Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #9,121 of 48,578
Quote:
Bah, the KSC75's clips are just not good for the KSC35. I mean it sounds good, but the point where the clips connect to the KSC35 allow too much freedom and distance for the drivers and pulls it away from the ear, losing bass. Ironically, the KSC35 clips make the KSC75 sound better than the stock clips. Still, the KSC75 sounds better than the KSC35 when compairing them both with the KSC75 rubber clips, and the KSC35 sounds better than the KSC75 when using the KSC35 clips. All in all, best to keep the KSC35 clips on both for sound quality, and using the KSC75 with it's stock clips for comfort.

I"m constantly bending my KSC 75 clips back so they push tighter against my ear and give better bass.  If you don't bend them they will naturally get bent farther and farther bent out from normal use.

I wish KOSS would would sell a pack of replacement clips the same way they sell packs of replacement pads > http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PORT-REPLACEMENT-CUSHIONS-Replacement/dp/B000O2KIMO

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #9,122 of 48,578
So much truth. Then I wouldn't feel bad about bending the clips.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #9,124 of 48,578
The ACOG on anything that wasn't a sniper rifle was horrible! So much recoil, and view obstruction. :frowning2:

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #9,125 of 48,578
Except for the scorpion, which has basically no recoil at all. It's a great weapon to mess around with.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #9,126 of 48,578
ACOG adds sway though. I find the RDS to do everything better than the ACOG other than zooming in. I didn't find one situation where I really needed the zoom on the ACOG. The maps aren't that big on CoD4.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #9,127 of 48,578
I get the strange feeling this thread is getting off-topic....

tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #9,129 of 48,578
I'm always down for reminiscing about CoD4. I put like 50 days of my life in to it. lol

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #9,130 of 48,578
I'm always down for reminiscing about CoD4. I put like 50 days of my life in to it. lol

I almost went up and played CoD4, but then I saw Halo 4 was already in the disc tray, and well......

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #9,131 of 48,578

Here are the pics MLE. Sorry for the crappy flash being on. Wow is my monitor stand dusty. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #9,132 of 48,578
First of all, thank you SO much for the thread. The amount of work you've put into this is incredible. I know my question is probably not unique but I attempted to search and keep coming up with 3+ year old threads.

I currently run a JVC RX900 with Zalman clip on. I'd like to move to something a little better for me. Currently the tips of my ears will begin to hurt after extended sessions as they press against the driver cover (I think that's the right name). I'm first looking for something that will be a little deeper in the earcup. Right now I'm leaning towards Q701 or DT990, however I don't know if either of them have deeper ears than the RX900?

I would like a headphone that will allow me to feel the "engine rumble" in movies like Star Trek or when playing something like Mass Effect. The positional accuracy it provides takes a close second. I'm roughly looking at a $500ish budget stretched over the next odd months. I don't mind going over if it's going to REALLY pay off however I don't really need music type phones since it's about 20% of my usage at the computer.

Thank you in advance.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #9,133 of 48,578
Quote:
First of all, thank you SO much for the thread. The amount of work you've put into this is incredible. I know my question is probably not unique but I attempted to search and keep coming up with 3+ year old threads.

I currently run a JVC RX900 with Zalman clip on. I'd like to move to something a little better for me. Currently the tips of my ears will begin to hurt after extended sessions as they press against the driver cover (I think that's the right name). I'm first looking for something that will be a little deeper in the earcup. Right now I'm leaning towards Q701 or DT990, however I don't know if either of them have deeper ears than the RX900?

I would like a headphone that will allow me to feel the "engine rumble" in movies like Star Trek or when playing something like Mass Effect. The positional accuracy it provides takes a close second. I'm roughly looking at a $500ish budget stretched over the next odd months. I don't mind going over if it's going to REALLY pay off however I don't really need music type phones since it's about 20% of my usage at the computer.

What are you currently using to drive your headphones?
(what are they plugged into?)

Headphone wise, DT990 or DT880.
In 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm.
The DT990 do have that "movie theater" like sound (full bass & full treble)
But the balance of the DT880 make them great for all around headphones.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #9,134 of 48,578
I am sure there are other options. The DT990pro sort of has that kind of bass. They are super comfortable and even if your ear does touch the driver it has a foam insert over the driver for extra comfort. You really want a movie theatre bass. So the DT770(closed) or DT990(open). Been reading about the Philips X1 it seems to have that sort of bass but is twice the price of the DTpro versions.
The Q701 isn't going to give you that sort of deep rumbling bass, it isn't designed for that though. It is closer to a sound whoring headphone.

You never mentioned if you have an amp of any sort. You might want to include that in your price.
The DT990 or Q701 are both a great place to start with your budget. I just don't think you will be really happy with the Q's unless mids and positional accuracy is an absolute must.

I will give you the advice I give everyone who asks about headphones make sure you get it from a place with a good return policy. It really can take multiple pairs in some cases to find that perfect sound signature. 
I am sure more will chime in and give you more options.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #9,135 of 48,578
The Beyers have shallow ear cups. That is one of the most complaints they get. I'd get something else. If you truly have a $500 for this, I truly recommend the HE400 plus an E17. Well, thats over budget. Ok then. He400 plus hifiman velour pads, and an E11? The HE400 sounds fantastic off anything, and has that low rumble you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back