Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #5,251 of 48,579

Quote:
Anyone know of a way to add a bit more to the bottom without dropping the mids and highs? I did try adding my ZO2 between the mixamp and Q's but that killed the volume, using both high and low gain modes. Anyone done something similar?

The ZO2's amp must be pretty weak if turning up the mixamp and turning up the ZO2 on high gain still sounds quiet. 
confused.gif

The mixamp 5.8 and DSS (version 1) both have bass boost.  The mixamp's bass boost is a bit muddier...

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #5,252 of 48,579

Quote:
You're not alone. That's how I felt with the AD700. Horrible in comfort. Soft velours, sure, but everything else was a pain in the ass. I had the same exact issues.
As for adding low end without taking away... impossible. That's not how audio works. Lows, mids, highs work in unison. You can't emphasize one thing without taking away something else. Adding a bit of bass will more than likely recess the mids, and on rare occasion, make treble less crisp.

I don't think I said anything to the contrary?? I think I said I would not be at all surprised if the AD900 > HD 558 for clarity.

Are you saying the HD 558 is bass light compared to the AD900? I had assumed the opposite just based on the reviews.

Although, I have so little experience with this stuff any one of you audio buffs could baffle me with BS and I would simply believe you unless I heard for myself. LOL

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #5,253 of 48,579

Quote:
Quote:
You're not alone. That's how I felt with the AD700. Horrible in comfort. Soft velours, sure, but everything else was a pain in the ass. I had the same exact issues.
As for adding low end without taking away... impossible. That's not how audio works. Lows, mids, highs work in unison. You can't emphasize one thing without taking away something else. Adding a bit of bass will more than likely recess the mids, and on rare occasion, make treble less crisp.

I don't think I said anything to the contrary?? I think I said I would not be at all surprised if the AD900 > HD 558 for clarity.
Are you saying the HD 558 is bass light compared to the AD900? I had assumed the opposite just based on the reviews.
Although, I have so little experience with this stuff any one of you audio buffs could baffle me with BS and I would simply believe you unless I heard for myself. LOL

I own the ATH-AD700s and the HD558s. The HD558s have more bass then the ATH-AD700
Now I do wear some bass heavy headphones, DT990, and when I switch back to using the HD558, the bass is lighter then the DT990, but still very decent.
So I would find it hard to believe that the AD900 would have more bass then the HD558s.
Could the AD900 have a more quality sounding bass, maybe,

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #5,254 of 48,579

Quote:

What? No. I'm fairly certain the HD558 has more bass. I wouldn't trust open design Audio Technicas for bass.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5,256 of 48,579

Quote:
...fullsize headphones which DHP was actually developed for. 

Well, having looked into it somewhat, it appears Dolby Headphone was developed with in ear canal based microphones, and essentially treats all headphones as IEM, because I think they assume, even in the case of circumaurals, that the outer ear's role is negligible.

However, in the case of virtual speaker surround sound, rather than headphone surround sound, they do have to take into account the effect of the user's outer ear.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #5,257 of 48,579
Hello Guys

I've been reading about Gaming Headphones to use with my PS3 for quite some time now, but only just decided on which one is my favorite.

I want a versatile headphone, one that's great for gaming and good for other uses.  Im not a bass guy, but i want enough bass for the music (mostly rock, avant-garde electronic, and jazz variants) movies to have power.

So, after reading a lot on it, i decided on getting the Q701.  They seem to be good-sounding, balanced, detailed, a bass-heavy enough for my taste.  With the HD598 being a VERY close second place.
I'm on the right track, right?

How's the durability on them?  I live on Brazil, and I'm importing the phones, if they break, well, I'm screwed.

How's the comfort level between these two?  My hat size is 8.

Can i use any other kind of amp or mixamp other than the Astros? They are kind of hard to find on line anywhere other than Astro's site, which does not ship to Brazil.  What other amps work well with Dolby Headphone? Information on this is scarce.

How's the Mixamp on the Trittons? They cost the same as the Astro mixamp but come with the headphone (which can be resold!).

How's the sound leakage? I don't live alone, but there's some leniency concerning sound.  Not so much, but there's some.  But I don't wanna feel like a walking boombox every time I'm playing.  I know they are open, and that they do leak.  For reference, the volume setting seems to be loud enough for most people on 50%. Whats the leakage like at that?  Loud enough to bother people watching TV at another room?

And just as a curiosity for you.  The Q701 is currently 250 dollars on Amazon.  In Brazil, they go for 3000 Reais.  This is equivalent to 1600 dollars!  To put in perspective, its cheaper for me to hop on a plane to Miami (cheapest flight between Brazil and the US), buy my setup there and return, than it is to buy the stuff here in Brazil.  Brazilian taxes, duty fees, import rates and such are absolutely ridiculous!

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #5,258 of 48,579
Hi
I'm searching for a good pair of headphones to use for playing call of duty competitivily (cod4:mw). My budget is 70$, that is with shipping included. I want good positioning audio and deepht to hear from where and how far someone is. So far I'm unsure about which headphones to choose, but theres some I have in mind:
JVC HA-RX700 (I've heard that they are good for gaming, but I dont know how good they are for COMPETITIVE gaming)
Superlux HD668B (I've read that they have good soundstage and detail, but I dont know how they are for gaming)
Creative live aurvana (Will be getting these if no one can tell me how the above headphones perform)
I would really appriciate if someone own any of these and could give their opinion.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #5,259 of 48,579

Quote:
I'm searching for a good pair of headphones to use for playing call of duty competitivily (cod4:mw). My budget is 70$, that is with shipping included. I want good positioning audio and deepht to hear from where and how far someone is. So far I'm unsure about which headphones to choose, but theres some I have in mind:
JVC HA-RX700 (I've heard that they are good for gaming, but I don't know how good they are for COMPETITIVE gaming)
Superlux HD668B (I've read that they have good sound stage and detail, but I don't know how they are for gaming)
Creative Live Aurvana (Will be getting these if no one can tell me how the above headphones perform)
I would really appriciate if someone own any of these and could give their opinion.

I would say go with the HD668B, your ears will last longer with semi-open headphones, the other two are closed.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #5,263 of 48,579
Apr 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #5,264 of 48,579

Quote:
Quote:
I would say go with the HD668B, your ears will last longer with semi-open headphones, the other two are closed.

Do you know how 3D positioning is with these? I dont really care how long my ears will last :p Also, if someone can recommend another set of headphones would be good.

Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) it's like the HD668B's half brother, has good feedback from gamers.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, it's only $20 more for Velour pads for it.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5,265 of 48,579

Quote:

The Zalman Zm-Mic1?
It's currently $8.90 at Amazon.

I have that mic and can't do party chat without hearing the chat in the lobby.  There was another mic I saw and it was a bit more expensive than then the Zalman Zm-Mic1.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back