Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #4,246 of 48,578

I've been snooping around and just had to post my 2cents for mysterious. lol. **** the 770's, bud. When you shop for electronics you gotta think "expandability". No point dishing out a lot of moolah on something outdated, that wont benefit you in the long run. I'd bite the bullet and go with the 990's, worst case scenerio is you HATE them and get a refund within the 2 week trial period. I personally own the 990 600 which are absolutely phenomenal, to say the least. I just bought the lyr for them today too :)

At the end of the day its your money, good luck and I hope you enjoy your new set of cans, whichever they may be.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #4,247 of 48,578

I've been snooping around and just had to post my 2cents for mysterious. lol. **** the 770's, bud. When you shop for electronics you gotta think "expandability". No point dishing out a lot of moolah on something outdated, that wont benefit you in the long run. I'd bite the bullet and go with the 990's, worst case scenerio is you HATE them and get a refund within the 2 week trial period. I personally own the 990 600 which are absolutely phenomenal, to say the least. I just bought the lyr for them today too :)

At the end of the day its your money, good luck and I hope you enjoy your new set of cans, whichever they may be.

Not all of us have the cash for two "expendable" cans, especially when some of us do a lot of travelling...

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #4,249 of 48,578
Quote:
The 990s are open, the 880s are semi-open, the 770s are closed.

The 880 does not have much isolation, so it is closer to an open headphone in practice. Although these are similar and built around the same drivers, the 770 does sacrifice some sound quality for the isolation, so unless you need that, or prefer the 770's sound with the emphasized sub-bass, the 990 may indeed be better.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #4,250 of 48,578
Was @ Danny who thought higher number meant it was just an upgraded model.  When the entire line is meant to co exist and serve people with different needs.

Quote:

The 880 does not have much isolation, so it is closer to an open headphone in practice. Although these are similar and built around the same drivers, the 770 does sacrifice some sound quality for the isolation, so unless you need that, or prefer the 770's sound with the emphasized sub-bass, the 990 may indeed be better.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #4,251 of 48,578
Put your pitchfork away. From what I've read, I've concluded they're inferrior to ME, better?. If I had a $200 budget id want something that still has potential(if i wanted to add an amp into the mix at one point), more bang for my buck IMO.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #4,252 of 48,578

Quote:
Also is it true that the 250 ohm versions are easier to amp than the 80 amp versions ?

I found the 80-Ohm easier to drive then the 250-Ohm.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #4,254 of 48,578
You're not funny. Go find another thread to troll.

Eta: my lyr just shipped, will be here by Saturday. I can't wait! :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #4,255 of 48,578
Quote:
You're not funny. Go find another thread to troll.
Eta: my lyr just shipped, will be here by Saturday. I can't wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well excuuuuse me. If I remember right I wasn't the one who came in here saying "screw headphone XYZ..."

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #4,256 of 48,578
Let's be civil guys. I understood him. He was implying that the 990s are better than the 770s overall based on what I said, which IMHO is absolutely true.

While the 3 popular Beyers are meant to co-exist, the 770 Pro 80 and 990s are both bass and treble centric headphones. Based off sound alone, the 990's open design leads to better overall SQ for gaming and movies over the closed/restricted sound of the 770s (in comparison).

In conclusion, the 990s are a better buy unless you absolutely need isolation and keep sounds in.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4,257 of 48,578
Quote:
While the 3 popular Beyers are meant to co-exist, the 770 Pro 80 and 990s are both bass and treble centric headphones. Based off sound alone, the 990's open design leads to better overall SQ for gaming and movies over the closed/restricted sound of the 770s (in comparison).
In conclusion, the 990s are a better buy unless you absolutely need isolation and keep sounds in.

I'd have to agree, though I think the fact that the 770s don't really need an amp to drive them helps them out a little as well.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #4,258 of 48,578

Quote:
I'd have to agree, though I think the fact that the 770s don't really need an amp to drive them helps them out a little as well.

No amp for the DT-770 Pro 80? I have to disagree. Even on a Sansa Fuze with LOD to Nuforce Icon Mobile and they barely get enough volume on high gain.
The E7 should have similar results. When I had one I was kind of surprised they didn't get very loud from most portable devices.

Even the 32 ohm Beyer DT-770-990s have never been easy to drive based on my experience with them.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #4,259 of 48,578

Quote:

Unless you have some sort of hearing loss I don't agree with this. I have stated numerous times the DT990 pros don't need an amp. The 600 ohms might like an amp to join the mix but that also applies to the 770 as well and again is subjective to that persons listening experience. Even I don't know. Some days I sit here looking at the 600ohms and my volume levels and wish I had bought a premium. Then I read Mal's comments on the pro vs premium and I calm down.

I am really starting to see that a person that gets interested in this hobby in most cases will have to buy 2 or more headphones to tryout till they find the one they love. Even then more and more people are getting multiple headphones for multiple uses and genres. All we can do is point them in the right direction. From there it is up to their ears.

Even the bass in the HD598 is starting to shine. That is a headphone that needs some burn in. Whether it is mechanical or head who knows all I know is I am starting to enjoy them. To think I was ready to let them go. No way they have a nice comfortable spot in my collection. They are my Daft Punk headphones after all. (Yes I am turning into "that" guy.)

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #4,260 of 48,578
Mine have no trouble with my iPod 5G. Also never had any trouble when using friends phones or 5+ year old laptops with onboard audio, the fact that it didn't sound good on those wasn't from lack of amping.

From everything I've heard the 32ohm are as hard to drive as the 250s, as screwy as that sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back