  Then I get to listen to little bubbles.

LOL~! I thought i was the only one who like that sound. I often thought that I would love some electronic artist reproduce that in a track. Anyway, getting off topic. Sorry. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 19
You can also use warm water to bring the solution closer to your body temperature if you find it to uncomfortable. It helps to be aware that too much stimulation of the canal increases wax production and can cause some pretty severe clogs. Also, it may help to know that most drug stores stock their ear-care products next to the eye drops.

Then I get to listen to little bubbles.

It's like pop-rocks for your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back