Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #17,626 of 48,578
yes sir, but it made things difficult for me to decide :D

Lol! Well, you know the head-fi saying: "Sorry about your wallet!" If it helps any, the LPs are definitely colored, and definitely on the "fun" side of the competitive—all-rounder—fun spectrum. The M-100 is closer to "all-rounder," and will still give you an advantage over speakers, but it costs more and with stock pads the comfort doesn't compare with the open headphones we like.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #17,627 of 48,578
The sound recording work on BF4 has resulted in incredibly realistic and immersive game sounds. They are absolutely superior to BF3. However, I feel like directionality/positioning is basically the same as BF3 (although footsteps are more pronounced in Bf4). I think it's very good in both games. I don't remember how good positioning was in BC2, it's been a while.

BF3 sound is bugged for me... Some times footsteps on your back are completely CUT which suck.

Bf3 sound effects are good, but I still don't like how it sounds. Way too artificial. Everything has some kind of reverbs everywhere (real life doesn't sound like that at all, it sounds a lot more clear).

All those extra effects give you a headache
tongue.gif

Keep Cool

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #17,628 of 48,578
Lol! Well, you know the head-fi saying: "Sorry about your wallet!" If it helps any, the LPs are definitely colored, and definitely on the "fun" side of the competitive—all-rounder—fun spectrum. The M-100 is closer to "all-rounder," and will still give you an advantage over speakers, but it costs more and with stock pads the comfort doesn't compare with the open headphones we like.

everyone seems to stick with open headphones ya, I guess I'll stick with the HD558+mic even tho the LPs are pretty tempting, but over all the HD558 wins in every aspect as I have been told, bigger sound stage for gaming, and as I have been informed the sound quality doesn't even compare.

I have been meaning to ask you about the sound leak in open headphones, how bad is it ? if I crank up the volume is it really loud, I don't want to wake up my bro :D hes in a different room tho.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #17,629 of 48,578
  everyone seems to stick with open headphones ya, I guess I'll stick with the HD558+mic even tho the LPs are pretty tempting, but over all the HD558 wins in every aspect as I have been told, bigger sound stage for gaming, and as I have been informed the sound quality doesn't even compare.

I have been meaning to ask you about the sound leak in open headphones, how bad is it ? if I crank up the volume is it really loud, I don't want to wake up my bro :D hes in a different room tho.

No, it certainly won't wake up someone in a different room.
Of course it depends on the isolation of the house/flat.
If you have glassy doors or thin walls then he might hear it but it is certainly not loud.

I personally don't understand the take on closed headphones around here.
There are very good open headphones and very good closed headphones.
It is just that MLE hates pleather and leather and most closed backs come with that, hence his preference for opens.

I don't really find the difference nowhere near as big as people makes it around here, much like with anything.
I think the difference between open X closed is smaller in comparison to the Sennheiser vs Audio Technica house sound/signature for example.
I like both and I certainly can't say open ALWAYS sounds better than closed. I've heard some closed that outperformed opens but that is just my opinion.

Anyway, buy what you will. Decide by signature rather than open/close [if you necessary don't need one or the other].
I am going with closed this time around [ATH-A900X] due to portability, which requires it. MLE doesn't really like this particular can, but that is not a reason to discredit the overwhelmingly positive response these received,

MLE [again, I am using him just as an example] is a very informed person and knows a lot but he, much like you a me has a preference for X headphone over Y headphone so everything one says is obviously totally subjective.
I always try to get opinions form more head-fiers to help me decide, rather than relying on just one opinion.

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #17,631 of 48,578
That's my opinion too. I like leather.

I don't like much all the other materials which get all dirty and at some point it's impossible to clean them to look like new.

And I prefer closed headphones A LOT. Just by wearing them it feels different, and they get a lot more imersive since I can't hear my PC fans, Xbox360 loud fans I have, mouse clicks...
Keep Cool

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #17,632 of 48,578
I feel even from the BF4 demo, there was better positional audio and sound quality in general compared to BF3.  Not the best I've heard, but definitely an improvement.  Excited to see how the full release fares...got it pre-installed and ready to go! 
cool.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #17,633 of 48,578

My opinion on sound leak?? Well, it's kinda hard to tell, my mom is a little hard of hearing, so she totally sleeps through me chatting with my buddies while playing CoD late at night (though heaven forbid I turn on my light and it shines through my cracked door around the hallway and through the crack under her door... SHE WAKES!!!), and I done have nearby friends who listen to music around me.

I think, in the end, it depends on how sensitive/bothered another person is with sound. In the silence of the night, I have to turn off my monitor (even though it's in sleep mode) because the LED makes a faint but high-pitched eeeeeeeeei that keeps me awake (I kinda have insomnia anyway) and my friend's phone vibrating in the nextdoor dormroom (when I was in college) would wake me up, but a lot of people sleep with the TV on. Does your house have insulation and double layer walls, or do you have those single layer drywalls? Most cases, in the same room as open headphones others could hear a whisper from your headphones, and the leakage doesn't have the energy to pass through walls. If you listen at deafening levels, however...

If I get a moment to myself (not now, gotta sleep), I'll post a new YouTube vid comparing my closed V-MODA (IMO the LP and M-100 isolate the same, judging from making my friends listen) vs my open K712. Maybe also my Apple EarPods for a baseline, and also my IEMs for quietest-case scenario.

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #17,634 of 48,578
My opinion on sound leak?? Well, it's kinda hard to tell, my mom is a little hard of hearing, so she totally sleeps through me chatting with my buddies while playing CoD late at night (though heaven forbid I turn on my light and it shines through my cracked door around the hallway and through the crack under her door... SHE WAKES!!!), and I done have nearby friends who listen to music around me.

I think, in the end, it depends on how sensitive/bothered another person is with sound. In the silence of the night, I have to turn off my monitor (even though it's in sleep mode) because the LED makes a faint but high-pitched eeeeeeeeei that keeps me awake (I kinda have insomnia anyway) and my friend's phone vibrating in the nextdoor dormroom (when I was in college) would wake me up, but a lot of people sleep with the TV on. Does your house have insulation and double layer walls, or do you have those single layer drywalls? Most cases, in the same room as open headphones others could hear a whisper from your headphones, and the leakage doesn't have the energy to pass through walls. If you listen at deafening levels, however...

If I get a moment to myself (not now, gotta sleep), I'll post a new YouTube vid comparing my closed V-MODA (IMO the LP and M-100 isolate the same, judging from making my friends listen) vs my open K712. Maybe also my Apple EarPods for a baseline, and also my IEMs for quietest-case scenario.

That would be really helpful :) Thanks a million for your help.
Also the walls are pretty thick, concrete, but I do believe the sound leaks from the door, and did I mention that I am using the apple earpods that wake up my brother sometimes :D

That's my opinion too. I like leather.

I don't like much all the other materials which get all dirty and at some point it's impossible to clean them to look like new.

And I prefer closed headphones A LOT. Just by wearing them it feels different, and they get a lot more imersive since I can't hear my PC fans, Xbox360 loud fans I have, mouse clicks...
Keep Cool

as conquerator2 said I guess its also a matter of opinion, but the with leather/pleather is that they cause my ears to heat up and sweat after a while, but that's just me I guess, but lemme ask with an open headphones you can hear the mouse clicks ? I thought the outside noise had to be pretty loud to hear it.

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #17,635 of 48,578
I prefer open vs closed, because open has a more dimensional, more natural sound, with less to no resonances. Closed headphones collapse the soundstage and makes things sound literally walled in, resonant, and artificial. There is a reason the vast majority of flagship headphones are open. Open headphones are superior is basically every way other than maintaining the deepest levels of bass, which is now a non-issue for planarmagnetics like the HE400 and LCD2...

Closed headphones only use for me are in that they control noise. That's it. Since I don't need noise control, they're entirely useless for me. Even at work, I don't need to control noise.

Owned the Pro 900 which had velours, so it's not like it's impossible to find closed headphones with velours.

Now with the Shure SRH1540, comes another viable higher end closed headphone that isn't limited to sticky as all hell pleather and leather. Interested in hearing it, as the tonal balance sounds like it'd suit my tastes perfectly, though I have zero real world use for it.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #17,636 of 48,578

Also the walls are pretty thick, concrete, but I do believe the sound leaks from the door, and did I mention that I am using the apple earpods that wake up my brother sometimes :D

as conquerator2 said I guess its also a matter of opinion, but the with leather/pleather is that they cause my ears to heat up and sweat after a while, but that's just me I guess, but lemme ask with an open headphones you can hear the mouse clicks ? I thought the outside noise had to be pretty loud to hear it.

Well, in all open headphones I have\had I can hear everything from the exterior while gaming and the game gets quite less imersive, ruins it (I don't ever listen at full volume).

I can definitely hear dogs outside, people talking, fans, mouse clicks and keyboard key pressing... (specially the constant fan sound from my xbox360 annoys me a lot, and yeah, it's modded and makes a hell of a noise).

I also sweat a lot, but open ones with fabric also make me sweat a lot, and after the cushions get dirty\smelly what can I do with them? (put in garbage?).

And then, in my MP3 I have the sennheiser CX-300 precision II. The MP3 is very low quality and not loud enough for most people. However with those in-hear headphones I listen at only 1 measure of volume and it's pretty enough for me (and volume has 30 bars, and I only use 1 bar of the 30 full volume which is incredible).

They are lot more efficient and cut exterior noises, so I don't need high volumes. 1 volume bar = ~6 volume bars of my brother's normal hear-phones from sennheiser too.

ps: Headphones are different than in-hear headphones. But they also share the feature that you don't need high volumes to kill exterior side, and it's just you + your headphones in your "own world", I just love that, but sadly nowadays I don't own any closed ones, but in the 90's I had some crazy ones from sennheisr aviation if i'm not mistaken, with two plugs (separated amplification for each side).
Keep Cool

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #17,637 of 48,578

Open headphones offer the least isolation. I have a pair of open cans and I can literally hear everything when there is no music playing. When there is, you shouldn't be able to hear much, but you still can hear some noises, depending on their intensity.
Bottom line is that you want to have silence around you mostly, when you listen through open headphones as the isolation really is little to none. Night and day compared with IEMs/Closed.

Sound leakage depends on how loud you listen. When you crank it up noticeably, they can easily sound like little speakers turned down a bit. So, they can generate quite some noise. All I know is that it can be heard through twos sets of doors [one wooden, one glass/wood] when I crank them up but it depends on the hearing and one's sleep deepness.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #17,638 of 48,578
Yeah. The crap Turtle Beach X12 I have (use them only for xbox and makes me pissed with their poor quality, sound like sound comes from inside a metal can and has lot of static noise from it's amp and worse it makes huge distortions even on low volumes when there's too much frequencies).

On full volume they are actually almost as loud as my brother's laptop in the other room (he can hear them well).

It doesn't matter much if you are wearing them or not, because it's loud for the exterior on both cases (just a little bit louder if not wearing them).

I used a lot my Creative headphones as a speaker
biggrin.gif
. And it was so damn loud 2 meters away from it (off course, a lot loud for what they are, not really loud like a 1000w speaker killing your hear and punching your face
bigsmile_face.gif
).
Keep Cool

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #17,639 of 48,578
*can act like speakers on low volume" well, this doesn't sound too promising :/ 

they can generate quite some noise. All I know is that it can be heard through twos sets of doors

well **** son, and I am only gonna use the headphones at night when everyone is asleep since I cant use my speakers obviously, I guess I am have to make a sacrifice here and go for closed cans.

Also again thank you everyone for your lovely feedback :) quite informative.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #17,640 of 48,578
  *can act like speakers on low volume" well, this doesn't sound too promising :/ 

well **** son, and I am only gonna use the headphones at night when everyone is asleep since I cant use my speakers obviously, I guess I am have to make a sacrifice here and go for closed cans.

Also again thank you everyone for your lovely feedback :) quite informative.

Sacrifice? Hmph, more like a detour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back