Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #8,446 of 48,578
Crank the MixAmp as loud as you can before it hisses. How loud that'll be depends on how powerful the E7 is, what headphones you have, and how loud you like it.
Side note: the E7 isn't particularly powerful. Why are you using it with the MixAmp?

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #8,447 of 48,578
You basically max the Mixamp volume and control the volume with the second amp. If its clipping, you lower the Mixamp a little.

Edit: Didn't see Eric's post. Beat me to it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #8,448 of 48,578
Quote:
Side note: the E7 isn't particularly powerful. Why are you using it with the MixAmp?

Bass boost mostly.  The Mixamp's bass boost causes frequent audio crackling in certain games.  This can be fixed by lowering the in-game volume (at least in games that allow you to do so) but it can cause the game sound to be too low.  Since I frequently voice chat and have to balance the audio pretty heavily in that direction, I'd rather just use the E7 for bass and not have to worry about altering each game's volume settings and possibly having it end up too low.

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #8,449 of 48,578
Ah, ok. If its just for the bass boost, that will work. Otherwise, the E7 isn't gonna help in any other way.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #8,450 of 48,578
Quote:
Ah, ok. If its just for the bass boost, that will work. Otherwise, the E7 isn't gonna help in any other way.

Yeah, I'm happy with the current volume levels.  I just love how the Mixamp's bass boost makes the DT990s sound so fixing that crackle issue is pretty big for me.  Not gaming related, but like you said, the E7's DAC should also be a big improvement over my laptop's stock sound card for music.  

Thanks for the help.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #8,452 of 48,578
Quote:
The E7's amp is gonna struggle with that the same way the Mixamp is.
Testing the 600ohm with the E17, and it was definitely inferior to both the 32ohm and 250ohm. Its not until I hooked up the E09K where the 600ohm came to be where it needed to be.
The E17 is quite an improvement over the E7, and it still made the 600ohm sound choked. I just don't understand why people jump straight to the 600ohm without a good amp. O_o

I use 32ohm DT990s...

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #8,453 of 48,578
Thus making all my back and forth pointless. Excuse me, I'm running on empty here, and for some reason I thought you had the 600ohm. Seriously. The entire time, it was about 600ohm. Jesus. I feel stupid. I distinctly remember we talking about this a few days ago, yet forgot today. Sigh.

Disregard all that. You should be decent with the E7, though ironically, the 32ohm does scale up to sound almost like the 600ohm (IMHO) with a desktop amp. That makes them harder to drive to its potential than the 250ohm. The 32ohm does get loud a bit faster than the 250ohm though.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #8,454 of 48,578
Ok, so the Fiio D3 seems to have this really bad grain on certain songs that isn't there on the E17. I guess I didn't test them enough, and the soundbar didn't pick up such distortions.

When the Fiio D3 is behaving (the vast majority of the time), it sounds very close to the E17, being just SLIGHTLY warmer, and bassier than the E17's DAC (which is more neutral). All three DT990s sound bassy off it. I can definitely tell the E17 is a better DAC, even when the Fiio D3 is behaving.

I also tested the Fiio E17 undocked with the Fiio L7 line out dock. Sounded the same as when it's docked, which is a good thing, in case I return the E09K for something else, though I like the synergy between the E17 and E09K, and love that I don't have to touch the E17. I turn off the E09K, and the E17 turns off. I turn it on, and the same result. If I got another amp (thinking of getting the Asgard, for the .5 output impedance, and more power than the E09K), I'd have to deal with more cables/clutter. I like the E17/E09K's simplicity. We'll see.

I am almost certain that I'm keeping the 250ohm regardless. On my favorite chillstep tracks, the sub bass is actually more audible compared to the 32 and 600ohm (and the bass tickles my ears, where it doesn't do that on the 32/600). I'm still quite surprised at how fantastic the 32ohm is, and how close in SQ it is to the 600ohm. If it wasn't for my need for more bass, the other two are superior in balance. The 250ohm sounds more refined than the 32ohm, but the 32ohm sounds 'better' because it's less v shaped. The 600ohm is both refined and better sounding than the 250oh, if bass isn't the number 1 factor, and the one I'd go with every other time.

Now for some brief gaming. RE6 demo, gogogo.

Before I play, I must say I agree with Tyll at Innerfidelity about the 32ohm. They are meant to be driven by portable sources, but portable sources tend to SUCK. This makes the 32ohm Beyers kind of useless in that the purpose to get them was to use them on not GREAT equipment, and to make them sound as good as they truly are, you need to amp them as much as you would the 250ohm. It doesn't make sense really. This is why unless you absolutely need a part time unamped headphone (which isn't gonna sound anywhere near it's best without a proper setup), it's just better to get the 250ohm version ANYWAYS. They both need amping, the 250ohm sounds cleaner when amped, and it's safe from amps that have high output impedances.

NOW, if you happen to be too late and already own the 32ohm, worry not, they are amazing headphones. Just, you're gonna need to invest some money in them like the other two to make them sound almost nearly as good as the other two, and you do get that possiblity to use them unamped, as they can get loud enough, while the others may not.

Man, there is a clarity in the 600ohm that isn't just quite there on the 250ohm, and I may be willing to sacrifices those few points of bass for that 600ohm refinement. AGH. We'll see.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #8,455 of 48,578
Quote:
Ok, so the Fiio D3 seems to have this really bad grain on certain songs that isn't there on the E17. I guess I didn't test them enough, and the soundbar didn't pick up such distortions.
When the Fiio D3 is behaving (the vast majority of the time), it sounds very close to the E17, being just SLIGHTLY warmer, and bassier than the E17's DAC (which is more neutral). All three DT990s sound bassy off it. I can definitely tell the E17 is a better DAC, even when the Fiio D3 is behaving.
I also tested the Fiio E17 undocked with the Fiio L7 line out dock. Sounded the same as when it's docked, which is a good thing, in case I return the E09K for something else, though I like the synergy between the E17 and E09K, and love that I don't have to touch the E17. I turn off the E09K, and the E17 turns off. I turn it on, and the same result. If I got another amp (thinking of getting the Asgard, for the .5 output impedance, and more power than the E09K), I'd have to deal with more cables/clutter. I like the E17/E09K's simplicity. We'll see.
I am almost certain that I'm keeping the 250ohm regardless. On my favorite chillstep tracks, the sub bass is actually more audible compared to the 32 and 600ohm (and the bass tickles my ears, where it doesn't do that on the 32/600). I'm still quite surprised at how fantastic the 32ohm is, and how close in SQ it is to the 600ohm. If it wasn't for my need for more bass, the other two are superior in balance. The 250ohm sounds more refined than the 32ohm, but the 32ohm sounds 'better' because it's less v shaped. The 600ohm is both refined and better sounding than the 250oh, if bass isn't the number 1 factor, and the one I'd go with every other time.
Now for some brief gaming. RE6 demo, gogogo.
Before I play, I must say I agree with Tyll at Innerfidelity about the 32ohm. They are meant to be driven by portable sources, but portable sources tend to SUCK. This makes the 32ohm Beyers kind of useless in that the purpose to get them was to use them on not GREAT equipment, and to make them sound as good as they truly are, you need to amp them as much as you would the 250ohm. It doesn't make sense really. This is why unless you absolutely need a part time unamped headphone (which isn't gonna sound anywhere near it's best without a proper setup), it's just better to get the 250ohm version ANYWAYS. They both need amping, the 250ohm sounds cleaner when amped, and it's safe from amps that have high output impedances.
NOW, if you happen to be too late and already own the 32ohm, worry not, they are amazing headphones. Just, you're gonna need to invest some money in them like the other two to make them sound almost nearly as good as the other two, and you do get that possiblity to use them unamped, as they can get loud enough, while the others may not.
Man, there is a clarity in the 600ohm that isn't just quite there on the 250ohm, and I may be willing to sacrifices those few points of bass for that 600ohm refinement. AGH. We'll see.

Greatly appreciate your write up.  Funny that the 32 ohm model seems to need every bit as much amping as the 250 and like you, I was in disbelief when I read that elsewhere.  The 32 certainly gets to acceptable volume levels (mostly if it is cranked to max) on portable devices like laptops of smartphones, but you just get the sense that while the volume might be there, the sound quality being output isn't quite there.  I'm hoping that a quality amp will really open them up.

As for the comparison to the 250, I just got such a great deal on seemingly 'new' DT 990 32 ohm ($184 from Warehouse Deals) that I dont' know if spending the extra $70-80 to get similar condition, used 250 ohm cans will be worthwhile.  I'd love to have the extra refinement and/or soundstage, but I'm guessing that your trained ear is really parsing great to spectacular sound quality.  We will see how I feel when the E09K arrives tomorrow, but i'm guessing that I will be content enough to not spend the extra scratch on a noticeable, albeit minor improvement.  However, that is the name of the game at this point in the audio world.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #8,456 of 48,578
The SQ difference between the 32ohm and 250ohm out of the E09K is DEFINITELY not worth the extra $70-80. More like $10-$20.

Okay, so I gamed with the 600ohm and 250ohm being fed by the Mixamp->E09K.

Hmm... interesting. The 600ohm sounds every bit as bassy with Dolby Headphone. I guess the bass difference is mainly for stereo. One second I think I'm keeping the 250ohm, the next, my head says the 600ohm.

They both performed exactly the same for gaming. Same soundstage, directionality, etc. I'd test the 32ohm vs the 600ohm, but I already know it's gonna be a wash.

All three are great for Dolby headphone gaming. The end. Not even worth changing scores.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #8,457 of 48,578
Quote:
The SQ difference between the 32ohm and 250ohm out of the E09K is DEFINITELY not worth the extra $70-80. More like $10-$20.
Okay, so I gamed with the 600ohm and 250ohm being fed by the Mixamp->E09K.
Hmm... interesting. The 600ohm sounds every bit as bassy with Dolby Headphone. I guess the bass difference is mainly for stereo. One second I think I'm keeping the 250ohm, the next, my head says the 600ohm.
They both performed exactly the same for gaming. Same soundstage, directionality, etc. I'd test the 32ohm vs the 600ohm, but I already know it's gonna be a wash.
All three are great for Dolby headphone gaming. The end. Not even worth changing scores.

MLE, you're the hardest working user on this entire forum.  My excitement for the E09K is at a fever pitch thanks to all your detailed comparisons.  Will definitely report back when I've had some chance to break in all the equipment.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #8,458 of 48,578
I blame it on my self diagnosed OCD. I wouldn't be able to sleep without satisfying my curiosity. It literally drives me bat**** crazy. Sigh...

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #8,459 of 48,578
Quote:
I blame it on my self diagnosed OCD. I wouldn't be able to sleep without satisfying my curiosity. It literally drives me bat**** crazy. Sigh...

I'd venture a guess that many of us on here struggling to grasp the minutiae also could claim OCD, so I know the feeling.  I'm sure you'll be on to greener pastures soon enough, haha.

As for me, last time I went down this road for full-sized cans was in '04 with the HD555 - which I've used unamped ever since.  I'm really ready to move onto the next level with all this new gear and this thread has been an amazing resource.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #8,460 of 48,578
I literally can't decide between the 600ohm and 250ohm. It's gonna be a last minute decision, and one I bet I'll probably wanna take back. The 250ohm actually started sounding better when I switches the E09K to low gain. Made the sound just a little more refined for it. Because it made it closer than before, I'm leaning on the 250ohm due to the better bass.

Again... I say one thig, then go back and change my mind, but logically, the 250ohm is the one I think I should get.

Holy cow, they really DID stop selling the Mixamp alone here. The Mixamp sub section has been erased. What a ****** move, Astro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back